dstr8

Brunch Souffle on the Incredibly Versatile Komodo Kamado

There just isn't a cook that can't be done better than on a Komodo Kamado including egg souffles.   I'm no stranger to all things souffle, breakfast, brunch and dessert type; however this is my first souffle bake on my Komodo Kamado.

And yes, it will happen again...its that much better!

Wild local porcini mushroom/king oyster and onion duxelles anchors this souffle with a saute of diced crooked yellow squash & spinach from our neighbor's garden...

The Incredibly Versatile Komodo Kamado!

FullSizeRender (5).jpg

FullSizeRender (6).jpg

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

dstr, sounds delicious  and looks delicious. You  know if we had the recipe I bet we could come close to your. ;)

Its so easy.   Here's what I used today:    Serves 4.   Ok...I lied...it serves me + 1.5 :D

4 egg yolks

5 egg whites, room temp

3T butter 

3T AP flour

1C hot milk

White pepper

Worcestershire 

Dry mustard

Nutmeg

Pinch of cayenne

Cup of your favorite grated cheese (I used a little smoky Blue + raw aged cheddar + goat Feta)

Souffle dish (un-glazed bottom preferred); buttered sides & bottom then coated with grated parmesan or bread crumbs...

Sautéed veggies, spinach + mushroom Duxelles.   Anything goes here.   One of my favorites is a New Mexico style souffle:  Roasted poblanos & New Mexican green peppers + saute'd onions...aged dry cheddar or jack for the cheese portion.  Lump crab/lobster + Monterey Jack isn't bad either :D

Make a roux...let it develop some color (and hence flavor :)).   Add 1/2t dry mustard, 1/2t Worcestershire sauce, white pepper to taste and a pinch of cayenne.   Off burner/heat:  Whisk in the hot milk...incorporate slowly to avoid lumps.  Back on medium heat until sauce thickens.   Off heat whisk in 1 egg yolk at a time...until smooth and creamy.   Pour into a large bowl and set aside.

Make sure the bowl you will whip the egg whites is super clean and devoid of any fat or soap film.   I use white vinegar to rinse the beater & bowl...leaving a little in the bowl...works in leu of creme of tartar ;).   

Whip the egg whites to soft peak...if you don't want your souffle to collapse immediately after removing from the oven/KK then pay heed to soft peak and no further.

Fold about 1/3 of the whipped whites into the egg yolk mixture and throughly whisk to incorporate along with all but 1/4C of the grated cheese.   Then carefully fold in the remaining whites.   Pour enough batter into the prepped souffle dish to about 1/3 volume or so.   Spoon your filling atop the batter then top with the remaining egg mixture.   Sprinkle the remaining grated cheese over the top and then, using a butter knife or spatula, trace a circle about 1" in from the outside lip of the souffle dish about 1" deep.   This will add, once baked, a nice "hat" style rim to the souffle.

Bake at 400º for about 30-minutes or until golden brown.   My KK was a little on the hot side at 475º so I closed all vents...and it baked in about 35-minutes to perfection...they're not super particular about the heat as long as its reasonable.   

Edited by dstr8

5 hours ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Does anybody ever use her stove anymore? (sic)

What stove? After I remodeled my kitchen, there's no classic oven, just a cook top, a counter top convection oven (which is used mostly for heating up breads), and the microwave above the cook-top.  

@dstr8 -  thanks for several good tips. I've never seen the white vinegar bath to purge the mixing bowl. I knew about the need to remove the fats and soap, but no one ever said how? And I've never seen the tip about tracing the ring in the top before.

And lastly, you had me with this little tidbit! 

3 hours ago, dstr8 said:

One of my favorites is a New Mexico style souffle:  Roasted poblanos & New Mexican green peppers + saute'd onions...aged dry cheddar or jack for the cheese portion.  Lump crab/lobster + Monterey Jack isn't bad either

Oh, hea-yall Yeah! 

• Like 1