Pequod

First KK Low n Slow

@churchi- I have tube smokers I've used for cold smoking in other grills and they are great for that purpose. I've not tried them in a Kamado with heat, but from what I've read people who have tried them have been disappointed with the results. The low air flow tends to snuff the pellets out. I haven't tried it yet (waiting on the pump), but I imagine the KK cold smoker would be a different story since it draws air externally. You can control the amount of smoke independently of the KK vents. 

Edited by HalfSmoke

Thanks @HalfSmoke for the explanation. I was going to try the tube in my next long smoke, but i get what you mean about the snuffing out of the pellets with the low air flow. Makes sense.

So how does the smoking pot work then? Fill it with wood chips and sit it directly on the fire? Im interested in getting a bit more smoke flavour in my long smokes. I will order the cold smoker eventually, but this may work for me in the mean time.

Get a small (2 qt) cast iron dutch oven. You only need 3 small holes (1/8" dia) in the bottom. If the lid is a bit loose, after you put in your wood (chunks are best, but chips work, too), seal up the lid with a bit of flour and water paste. I mix it up in a plastic sandwich bag, then cut off a corner and pipe it onto the lid. The key here is that it needs to be airtight. Set it right on top of the lit coals. Once it gets up to temp, it will produce a nice clean smoke for hours. And the coolest part is, when the cook is over and cooled down, you open the lid to find several pieces of charcoal - Magic!

Great looking brisket. 

Thinking out loud here ...... For low-n-slow once at temp close your bottom vent entirely and use the KK cold smoker as you're only incoming air source. No air pump just regulate the air flow going into the cold smoker with a valve.  Anyway one day I'll order one and run some experiments. 

• Like 1

@ckreef-That's good out loud thinking and along the lines of my thoughts as well. The "cold" smoker is really an external smoke generator with controllable flow and smoke intensity. If you dial that in first, then anything else you do with the lower vents would be to dial in temp on top of the base temp from the cold smoker. I'm really looking forward to playing around with the cold smoker. Just waiting on the pump. 

• Like 1