Shuley

Son`s requested cook.

My 6 year old had to go to the dentist for some work to get done and wasn't feeling the best afterwards. He asks for homemade Mac and cheese and ham. Then he specifies it has to be on the koko kamado. Hahaha. ed40c08f52e027fc95c441ae77a7e61c.jpgbacon because, why not.3cd6cf8320bbee9a094aa28db92b0537.jpgcooked down the onion, mustard powder, dash of cayenne and of course salt and pepper. Garlic right at the end.e0ff69d68cc6b6db386b57cea9a17491.jpgbechamel.81e551da1dc650708c41fdc792b4c2ce.jpgplus cheese and noodles, first layer.fbe3c7833ac4c67b0f1f36ea0cb044e0.jpglayer if the weirdest smoked gouda I have ever seen (my husband went grocery shopping for me) plus bacon.415ef7f334540019025d91d300d67068.jpgon koko.ad473cd35c7bfaf241025266eb675fe6.jpg

On goes the ham steak plus ingredients for the smoked salsa that I made for dinner the next day (today).bfe00d1b62f4dc7cbb8ded0f34f627e2.jpg

What the Mac and cheese looked like. BTW, I opted not to do a bread crumb layer because it's good the first time you have it but always seems kinda soggy in left overs. This worked out well with extra cheddar on top.0354bcdedfe668f07bf0bbc2828b8be7.jpg

My plate with a simple side salad and ham topped with my favorite whole grain mustard. (my son is nuts for the stuff too)

He had two huge helpings and that it is what he wants for his birthday dinner. It's a win in my book.

• Like 1

Makes me feel young again! Your son has good tastes

Nothing like smoked cheddar, or gouda, or Parmesan, or any cheese!

My oldest son is such an adventurous eater! He loves pickled cow's tongue, will eat tons of blue cheese, loves mussels, clams, squid, and any kind of fish I can get a hold of. Oddly enough, it wasn't until recently that he started liking eggs!

2 minutes ago, Shuley said:

My oldest son is such an adventurous eater! He loves pickled cow's tongue, will eat tons of blue cheese, loves mussels, clams, squid, and any kind of fish I can get a hold of. Oddly enough, it wasn't until recently that he started liking eggs!

You are most fortunate! My youngest is just starting to adventure beyond PB&J, Mac&Cheese, boring pizzas and burgers :smt015 My eldest is quite adventurous though, but he just moved out :smt009.

I'm eager to get Dennis' cold smoker unit so I can start cold smoking cheese, steelhead, salmon, nuts and stuff again. I had one that fit my old #7 but that's been sold and replaced with Nimoy (23" KK).

I saw the bacon and thought I'd share....

My wife started baking bacon on a cookie rack (instead of frying). It makes for great presentation and cooks just beautiful if you keep an eye on it. So, of course, it's got to be better in the KK!!!!

So I took a half-slab of thick sliced bacon (Costco) and peppered the heck out of it and smoked it warm at 320 F with hickory pellets (currently out of hickory chunks) on the KK for about 45 minutes. OMG!!! Give it try! I'm planning to slather some in brown sugar and/or AA maple syrup and do it again. It preserves great and adds smokiness to kitchen cooked meals and highlights salads too. Too much fun :smt026

Make sure to have a drip pan under the rack to catch the bacon fat (you don't want flare-ups or soot), but don't discard it. Reserve it and use it as a butter substitute when so inclined, like corn on the cob or my favorite: an omelette.

Edited by BBQKaeding
bacon fat

You are most fortunate! My youngest is just starting to adventure beyond PB&J, Mac&Cheese, boring pizzas and burgers :smt015 My eldest is quite adventurous though, but he just moved out :smt009.

I'm eager to get Dennis' cold smoker unit so I can start cold smoking cheese, steelhead, salmon, nuts and stuff again. I had one that fit my old #7 but that's been sold and replaced with Nimoy (23" KK).

My youngest (2) is fairly adventurous in his willingness to try new things....however his tastes are not nearly as adventurous as his brother`s. That's ok though. We just tell them both they have to try everything (even one bite) and they can't say that something is disgusting.

It's really weird because I didn't even like blue cheese until after I had my first child and had them paired with strawberries. I just kept trying it and then one day it clicked! Hopefully my youngest will get a little more adventurous with time. It's ok if he doesn't as well.

33 minutes ago, Shuley said:

My youngest (2) is fairly adventurous in his willingness to try new things....however his tastes are not nearly as adventurous as his brother`s. That's ok though. We just tell them both they have to try everything (even one bite) and they can't say that something is disgusting.

It's really weird because I didn't even like blue cheese until after I had my first child and had them paired with strawberries. I just kept trying it and then one day it clicked! Hopefully my youngest will get a little more adventurous with time. It's ok if he doesn't as well.

I hear you. Blue cheese is typically an acquired taste and I too learned to enjoy it with strawberries - on a salad with walnuts. I can't tell where you're from based on your profile, but I can tell you the best blue cheese I've found happens to be made in my proverbial backyard: Rogue Creamery Smokey Blue

The creamery is world renowned and has won many international awards. 

Edited by BBQKaeding

BTW, I opted not to do a bread crumb layer because it's good the first time you have it but always seems kinda soggy in left overs.

Totally agree with that. Now we'll do a bread crumb layer on part of it and save the other part for leftovers. They also make a French's Fried Onions in cheddar flavor that work really well in Mac n Cheese.

BTW - Great looking Mac n Cheese.

Reef's Bistro

14 hours ago, BBQKaeding said:

Make sure to have a drip pan under the rack to catch the bacon fat (you don't want flare-ups or soot), but don't discard it. Reserve it and use it as a butter substitute when so inclined, like corn on the cob or my favorite: an omelette.

Ding, ding, ding - we have another winner! Bacon grease in everything!!! Gonna have to try it on Corn on the Cob now. :smt023

• Like 1

Have to try mac n cheese one day yours looks good not a big thing here well at least when I was growing up . I love danish blue cheese wonder how that would go in Mac n cheese hmmm

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill♨

I never had homemade Mac n cheese as a child, it wasn't something my parents ever made. I feel like I am making up for lost time!

That's not really fair though, my parents cooked a lot of good food. They loved in NOLA for 6 years before I was born so I got to have a lot of Cajun food which is not common where I am from.

Totally agree with that. Now we'll do a bread crumb layer on part of it and save the other part for leftovers. They also make a French's Fried Onions in cheddar flavor that work really well in Mac n Cheese.

BTW - Great looking Mac n Cheese.

Reef's Bistro

That sounds like another good idea! Do they get any less soggy than regular breadcrumbs.