KevinD

My first cook in a long long time…

It has been a while since I’ve had some fun with Pele and tonight I fired her up to smoke a turkey for my family’s annual Christmas tree trimming  party.   Prior to acquiring Pele I had bought fantastic smoked turkeys from Greenberg Smoked Turkey in Tyler, TX.   As much as I enjoyed those birds there’s no reason for me to not give it a spin on my own cooker so tonight, I put this on for enjoyment tomorrow...

Planning on the traditional low and slow @225°   I brined in a simple salt water solution for @six hours, dried the bird and seasoned with a mixture of ground black pepper, a bit of 77EC5EF2-D4AD-42BD-AC09-EF3E0E5622E3.thumb.jpeg.49feb2f8d15a21a3304f4b4852fce8b5.jpegE76F13FA-4D8A-4F08-82E9-76366E22723C.thumb.jpeg.7492149d164f1d7e475b5c487604cd6d.jpeg45365283-FD7F-43ED-AC98-5A3E2AECADE0.thumb.jpeg.d678619f67920c435d5896d6536b6800.jpegcayenne pepper, picante papriki, onion and garlic powder, with some good old Schillings poultry seasoning tossed in as well.  Put it on midnight and I’ll check at 8 in the morning.  I’ve allowed for a possible12 hour cook, + or - an hour or two.  Since I plan to serve this up carved for sandwiches or general noshing, finish time really is not critical.

Of course I will post the obligatory finish pictures...

Edited by KevinD
Spelling
  • Like 3

What kind of wood are you going to use to smoke it?

I do smoked turkey any chance I can, dont wait till the obligatory holidays . Smoked turkey rocks ! 

Don't toss the carcass either, makes a kick ass stock for soup!

On the low and slow, Turkey is not a fatty bird so there is no connective tissue to break down and unless you are going to baste the hades out of it , cooking for that long? Could be a little dry.

I cook it like chicken, high and fast with a ton of quality hickory in a smoke box. Longest I've ever had a bird on was 3 hours and it was a 16 pounder. KK cook keeps it moist  and crispy.

looking forward to seeing the  pics

Zo0

Ok,  here we are 8 hours and 15 minutes later,  and the 17 pound turkey is at  165°F  for all areas probed, so off it  comes.   Didn’t open Pele up at all except to take a final temperature check this morning with my thermapen.  Pictures below...

Carving will wait until people begin to arrive much later today, probably 4 PM Pacific time.   That of course assumes that I can deal with the scent of smoked turkey in my house all afternoon and not give in to temptation...

FYI: I used two medium sized chunks each of pedan and cherry.

625F40B5-7C37-4C0B-9C28-6EECE65E50EA.jpeg

9C8CCDA1-BF8E-4BE8-BFB8-9379D9358B2F.jpeg

61AC82E6-76EB-4C63-BACF-01FE32AC8781.jpeg

7828C520-D288-4B88-AD63-40F55952CDA6.jpeg

Edited by KevinD
Additional info added
  • Like 6

35 minutes ago, Tyrus said:

Sorry Kevin, Saw the color designation on the circle and I guess I wasn't paying attention to the letter. We have wild turkeys in this area and in abundance, so that's the backyard comment...but I'm looking forward to tour pics also

Not a problem, bagged this one in the wilds of my Albertsons supermarket - it was crazy in there. 

• Like 1

Yes, it got real cold here in Southern California, for us – 41° F overnight.  Sorry I couldn’t resist teasing my friends on the forum in the colder climates – I do love the idea of seasons, but don’t know how well I would live in them.   When we get into what I called “real winter” in my area of southern California, it will get down to just below freezing on many nights.  

The turkey should be moist and tender, I’ve not yet carved into it but will in a couple of hours.  I brined it for 6 hrs which have added some moisture content and given how efficient our Komodos are, I wouldn’t think that I suffered moisture loss beyond what the brine added.  

Once I get into the turkey and have had a chance to eat some of it with my guests I will report back on those results…

The turkey should be moist and tender, I’ve not yet carved into it but will in a couple of hours.  I brined it for 6 hrs which have added some moisture content and given how efficient our Komodos are, I wouldn’t think that I suffered moisture loss beyond what the brine added.  
Once I get into the turkey and have had a chance to eat some of it with my guests I will report back on those results…
Report back with pics I hope.