MacKenzie

I Made Syzygies Bread Recipe Today

It is bread that is made using home ground flour and I was anxious to try it. This is his recipe:

Recipe attached. 45% red winter wheat, 10% rye, 10% soft wheat berries. A lighter blend for summer, we up the whole grains in winter.

Sourdough Bread (45-10-10-10).pdf

I only had enough winter wheat berries to make one loaf but that was probably a good thing. If it didn't work I only have 1 bad loaf to eat. :)

Here is a pix of the leaven-

Leavan.jpg

Autolyse stage-

Autolyse Stage.jpg

Ready for 2 hours proofing-

Ready for Proofing.jpg

Finally ready for the KK.

Ready to Bake.jpg

Baked @ 450F for 20 mins, next time I'll do 425K for a little longer.

Loaf is Baked.jpg

The crumb.

Crumb.jpg

It is delicious and I will be definitely be making this bread again. Both the aroma and taste were wonderful. I'm dying to try a slice with some nice cheese on it.:)

Syzygies, I have a couple of questions for you:

1. Did you make the loaf by hand or did you use a mixer? I did it totally by hand but I am thinking I'll use the mixer next time.

2. At what temp. did you bake your loaves?

Thanks again for the recipe. :)

I did make an attempt to score the bread but it was moving sideways and I didn't want to mess too long trying to get the slashed done. Hopefully next time.

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 2

Awesome!

I'm not opposed to using a stand mixer, but recently I always work the dough by hand. Many years ago Laurie and I went to seminar on artisan loaves, and the takeaway was "Yep, doughs can be messy wet to work with. Get over it! Did you ever mud a wall? Some tasks in life are like that!" (I paraphrase greatly.) So I'm totally used to this dough.

I tend to bake at 450 F for 35 minutes. It of course depends on the oven. Sometimes I juggle onto a pizza screen outdoors on the KK, if my stone got too hot. Yours didn't.

Indoors or out, I use plenty of steam. 400g or so of water or ice, onto a giant cast iron skillet with two rolls of SS chain. This idea popularized by Bouchon Bakery, though it predates them. The advantage of a thin block of ice (freeze in ziplock or chamber vacuum bag) is the delay, time to close the KK before several KK volumes of steam are produced. Commercial bread ovens do this by design at the start of each bake.

I saw recently that Tartine Bakery is moving to freshly ground flours. There's a lot of misinformation and confusion about "green" flours. Bought flour has been aged for weeks, and fresh flour can be challenging. I've seen it said that very freshly ground flour was fine, but that wasn't my experience. Hence the ascorbic acid, which I learned from a professional book by Michel Suas. Unfortunately there's also plenty of misinformation about ascorbic acid, people try way too much then recoil in horror. Suas proposes 20 parts per million, I settled on 40 ppm. One mixes ascorbic acid with white flour 1:20, very thoroughly, then mixes that 1:20 with white flour, for the 1:440 AA mixture listed in the recipe. That turns parts per million into something one can measure and use; I call for 12 grams.

If you didn't use steam or ascorbic acid, then you surely have a gift for baking. That bread looks great. And I know it tastes great. We've bought both Tartine and Acme bread recently in the Bay Area, to tide us by, and couldn't wait to get back to this bread.

• Like 1

I sort of took your suggestion, CC. I made grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch and they turned out delicious. Filled with aged cheddar cheese but this bread has enough flavour that it is not lost with even strong cheese. I am so tempted to start a second loaf today. ;) I just don't want to run out of this bread.

Grilled Cheese Lunch.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I have officially started my second loaf. The recipe calls for grinding, rye, hard wheat and soft wheat. The berries all look quite similar, the first one is hard winter wheat, the second soft wheat. I didn't take a pix of the rye, it looks much the same.

Winter Wheat Berries.jpg

Soft Wheat Berries.jpg

Here is a pix showing the end of one of the grinds.

Grinding Flour.jpg

The berries are inexpensive. probably the whole recipe has 60-70 cents Canadian of berries.

• Like 1