billg71

Heat deflector or drip pan? Or Both?

Just remember that the fire to grate distance is greater on a KK than any other Kamado out there.  This allows you to not really worry about a deflector.  The foil gives enough heat deflection that you can low and slow.  

With pizza you don't need anything because the stone is super thick and far enough away from the fire that it won't overheat and wreck your pizza 

On 29/10/2016 at 3:52 AM, 5698k said:

I just use a piece of foil on the lower grate if I'm just cooking on the upper. If I'm using both grates, I use the stone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was under the impression that the KK had been designed within an inch of its life - particularly airflow. Of course now I'm really surprised at the options for foil and drip pans rather than the deflector. Everyone who doesn't use the stone seems to have  a different method of blocking the direct heat. I mean how much space does one leave left/right or front/back considering the shape of the old stone? Am I overthinking it?.......It would be great if anyone has  photos of their differing deflection methods to post?

basic as basic can be..... put foil where the meat lies

I run front to back usually with one large piece of foil folded in two, and leave the sides open.  its not science in any way.  Even a drip pan under the meat is more than enough.  You are preventing the direct heat from coming up.  

KK fire pit to grate is large enough that you don't have to worry.  Think about all those crazies on the brethren that swear by an UDS.  Its an oil drum with fire on the bottom and meat usually hanging up top.  More distance the food is from the fire, the better.  The BGE and the KJ primo etc need deflectors because you are cooking right over top of the fire.  

I have adopted the philosophy of keeping it simple.  No more gadgets and gizmos... basic bbq on the best cooker and a instant read thermometer.

I use the round ceramic heat deflector on almost every cook. Even "grilling" with it. I don't care about a sear, never do it. And we just toss the poultry skin so no need to cook that direct either. It gets a sous vide like even doneness on everything I cook. And more time in the smoke. Just a habit from my day one first cook, a pork butt.

I think most of us have gravitated towards simple aluminum foil - quick, easy, no mess cleanup. Like Robert said, don't over think it - doesn't matter - front to back, left to right, whatever shields the meat from the direct infrared heat of the fire. The original drip pan (single layer, round) works just fine and I still use it with larger cuts (briskets, butts), where I worry that the drippings will run off the foil and into the fire. I only use the double layer drip pan when I want to collect the drippings for a secondary use - gravy, seasoning veggies, etc. Not rocket science.

Something to consider is that the double drip pan is pretty heavy for the BB32, as are the grills.  The single round drip pan for the BB32 is easy to move in and out of the KK.

I used the Pizza Stone last night with nothing under it except a fire and cooked a a couple of nice pizza.  The crust was crappy because of the recipe, not the fault of the KK.  Will work on the recipe :-) The stone however took a while to heat back to the 550 dome temp but once it did the cooking was pretty good.  I need to pay more attention to the distribution of the coals so the heat is a bit more even, my bad.  550F for 10 minutes.

IMG_2760.JPG

IMG_2761.JPG

IMG_2762.JPG

IMG_2763.JPG

IMG_2764.JPG

IMG_2765.JPG

• Like 2

Well, I've mostly used the deflector stone on my low and slow cooks.    I usually omit the lower grate unless I want to collect the drippings.  I guess I don't find using the lower grate and wrapping it in foil dramatically easier than just sticking the stone in there, then putting the main grate on.  But to each their own there is no wrong answer.

Another thing about cooking with the ceramic deflector is that you don't need a very precise coal distribution for even cooking. With direct cooking you have to be much more attentive to very even coal distribution. And by cooking with the deflector in place, I can get steaks, roasts and all sorts of things done with a temperature anywhere between 250º to 400º. The meat will be evenly cooked; it just finishes quicker at higher temps, slower at lower temps. I don't worry about temp control or chase it. Most of my cooks start cooler and finish hotter as I just let the KK go with moderate vent openings. If the meat isn't done when the temp gets to about 400º, then I dial down the top a bit. It's a VERY relaxed way to cook. If I did want to sear, it would be easy enough to do it. The only thing I remember cooking direct was those dogs the other night!

Here's an idea. If you want to cook direct and it's a quick grill, use briquettes for an easier time with even coal and heat distribution. Or you can hand sort your lump but what a PIA.

6 hours ago, DennisLinkletter said:

I make and ship them because they are the old school standard.. but I only use foil and a drip pan.

So what do you do with the deflector stone you don't use? Inquiring minds want to know... (or at least I do) Right now mine is just leaning up against the wall behind the cooker, surely there's some use it could be put to?

C'mon folks, lets hear some ideas! :)

Edited by billg71
  • Like 1