bosco

ribs and salmon?????

We have some friends down from Florida.  For those of you who know my story of how I started cooking on BBQ, it all began with a trip to Florida 4 years ago.  Our friends from Florida have a big green egg.... and after my first smoked piece of red meat, I was hooked.  I owe everything that I love about this hobby to these people!!  

So they came down to Canada for their first visit.  Las night we took them to Niagara Falls and on the Maid of the Mist, and a dinner at the Keg over looking the falls.

Today I decided to treat the man that got me into this mess with some home cooked Kamado grub!!  I could not afford to disappoint.  He loves ribs.... she loves salmon.

As any good host would have it.... I made both.  

Picked up some fresh local corn and soaked it in a water and sugar bath and grilled at 400 degrees direct.  This is our season for corn and I try and get locally picked corn every week.

_DSC1098.jpg

my next door neighbour was away and brought me home some delicious BBQ sauces to try

_DSC1100.jpg

ribs were cooked low and slow at 225 for 6 hours.  At the 4 hour mark, I spritzed them with a cider vinegar and apple juice.  I made three St. Louis Cut sides with three different seasonings.  

I used John Henry's Summer time Peach, a home rub from a local BBQ joint and a new rub from texas that my good friend Robert sent me

These ribs were cooked just right and smoked to hell and back with Texas Peach wood!!!

_DSC1101.jpg

_DSC1103.jpg

The salmon was cooked at 375 indirect with a garlic and herb marinade.  I may have fallen back in love with salmon today....

_DSC1106.jpg

Sorry no plated shot today as the Canuck beers have caught up to me....

I can not wait to be able to be cooking on a KK and showing it off in all of my pics.  I am for now an outsider... dying to join your club!!

bosceaux - yet another beautiful cook! Those ribs are just a gorgeous color. Major league kudos on a wonderful cook!

But cherry? Bucko, I thought you were a peach wood only these days! Are you dipping your toe in the fruitwood pool? Will we see something with apple wood next? What about something like orange wood? Have you thought about the nut woods, i.e. pecan, oak, almond, walnut?

Are you interested in some coffee wood? I've got a bit that I'm shipping to @tinyfish this week and I might as well get you some as well.

CC I had hit the 35 lbs of butts today cooked 17 hours over night with a ton of peach wood.  Today I used a bit of cherry on some moink balls.  I really like cherry but realized just how much I love peach.

I love pecan wood, and would love to try some coffee wood!!!

CC I had hit the 35 lbs of butts today cooked 17 hours over night with a ton of peach wood.  Today I used a bit of cherry on some moink balls.  I really like cherry but realized just how much I love peach.

I love pecan wood, and would love to try some coffee wood!!!

bosceaux - PM your address to me and I'll get that coffee wood out to you this week when I send TinyTony his.