ckreef

Old-School Southern Pulled Pork

This is a loose interpretation of Jack Mixon's technique. I figured if Myron can learn from his father than maybe I can too. 

2 oz of a 50/50 mix, course ground black pepper and kosher salt. I also made a 1/2 gallon of a vinegar pit mop liquid. 

OSSb.jpg

The  idea is to mop the meat every hour. It sort of builds a bark as we go. (yea this method is a little bit of work) 

Got the butt rubbed down and Prometheus (16.5" KK) cruising along at 230*. Put it on at 11 pm Saturday  night. 

OSSc.jpgOSSd.jpg

Here it is at the 10 hour mark. Temp holding steady even though I've been opening the dome hourly. 

OSSg.jpg

This was a really stubborn butt. I had to foil it and bump the temp up to 300* so I could actually eat dinner Sunday evening.  It took a total of 18 1/2 hours before it finally probed tender with an IT of 203*

OSSl.jpg

Made candied sweet potatoes while the butt was resting. Dinner is finally ready. 

OSSo.jpg

OSSp.jpg

Lesson I learned,  never cook a butt at 225*. Takes forever and no real advantage. 250*-300* from now on but I knew this already. 

The best butts (including this one) was done without any real dry rub. They were done with some kind of wet marinade. I think I'll stick to that from now on just need to perfect my technique so it doesn't need tending every hour. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Steve M said:

Looks like a chicken wing tied back on the lower left hand corner. :shock:

Looks really tasty. Not sure if that is the same sauce I used but I've made a couple of his and they are money. I think that is one of them. 

Probably one of them I just tweaked it a little. 

4 hours ago, Steve M said:

2 hours ago, dstr8 said:

Never that long for any of the pork butts I've smoked either!    So you put the butt on at 11:00PM Saturday night then stayed up all night to mop it on the hour?!   You're my hero :D

Basically yes. We stayed up until about 4 am. After that I set a 60 minute timer  and took a series of hour naps. We were  sort of useless Sunday but we really didn't have anything to do anyway. 

1 hour ago, tony b said:

@ckreef - do you think that the wet mop every hour-ish slowed the cooking down? 

That just might have been. Never had a butt even come close to this long of a cook. 

Going to try one again soon. I'll use a wet thicker marinade and only mop every couple of hours or so and see what happens. 

Sort of takes away the set it and forget it aspect but the best butts I've done to date was with a wet marinade not  a dry rub. 

10 minutes ago, tony b said:

Have you ever used an injected marinade? I use Butcher BBQ's in both my butts and brisket, usually overnight, then dry rub the outside just before going on to build the bark. 

Might have to give that a try but will probably do a substitution for the dry rub.