FotonDrv

Just Another Roti Turkey

13 hours ago, Bruce Pearson said:

If I'm not mistaken those clamps will slide off the basket there's a little notch in the end that you can slide them off then you could put them in a 5 gallon bucket of that solution

Yes Bruce, the clamps slide off once the gunk is chipped off the basket rails.  Not hard to do and I think the attachment method is a good one. 

My reason for wanting some other method, like the wire on method, is to not have to pick food out of allen head bolts and all the clamp angles that catch gunk.

Wire is ordered so I will Post how well that works.  I do like the roti basket and will purse this part of my quest.  Amazing basket, it will hold two (2) 20 LB turkeys!!  This is just one (1) 20 LB turkey.

IMG_2922.JPG

Edited by FotonDrv-Stephen

Just now, FotonDrv-Stephen said:

So the bird can fly after all!  Funny and disheartening all at the same time :-)

Fortunately we caught this really early in the cook. Was able to get it back in the basket.  Another 30 minutes and it probably would have gone for a crash landing in the trash can. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ckreef said:

Fortunately we caught this really early in the cook. Was able to get it back in the basket.  Another 30 minutes and it probably would have gone for a crash landing in the trash can. 

A crash landing would have resulted in the worst stench you have ever smelled!  My mother cremated a chicken once when she fell asleep on the couch with a chicken boiling on the stove.  Water vanished and the chicken went up in smoke and out the open windows.  The neighbors saw the smoke and smelled the stench and called the fire department and ran over to find my mom passed out from her daily meds and exhaustion.  It took months to get the smell out of everything.  The entire home had to be repainted and every fabric washed.  The good thing about a BBQ is that the stench would have been outside :-)

• Like 1

Underwater ceramic technicians, interesting description of that pressure washer in a box.  I have a degree in electronics but I chose to live without grid electricity for 20 years and instead I generated my own.  No dishwasher then, or blender or food processor so I got used to doing all kitchen work by hand, but it did generate a desire in me to make things more simple.  I miss my wood fired cookstove/range and I miss the quiet.

I think you'll find little difference in the end result when properly roasting fowl on the KK versus using a roti.   At least that is the conclusion my experiments have proved.   And no hardware to clean up afterwards ;).    And that reminds me:   Must list my roti system for sale one of these days :D.

• Like 1

I understand the idea and used it for years in my other Kamado style cookers.  It works, but the main reason I got the roti as to be able to flip things 180 degrees without using a spatula and breaking up things like fish or poultry skin when I tried to flip them.   Yeah, I know, I am lazy and I love tools and gadgets if they make life easier.  Sometimes I give up and just live with the gadgets and at other times I give up and sell them, like the many espresso machines I have owned over the past 10 years. 

The things that I do not like about the roti system is the way the motor mounts to the KK.  I realize that the mounting bracket is designed the way it is to be able to accept different motors but with that said why not make it for 1 type of motor and then make the mount more user friendly.  I can envision a mount that used no tools and had 2 locking pins pushed down from the top and had finger rings on one end to pull the pins out when taking it off.

Right now the roti baskets are designed for chunky things but think about a flat basket that could be rotated 180 degrees for fish and not continuously spun.

The key is to get the KK thoroughly heat soaked (500F-ish); this is the beauty of roasting fowl on the KK.   The direct heat from below is a higher temp for legs and thighs and the slightly lower/more gentle radiant heat coming down onto the breast meat is the best of both worlds; breast meat and thigh/leg meat (whole bird of course ;)) cook at about the same respective.   No flipping required or needed for the best outcome using whole birds.

If you haven't tried Judy Rodger's Zuni Cafe recipe yet ... its the only way I roast whole birds ... highly recommended.

Edited by dstr8

4 hours ago, FotonDrv-Stephen said:

The things that I do not like about the roti system is the way the motor mounts to the KK.  I realize that the mounting bracket is designed the way it is to be able to accept different motors but with that said why not make it for 1 type of motor and then make the mount more user friendly.  I can envision a mount that used no tools and had 2 locking pins pushed down from the top and had finger rings on one end to pull the pins out when taking it off.

