ckreef

Vacationing at the Bistro

How come whenever I go see friends, at their request I might add, I never get fed like this, Charles?  Awesome cooks!  Kudos.

Maybe you just need different friends ;-) Come on down I'll feed you a true Bistro meal.

I bet when you feed them they get a world class meal.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

@ckreef That sounds like a great day, even before the meal.  If you will forgive a brief reminiscence.  I grew up in Warner Robins, GA, right down the street from Lane.  We often took day trips to Andersonville.  My grandfather was involved in the produce and agriculture business and was close personal friends with the Lane family. I have spent hours of my life in and around the lane packing shed while Grandaddy talked business with Duke, Bobby, Duke Jr., and Stevie.  I bet I have eaten 50 gallons of their peach ice cream in my lifetime.  To this day, when I go home, I always take my kids by there for ice cream, peaches, and pecans. Truly a hidden gem in Middle Georgia!

The cook looks pretty awesome too, but I got a little misty eyed hearing someone else extolling the beauty of Lane...

but I got a little misty eyed hearing someone else extolling the beauty of Lane...

We live near where hwy 96 and I-16 intersect. We go into Warner Robbins all the time. We have been going to Lane Packing once or twice a year for over 15 years now. I love going there and seeing the Peach packing system in action. My sister and BIL thought it was really kewl.

Tuesday we went to the Atlanta Aquarium - a true world class aquarium. First time for sister and BIL, they loved it.

My sister mentioned that she had not had my mom's chicken and dumplings for a few years now (since before my mom passed away) so I figured I would whip up a couple of pots worth. I used leftover chicken from the rotisserie chicken cook. I did this cook inside - it's just easier than on the grill.

a1275b1c28a3712d47d58f7eefb7913c.jpg

0ba6393d0bbdb8c31b9735e38e8c0b88.jpg

After dinner we were sitting out in the garden letting dinner settle before desert. At around 9:30 pm Mrs skreef pointed up to the sky, "Hey I think that's the International Space Station!" We watched it cruise across the sky. I then Google searched it's fly over schedule and sure enough that was what we saw. BIL had never seen a fly over and thought it was really kewl.

At about this time Prometheus (16.5" KK) was up to temperature so it was time to whip together desert. Peaches stuffed with cheesecake. One of my favorite deserts during peach season.

49cdf11fa1b1f7d46ce5c63d136538c8.jpg

ca4ce1a919f191dd402326b271a86360.jpg

1e88ca4008d8b94f6fe09ebf9e63f2a8.jpg

• Like 1

Wednesday we decided to sleep in. When we finally got up and moving I had a quick project that needed me to take a measurement in the crawl space under the house. While down there I figured out my 15 year old hot water heater had a leak :-(

Spent the day going to town getting a new hot water heater and installing it. Now there's a fun way to spend a vacation day - NOT - LOL

With that done it was time to make some pizzas. Got my sister involved. I stretched the dough and she built the pies.

Ham and black olives.

White Margarita.

Pepperoni.

Sliced tomatoes and Jalapeño.

35a782907de0cdaf443374519abb647a.jpg

0bc6da62c8c329f8e6d719aa597ea4b7.jpg

371ff3c7be8ad8a7d33785d4884ba3d2.jpg

b6a835da3697d24f0307db6a9575b4ad.jpg

In the haste to get eating I guess I forgot to take a picture of the last pie (sliced tomato and Jalapeño).

• Like 2

Charles - gorgeous pies!  I especially love that ham and black olive pie.  Major league goodness.  Kudos!

Im thinking your sister a d BIL have already gained something like 10 pounds apiece and will have to leave at the end of the week just to lose weight! 

These are some great cooks!  

• Like 1