wilburpan

Second try with Chicago style deep dish pizza: success!

I made another Chicago style deep dish pizza this past weekend, using the same recipe that I had used before. I made two important changes this time.

First, I made sure I cooked the pizza at 450ºF, instead of 550ºF. Total cooking time was about 35 minutes.

Second, and I think this was the more significant change, when I let the dough rise, this time I heated my oven to 100ºF, put the dough in the oven, and then shut the oven off. The dough rose to a significantly higher volume than the last time.

Both changes paid off in the crust. It was much easier to spread out the crust in the pan. The outer crust was not as hard as it was last time, and overall there was a general increased lightness to the crust that was new.

At this point, I’m really close to the taste of Chicago style deep dish pizza that I grew up with. I’d like to get the crust to have a little more buttery flavor to it, so I may bump up the amount of corn oil in the dough recipe a little.

In addition, Italian sausage here in New Jersey is not as flavorful as Italian sausage in Chicago. Italian sausage here is pretty bland. Weird, considering it’s not like there aren’t any Italians in New Jersey. It could be that Italian sausage recipes in Chicago are influenced by the Eastern European population there. Maybe that’s why pepperoni is the most popular topping here in NJ, whereas sausage is the most popular pizza topping in the Chicago area. I need to figure out what it is that is missing from the Italian sausage here. Maybe it’s fennel seed.

Here are some pictures. And thanks to everyone for their input on my last Chicago style deep dish pizza cook! It really helped.

23064359459_1500d9cb3c_c.jpg

23349784501_1876397c86_c.jpg

23349785591_8257fc47e2_c.jpg

Really awesome deep dish. The money shot itself looks like an improvement. Very tasty looking.

Glad it all worked out. 35 minutes at 450* sounds right to me.

If you're interested in additional toppings pull it after 20 minutes, add some extra toppings and a bit more mozzarella then put it back in for the final 15 minutes or until the top cheese is browned. Not a traditional version but sure makes a good pie.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT