MacKenzie

First KK Ribs

Baby back ribs are the first cook of the day but it was just a glorious morning that I took some yard pixs about 7:30 so the light is very yellow:)

Since getting the KK I have had a rough out door kitchen built so that come this winter I'll be grilling comfort. For the past 2 weeks I have been doing the finishing of the ODK, deck and sunroom which was stripped and sanded. It was my job to sand the sunroom to get rid of the felt left by power washing and then to put the new finish on. I am so glad to have just finished it all today and the paint brush went into the garbage along with my staining clothes. I am so thankful it is all over.

Aiz3Jsa.jpg

BXohGhM.jpg

Come winter when the snow flies I'll be here snug as a bug watching the birds and squirrels. :)

A25o8pe.jpg

A monster sun flower.

ztIdaE6.jpg

Now that I've taken the pixs and fed the critters it's time to start Pebbles for the first rib cook.

2fPMuhm.jpg

Baby back ribs on Pebbles.

PNqIfLD.jpg

About 5.5 hrs at 225F and I'm calling done. :)

XCCDnMB.jpg

The meat was tender, moist with some bite.

Rib slices -

hMRSZ8c.jpg

Plated.  They were actually more moist than they appear in these shots.

Cz1jo59.jpg

Now I'm on to the next cook, sour dough bread;)

You have a beautiful set up MacKenzie! The trees, sunflowers and your outdoor kitchen is so inviting that I'd never be in the house! I'll bet you have a lot of birds coming to visit those sunflowers. And by the way, the ribs appear to be perfect. Nice color and juiciness. Well done!

Great set up.

Curious... I have heard rumour that you were aide hard primo user. As many know I aka KJ die hard so here is my question...

Do you still use/love the primo??

And will you eventually replace it with another kk??

I ask because I am struggling for reasons to justify owning 5 kamados and a gasser.

Thanks

Bosco, I sure was but now that I've graduated there is no going back. I still own the Jr and it may get replaced but first I'd need to sell it and have not made any effort to do that. It's there for a pinch. If I replace it it will definitely be with a KK.  Personally I can't see why you'd want to cook on Primo, Big G. or KJ, etc.(I do think that Primo is the best of that group though.) or even a gasser after the KK experience.

Getting a KK is not a sideways move it is a major move up .:)

Great set up.

Curious... I have heard rumour that you were aide hard primo user. As many know I aka KJ die hard so here is my question...

Do you still use/love the primo??

And will you eventually replace it with another kk??

I ask because I am struggling for reasons to justify owning 5 kamados and a gasser.

Thanks

Bosco I don't miss my BGE at all. Like I posted, regular kamados look funny now beside a KK.

well those that follow my posts on the KG... my wife has put her foot down with respect to the gasser.  That puppy aint going anywhere lol!  that is her go to grill when I am working.

So with the 23/32 combo coming... I am struggling to figure out what will work.  I love my KJs and have been a proud owner for the past two years.  It is a wonderful brand and a great company behind it.  I think the jr. will stay with me no matter what I do.  

The more I read about the KK brand, the more I believe that these will be my go to grills ...  

Thanks for answering MacKenzie... you're comments solidified what I was already thinking

I've said this before, other grills are like your old, dependable pick up truck. They work fine, and there's no reason to change. Why in the world would I want to mess with something that does such a good job? Then you see a kk. Then you see the color tile combo that takes your breath away. Then the price, "what? I'm not paying that for a grill!" You walk away. Then you get back on the site, to look at "the one". Then it starts to call. The variable here is will power, if you're weak like me, you called Dennis right away. Then it's over, the grill is ordered. "What have I done", quickly turns into, "when is it getting here?" It arrives, and you can't believe what you're seeing, "this thing is massive!". You take the crate off, "WOW!". As you unpack, it's better than any Christmas in memory! Things just keep coming! You open the lid for the first time, expecting the weight you're used to, but no! It opens itself!! Then, "man, these grates are heavy!". You get it in place, fire it up, and the temp gauge starts to move. You adjust the vents, the temp response is almost immediate! You do the burn in, here, everybody's experience is different. My first, I had a tile lift, and the liquid bubble out, I just let it go, then closed the vents, pushed the tile back as it cooled, now I can't find the spot where it happened. Finally, after your first few cooks, you look at that old truck, and say, sorry, you gotta go!

Robert

• Like 1