bosco

bosco's Italian Pizza Fatty

First of the month brings a new challenge and I have been thinking about this all of February.  

Today I got up early and got both the 23" set up for low and slow and then 32" up for a bake.  

I started out with some of my home made Hot Italian Sausage that I made late last year.  I skinned them and got them ready for the fatty.  This fatty was made from pork.

Posted Image

after skinning them, I added sliced green olives to the meat and mixed it all up by hand

Posted Image

Next step was to roll the meat out.  Rather than making a total mess, I filled a freezer bag and rolled it out inside the bag.  

Posted Image

I then cut the sides of the bag open with a knife and prepared the stuffing for the fatty

I started with some fresh made pizza sauce

Posted Image

next I added some mozzarella cheese and pepperoni to the middle

Posted Image

next I diced up some mushrooms and hot peppers

Posted Image

using the cut freezer bag, I folded the roll and formed the edges to seal it all up

Posted Image

now time for the bacon!

Posted Image

I weaved the bacon for the outer layer

Posted Image

I thought that an angled bacon wrap would look nicer for presentation.  Man this looks good!!!

Posted Image

Only one way to make this look better........

Lanes BBQ Rub 

Before:

Posted Image

After:

Posted Image

Onto the KK 23" it went at 250 degrees for 5 hours 

A final look before it hits the grill....

_DSC1701.jpg

I used White Oak to give it more of a traditional pizza oven taste.... this was a good call for sure.  It really added a great smoke profile to the meat

_DSC1705.jpg

this thing was smoked well and still super juicy on the inside

I made some pizza dough yesterday in preparation of this cook.  In my mind I thought about making this fatty like a calzone.  I rolled the dough and encased the fatty inside of the pizza dough.  The 32" KK was settled in at 550 degrees with the KK baking stone heat soaked for over 5 hours!!!

_DSC1715.jpg

Once all enclosed, I put this on the 32" KK for about 8 min.

_DSC1716.jpg

I pulled it off and placed it on a bakers rack to let it cool and not get soggy.  The dough was nice and crispy all the way around

_DSC1719-2.jpg

Sliced it open to take a look at the inner working of this fatty.......

_DSC1720-2.jpg

You can see just how juicy it remained inside.  It was incredibly delicious 

_DSC1722-3.jpg

And finally sliced up for lunch!!

_DSC1727.jpg

• Like 2

no it doesn't.  

I am in law enforcement and there was a series on TV called Third Watch.  A character on the show was Officer Boscerelli and they called him bosco.  I had joined a salt water aquarium forum around that time and I went with bosco... the rest is history

I will be honest, this meal was very good, however, I only made it for a monthly challenge that I participate in.  I do not normally cook meals like that. In fact I had a small slice the first night and a small slice for lunch the following day.  My brother in law was visiting and crushed the rest.  

Fatty's make me very nervous lol and so does a lot of traditional BBQ.  I just had this conversation with Rak the other day.  I think the thing that attracted me to a Kamado over a smoker is that I prefer grilling as my main method of cooking.  A Kamado lets me do everything, it is the swiss army knife of cookers!

Yes, agree on the versatility of the KK.  Which, and sounds similar to your requisite, I use it for all things grilling, low-slow smoking, smoke/grilling and baking everything.   We just flat out LOVE what it does for all things vegetables; which is more of our culinary center these days than a big meat cooks.  

And like my stacked enchilada bake, lasagne, et al, it lays down a flavor & texture that just can't be touched by even the SS propane/NG grills I've had in the past that cost me 2-3X as much $.  

When folks ask me about it I find it difficult, even though I have big passion for all things KK, to adequately convey their incredible value.  But usually after a dinner or two prepared for them on the KK...it provides all the meaning and more :D