Web Analytics Made Easy -
StatCounter
Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
alimac23

Aussie delivery experiences

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

More time with the blower and less time with the torch means that I am prolonging the day the gas runs out. :-( Which would be ok if I have a back up tank. :)

I have not ever needed to use a blower.  I just open the vents, light one or more spots using my MAPP torch (purchase down to @tony b suggesting ti!) and wait about 15 mins to make sure the fire has started and then up to an hour for full warm up for most cooks.  Thanks to this post @MacKenzie, I understand that the blower could save me some fuel in my torch.  I am not sure if that is worth it, given my gas canister seems to have lasted forever.  Do you get to cooking temperature significantly quicker?  Trying to help @Bruce Pearson save some money and cupboard space!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the advice. First cook underway / a couple of lamb shoulders and a single rack of baby back ribs just for the hell of it. Half way and finding it incredibly easy to manipulate temperature around that 225F figure - don´t know why I´m surprised really ! Just 4 more hours !

I started it this morning by putting 1 large piece of lump on by gas ring on the inside stove for about 5 minutes. Then transported it to the KK and nestled it in the middle of a big basket of coals. Then took the family hairdryer and let it rip for another 5 minutes before shutting it up and letting it do its thing, vents fully open on the bottom and top. 15 minutes later 250F .... easy. In future though I don´t really want to be transporting coals and hairdryers and I think the electric jobby at $65 sounds pretty easy. Has a switch so you can just blow after you have a couple of coals roasting. Time to go shopping ! Thanks for the tips.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s an amazing look KK Steve!

Give Urban Griller (Chris) a try, he sells all things bbq / low n slow.

For what it’s worth, I’ve had my looftlighter since December 2015 and have used it 2-3 times per week and it has never missed a beat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, tekobo said:

 I understand that the blower could save me some fuel in my torch.  I am not sure if that is worth it, given my gas canister seems to have lasted forever.  Do you get to cooking temperature significantly quicker?  

I know what you mean about the gas lasting forever, I've been using this tank for years, can't remember when I changed it last. If I ever run out I'm sure I could come up with some other way to light the grill especially if the stores were not open. Without a doubt I can get the KK going much faster. :)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Stevesoncoals said:

Then took the family hairdryer and let it rip for another 5 minutes before shutting it up and letting it do its thing, vents fully open on the bottom and top. 15 minutes later 250F .... easy.

A quick tip - set your vents for your final temperature when you get about 50F BELOW target. If you overshoot, it's really hard to bring the temperature back down - especially if you've got the grill a bit heat soaked. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

Without a doubt I can get the KK going much faster. :)

Ha.  That made me competitive - I wanted your target time so that I could beat it!  In reality I generally have things to do while the KK warms up and don't need to rush.  :smt048

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2018 at 4:30 PM, Stevesoncoals said:

Hi All,

i got a 23” KK in the same delivery with Bonfire. Had a bit of a mare getting it up 3 awkward stairs, but no damage thankfully, although I’m on Napraxon for a week I expect having done my back in trying to move it ! Life’s like that. 

Simple question to start, any idea where to get a Flaming Coals Electric Charcoal Starter Wand in Perth ?

I can only find looflighters - and I’m told the others are better - any tips appreciated 

Steve

You in Perth mate nice spot .let's get a few things straight you don't need the flaming torch from hell for your KK  you can bring this puppy up to 500 for ages before it even looks close to being heat soaked.think forward sear .I fill my basket add a couple of samba  fire lighters from bunnings  vents all open ark it up to 350 ,400 lift lid  throw on wood.add foil as a deflector the temp drops and just adjust my settings it's that easy I'm ready to low n slow 250f set in half an hour.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aussie Ora said:

You in Perth mate nice spot .let's get a few things straight you don't need the flaming torch from hell for your KK  you can bring this puppy up to 500 for ages before it even looks close to being heat soaked.think forward sear .I fill my basket add a couple of samba  fire lighters from bunnings  vents all open ark it up to 350 ,400 lift lid  throw on wood.add foil as a deflector the temp drops and just adjust my settings it's that easy I'm ready to low n slow 250f set in half an hour.

What Aussie says is true. I add beer into the equation. 

Edited by tangles163
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tangles163 said:

What Aussie says is true. I add beer into the equation. 

Shhh...it's not beer, it's fire lube. At least that's what I told my wife.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...