tquando

Bone in Brisket

I purchased a bone in whole brisket and am now wondering how I am going to cook it!  I purchased it frozen from "the meat guy"  here in Japan.  One of the ranchers sons lives here and sells their Morgan Ranch beef which is fantastic.

In any event, it is defrosting for the week and I am in the process of crating my plan of attack to cook this puppy for my son's birthday party this weekend.  I would love tips if anyone has ever cooked a monster like this before and will keep you posted after the cook this weekend. 

Tom

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Me, three - never heard of a bone-in brisket - WOW. My best guess is to cook it like a regular brisket, except it's going to take longer because of the bone. Similar to a leg of lamb (bone-in vs boneless). Can't wait to hear how this one comes out! Keep us posted.

So here is how the bone in brisket unfolded ...

After thawing for the week a hearty trim and a day of dry brining.  Fired up the BB32, gave it a good rub, and muscled it on the BB32 at 8 PM.   Used a new smoke pot for the first time and it is a game changer.  Up at 6 AM and attempted a Texas crutch - not very effective as I did not get a very good seal on the foil given the size of this hunk.   Let it go til 6 PM (22 hours!) and decided to pull it.   Strange as I would normally go to about 200F with my brisket but I pulled this at 183F given the softness of the meat when probed.  Getting it off the BBQ was not easy as the bones just fell away.  Used a spatula combo lift and barely managed to get it to the cutting board. The point was awesome but the flat a bit dry   

A fun cook that will not be repeated again soon!

IMG_1152.JPG

IMG_1153.JPG

IMG_1154.JPG

IMG_1155.JPG

IMG_1157.JPG

IMG_1158.JPG

IMG_1165.JPG

IMG_1168.JPG

IMG_1169.JPG

IMG_1171.JPG

IMG_1172.JPG

IMG_1174.JPG

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, ckreef said:

Not sure about the bone in brisket part. Those look like rib bones. I thought the brisket was the front chest muscle. Of course I may not know what I'm talking about. 

You nailed it, Charles. I'm still struggling with this cut, as the actual brisket is not near any major bones - it's from the chest between the front legs. 

1 minute ago, tony b said:

You nailed it, Charles. I'm still struggling with this cut, as the actual brisket is not near any major bones - it's from the chest between the front legs. 

I'm thinking that was a basic rib roast along the back including the upper back muscle(s). In the US that would already be trimmed down with the upper back meat turned into ground meat. This also makes sense of why it was pulled so early (temp wise) and still tender. 

What I've noticed is different butchers cut a hunk of meat and label it the way they want.

I'll say it again - either way a fine looking cut of beef.