Jon B.

First Overnight Cook On Mac the KK.

Redhead Sue's work Christmas/Holiday party is today........Cooked up a couple of Boston Butt's for her to take to work.

KK Coffee lump, apple & hickory wood, no divider stone, drip pan on main grate, butts on upper grate, yellow mustard & Dizzy Pig on butts, 12 hours at 250* (rock solid all night),

Last 1 1/2 hours at 300*, cooked until internal temp 204*.  Pulled the pork right off the grill and put it in a heated cooler for Sue to take to work this morning with 5 minutes to spare.  

Waiting to hear the feedback.  We have two good BBQ joints in town....so lots of competition.   I was very happy with the taste, the bark and the aroma of the meat!!

Too much fun  :toothy10: !!!

http://20151216_052527_1.jpeg

Awesome cook buddy. No deflector?? That is interesting!!

Thanks!   Being as it was my first overnight cook on the new KK....i packed the firebox so full of lump & smoking wood that the deflector stone would not sit on top of the basket supports.  I really didn't have time this morning to check out how much lump was left after a 13.5 hours cook.  Wanted to make sure I didn't run out on my first long cook (plus Sue would have skinned me if the meat wasn't ready this morning!!!). 

I did have a half steam pan sitting on top of the round KK drip plate under the meat.  It must have worked as a decent heat deflector, as the steam pan was filled with liquid (didn't burn off). 

I'm thinking the stone might be needed on higher temp "heat soaked" long cooks????? 

I never thought I'd say this, but I think you had too much coal! A KK loaded up below the basket handles will go way longer than any single protien would ever take to cook, so no problem there.

Your make shift deflector did indeed work, it's not necessary to have a stone. I believe Dennis sometimes uses a foil wrapped pan, if that tells anything. That said, unless you're doing a direct grilling cook, always use a deflector, especially on the long, lo/slo cooks.

Congrats, you're well on your way to many plates of delicious food!!

Rob

At this point the only time I like using the stone is if I'm doing a mid temp baking type cook where I'm not using the baking stone.

All other indirect cooks (low or high temp) I'll use the double bottom drip pan as a heat deflector. Sometimes if a piece or two of lump sticks up so it doesn't sit flat I don't worry about it. I put the drip pan in anyway and as the lump burns down the pan will settle down onto the handles.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

I never thought I'd say this, but I think you had too much coal! A KK loaded up below the basket handles will go way longer than any single protien would ever take to cook, so no problem there.  Rob

Rob,  Ken,..................I was under a lot of pressure!!!!  Sue was bragging up my pulled pork to her co-workers so much, that if I had run out of lump and screwed up the cook............ who knows what that crazy redhead would have done?????   :lurk: I thought it might be a little too much lump.......but I was NOT taking any chances!!!l   :occasion5:

• Like 1

At this point the only time I like using the stone is if I'm doing a mid temp baking type cook where I'm not using the baking stone.

All other indirect cooks (low or high temp) I'll use the double bottom drip pan as a heat deflector. Sometimes if a piece or two of lump sticks up so it doesn't sit flat I don't worry about it. I put the drip pan in anyway and as the lump burns down the pan will settle down onto the handles.

I'm really looking forward to the double bottom drip pan for the 19" KK.  Dennis says "soon"!

Plus one on this. I get a quicker heat soak this way and it is easier to add wood after the heat soak. I usually put it on my lower lever grate, not the lump basket handles.

Great looking cook Jon.

Don't worry Jon. I came from an XL Big Green Egg which holds tons of charcoal to the 23" kk which has a smaller charcoal basket. On my 23" first over night cook I stuffed the the basket full like a puzzle and every nook and cranny had charcoal. The next day when I got to inspect how charcoal was left it was still full.