Nuprin

First Cook on "Maleficent"

Hey everyone, thanks again for all the great comments.  The green tile is a beauty.  Decided to name her "Maleficent" since she turns into a green dragon as a second form and quoting my friend to tried the pork tenderloin, "what comes out of there is sorcery!"

I'll be contacting Dennis soon to discuss some possible upgrades but here first things first, the first cook!  It was just some chicken kabobs, a chicken breast and a pork tenderloin with some of my favorite butt rub and rosemary seasoning.  Talk a bout tender!  I've always praised the results of Sous-Vide chicken and pork, but there's no need with a KK.  I was dumbfound as the chicken breast I pulled off continued to drip a stream of juice for about 15 seconds straight (from the places I probed it with the Thermapen).  Even though I cooked both the chicken breast and tenderloin to 160f, it had the texture of cooking them at 145f in the Sous-Vide.  Amazing!  Can't wait to try a brisket.

IMG_3937.JPG

IMG_3938.JPG

IMG_3939.JPG

IMG_3947.JPG

IMG_3948.JPG

Edited by Nuprin
  • Like 2

Thanks everyone!  I can see all of you laughing a little and saying "now he understands".  My Ana Nova Sous-vide is gonna get lonely.  I though I was going to have to use it all the time for chicken and pork loins...but this makes me even lazier!  I think a thick steak will be next.  Curious to see what the difference will be. 

• Like 1

Great looking first cook. Love the name.

Anytime I have a easy chicken dish (pot pie, dumplings, chicken and rice etc.....) I always grill the boneless breasts first. Only takes a few minutes and really pushes those types of dishes over the top.

Reef's Bistro

4 hours ago, ckreef said:

Great looking first cook. Love the name.

Anytime I have a easy chicken dish (pot pie, dumplings, chicken and rice etc.....) I always grill the boneless breasts first. Only takes a few minutes and really pushes those types of dishes over the top.

Reef's Bistro

Funny you mention Chicken Pot Pie...my wife was just talking about that over dinner, asked me if we could make that in the KK.  I said we should try the Mac & Cheese first since the kids love that.  Any suggestions on a grill temp for Mac & Cheese?  I was gonna use dutch oven to cook it in unless there's a better suggestion.

1 hour ago, tony b said:

@Nuprin As you can see from our thread on the Forum, your  Anova will still get plenty of use. So don't be putting it on Craigslist just yet. 

@5698k :smt046

Today I grabbed a cheap, on sale flat iron steak to test out in the KK and put the lower level grate (not directly on the charcoal basket) with a moderately filled charcoal basket and got the dome temp to about 750f.  The steak was about 1.25 inches thick and a little bit cold in the center coming straight from the grocery store. It took about 8 minutes of searing to get both sides nice and caramelized, and while usually that's enough to cook the center to a nice medium-rare, the steak was still reading 105f.  Let it cook about 4 minutes and still the same internal reading.  I dialed down the temp to about 350f so I wouldn't char the outside at this point and cooked the steak another 20 minutes before pulling it off.  It still only read 125f-130f.  A little bit of gray on the edges but otherwise a nice medium-rare.  Sorry forgot to take pics.

If I had done this on the KJ, I would have had a lot more brown, over-cooked meat when the center reached 130f.  This now makes sense with the chicken and pork loin I did previously where the center stays so moist, it doesn't cook as fast it seems while allowing the outside to get a good browning.  Previously I would sous-vide my steams to about 110f for less than an hour and then hit a hot grill on the KJ until internal of 130f.  Now I believe I can sous-vide (a thick steak) at 120f-125f and hit the KK at charcoal basket level super hot for just a couple of minutes, getting great caramelization while raising the internal temps to the desired 130f-135f.  

Can't wait to try it!

Funny you mention Chicken Pot Pie...my wife was just talking about that over dinner, asked me if we could make that in the KK.  I said we should try the Mac & Cheese first since the kids love that.  Any suggestions on a grill temp for Mac & Cheese?  I was gonna use dutch oven to cook it in unless there's a better suggestion.

For Mac n Cheese we've always used a ceramic baking dish. Cooked it around 375* until the top was properly done. Sometimes we cover it the last 15 minutes if the top browned too quickly.

For chicken pot pie I use the Sear Then Bake method. Quickly sear the chicken. Pull the chicken then setup for indirect 375*. Go inside build the pot pie using the grilled chicken. Take it back out and finish cooking it like it was in an oven.

Although the baking phase will get a little smoke profile to the dough top the seared chicken is what really makes it stand out.

Reef's Bistro

Thanks Charles!  Once I get through the hundreds of other things I want to cook on the KK, I'll eventually get to trying a pot pie.  Partly because I've never made chicken pot pie before!

Oh and I got the plug for the KK probe port.  Thanks a million again.  Once I get some fresh bottles of that Rub, I send it off next week!

Edited by Nuprin

Thanks Charles!  Once I get through the hundreds of other things I want to cook on the KK, I'll eventually get to trying a pot pie.  Partly because I've never made chicken pot pie before!

Oh and I got the plug for the KK probe port.  Thanks a million again.  Once I get some fresh bottles of that Rub, I send it off next week!

TY Nuprin will keep my eye out. - chicken pot pie is a quick weeknight cook when you get home from work late and need something quick and tasty. I can whip one out in 60 minutes. 90 minutes at the most.

Reef's Bistro