I think the reason you have problems with the bracket is that you bought one of the massive box roti motors.. Truth is because the meat spins on its axis the motor does not need to be that big.. the 50lb motor is more than enough.  The reason the bracket is adjustable is that the Chinese motors vary from batch to batch.. shallow sockets, deep sockets even the position of the drive socket changes. And of course, motors from different companies vary.. better to ship a one bracket fits all version. I'm happy to entertain any ideas to modify/update it..

Dennis, I believe it is the 50LB I purchased and the reason I got it was that it looked so much better to have that sleek looking motor on the side of the KK rather than the tin can looking smaller model.  After all we KK Owners are buying the KK for more than its performance, appearance is a consideration, plus the housing is easier to clean.

I will make a sketch; wish I had AutoCad running on this Mac...

UPDATE:  I was wrong, the motor I have is rated at 85 Pounds, but it still looks better :-)

fixed a mistake

I think you'll find little difference in the end result when properly roasting fowl on the KK versus using a roti.   At least that is the conclusion my experiments have proved.   And no hardware to clean up afterwards ;).    And that reminds me:   Must list my roti system for sale one of these days :D.

Intriguing

7 hours ago, DennisLinkletter said:

I think the reason you have problems with the bracket is that you bought one of the massive box roti motors.. Truth is because the meat spins on its axis the motor does not need to be that big.. the 50lb motor is more than enough.  The reason the bracket is adjustable is that the Chinese motors vary from batch to batch.. shallow sockets, deep sockets even the position of the drive socket changes. And of course, motors from different companies vary.. better to ship a one bracket fits all version. I'm happy to entertain any ideas to modify/update it..

Dennis, check this out.  Very crude sketch but I think you get the idea of a motor specific mount.  It might work on the 30 LB motor as well, but the 50 LB motor will hold/spin two (2) 20+ pound turkeys.  The locking pins with spring loading to hold the pins in place can be long enough to reach the top of the motor so fingers do not have to be in a deep well.  The two adjusting screws for motor height would put pressure on the bottom of the motor housing to lift the motor to the correct height and they could have their own plate to rested on the motor bottom (I did not draw it).  There could be variations on this but the idea is to be able to slide the motor onto the mount and just pin it in place easily.

fullsizeoutput_b1f.jpeg

Added text

OK, so I did a roti chicken for dinner last night, which means I get to clean the basket, et. al. today. Just wanted to post some before and after pics of soaking the basket/clamps in PBW so folks can judge for themselves.

Here's the basket before putting it into the PBW. Not seriously gunked up, but I clean it after every cook, so there's no build up.

20161230_082814.jpg

Mixed up 4 1/2 gals of hot water and 4 TB of PBW. Dropped the basket in for 4 hours. The basket doesn't fit, so it's a good side-by-side to see the PBW end and uncleaned end. Left side is straight out of the soaking bucket - no scrubbing at all. The right end and bracket weren't soaked at all. 

20161230_135758.jpg

All I did to the soaked end was a light wipedown with a regular sponge. Here's the end result.

20161230_140228.jpg

While it won't get your basket and brackets looking "brand new," it does a pretty damned good job (IMHO), with minimal work - practically no elbow grease. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tony b said:

OK, so I did a roti chicken for dinner last night, which means I get to clean the basket, et. al. today. Just wanted to post some before and after pics of soaking the basket/clamps in PBW so folks can judge for themselves.

Here's the basket before putting it into the PBW. Not seriously gunked up, but I clean it after every cook, so there's no build up.

20161230_082814.jpg

Mixed up 4 1/2 gals of hot water and 4 TB of PBW. Dropped the basket in for 4 hours. The basket doesn't fit, so it's a good side-by-side to see the PBW end and uncleaned end. Left side is straight out of the soaking bucket - no scrubbing at all. The right end and bracket weren't soaked at all. 

20161230_135758.jpg

All I did to the soaked end was a light wipedown with a regular sponge. Here's the end result.

20161230_140228.jpg

While it won't get your basket and brackets looking "brand new," it does a pretty damned good job (IMHO), with minimal work - practically no elbow grease. 

Mine hasn't been that clean since the day I got it. I really need to order some. 

• Like 1