Izzy

Through serendipity, I stumbled into the KK 32

I'm fairly new to grilling.  It all started a little over a year ago when I was invited to a colleague's house to celebrate his 40th birthday.  As he was giving me a tour of his house, he took me to his backyard to show me his baby.  There it was A BIG Green  thing which I had never seen before.  He said it was a grill which he and his wife frequently use to make the most delicious dishes.  He gave me an overview of ceramic grills in general and I was very impressed.  When I came home, I told my wife about it and I could begin to see the light of redemption at the end of the tunnel.  Redemption?  Well, let's say 4 years ago, I purchased a charcoal grill/smoker from Lowes for about $400 and two weeks later decided to invite a few friends and relatives to come eat some of my ribs, which, by the way, I was going to try for the very first time.  I purchased 9 slabs of St. Louis ribs AND I burned them all!  It was a total disaster!  So, when I saw that big green thing at my colleague's and heard all the wonderful things about, I thought that was going the grill for me.  So, I did a little bit of research and in the end, I opted for this extra large black oval thing and suddenly, I was on prime time!  After some Youtube videos on how to cook the best ribs on that black oval thing, I decided to cook some ribs.  My goodness!  They turned out to be totally amazing.  Some folks even said they were the best ribs they had ever had.  I, now, have been grilling on my oval for about  a year and I love it!  So, why was I recently looking for a new grill?  My wife and I are throwing our son a birthday party at the end of June and the plan was to have everything catered, but three weeks ago, my wife changed her mind, which she has a right to, and instead wanted us to cook for 100+ people.  She said we could invest in another grill and so, I decided to do some research.   As great as my oval is, I wanted to try something different.  I started looking at the big green thing and also the big red thing.  I decided that I would get the big red thing, but I also would also have to get a custom table for it.  While I was reading some online articles and watching videos about the big red thing, I stumbled into the Komodo Kamado grills.  My first reaction was why pay so much for a grill?  Then, I started reading more and watching more videos and I realized this grill was lightyears ahead of the so-called competitors.  I'm very happy with my oval and will continue to cook on it for years, but I must concede that this grill, based on what I have learned, is far superior.  At first, I decided that I would get KK 23 in bronze metallic, but I was still feeling guilty about its price.  I called Komodo Kamado to ask some basic questions and Dennis answered the phone and we spent about 20 minutes on the phone. The support is out of this world!  I think Dennis and I had spoken 7 times before I finally decided this past Friday to get a KK 32.  Initially, I wanted a bronze metallic, but it was not going to be delivered in time and so, after talking to Dennis again, I picked an Autumn Gold Flake.  Now, I think I even like the Autumn Gold Flake better than the Bronze Metallic.  Here are the details of my order:

1.  32" Big Bad, Autumn Gold Flake A6901A       
2.  Pair 32 BB - Stainless/Teak Side tables
3.  32” Big Bad ~ Sunbrella cover
4.  32” Big Bad ~ Basket splitter
5.  32” Big Bad ~ SS Rib Rack
6.  32” Big Bad ~ Drip pan Double
7.  32” Big Bad ~ Baking stone
8.  32” Roti Cradle 27” x 10”
9.  32” Big Bad ~ 8" Roti reducer
10. 32” Big Bad ~ 6" Roti reducer
11. Teak and stainless Grill grabbers
12. 40 lbs CoCo Charcoal
13. 40 lbs Coffee lump Charcoal

Now, I can't wait to get my new grills!

• Like 2

@Izzy - welcome to Komodo Kamado amd welcome to the world's most wonderful obsession!  

You are really going to love your KK BB 32.  I've got one, TheBeast and I wouldn't trade for him.  My 32" is the most versatile kamado I've ever used in over 20+ years cooking on kamados.  It's quality is beyond compare, and you already know aout the Customer Service!  

You got the whole 9 yards when it comes to accessories! We can't wait to see the uncrating and first cook pics.  We like pics here, LOTS of pics!  

Congrats on joining the KK family!

I think you need more cocochar.

Congrats by the way!! I dare to say, once you cook on your KK a couple of times, you'll be thinking that a matching 23" would look sooo much better than the black oval thing. I did something similar. Regardless, you're right, KK's are light years ahead of the rest, in every way. You can look at pics, talk to others, talk to Dennis, and I'm willing to bet that you'll still say something like "wow" when you see it for the first time. Pics are required from the moment the delivery truck arrives, and again, congrats!!

Rob

• Like 1

Congrats on your journey.  I too have a very similar story starting from a WSM and Kettle to the KJ and finally to paradise with the KKs

I love my 23 and 32 combo but agree with Roberts comment above.  That oval XL will quickly be on the replace list with a 23" lol!  These things are so amazing to look at that nothing will look good next to it.

The XL will be a thing of the past and hardly see duty once you get rolling on that 32.

You ordered it all with respect to accessories that is an incredible order and you will absolutely love it!

stick around here lots of great people who share you love and enthusiasm for cooking.

Pictures of delivery or we will ban you lol

Wow! I see that folks are passionate about their KK grills.  As for replacing my oval with a KK 23, I do not rule it out, but it's not going to happen now unless one falls from the sky and lands in my backyard tomorrow.  I've been extremely happy with my oval, but I agree that cooking on the KK 32 will be on another level.  I cannot wait for it to get here.  If everything goes well with the shipment, I may get it within a week.

With respect to getting more charcoal, what is the recommended amount for the first order?

What other accessories are out there for the KK 32?  I need a motor for the rotisserie, but I don't know which one to get from OneGrill.

For temperature controller, I have decided to go with Rock's Bar-B-Que Stoker II, but I haven't placed the order yet.

Hi Izzy

you may want to hold off on the controller and talk to the guys here at the forum. The KK is really easy to control temp with air vents. I also have bb32 but haven't had a chance to use it yet. It's still in the garage. My friend and I are going to move it to the back yard today.

can't wait to see yours make sure to take pictures ( lots ) welcome to the site. Everybody is right seeing it here at the site is really nice but up close and personal is amazing. Good luck and happy grilling.

Congratulations on KK, hopefully it gets there soon. Can't wait to see some pictures.

For rotisserie motor OneGrill model 4pm05

I would hold off on the controller until you get a chance to play with the new KK. They really are set it and forget it once you have the vents figured out. Once stable with meat on for a low-n-slow I'll leave the house and go riding the motorcycle for a few hours. KK is always within 10* when I get back home and usually it's sitting right where I left it.

Reef's Bistro

I really do not think that you need a controller.  

I will not argue that they are convenient but a Kamado is solid with temp control and the KK is rock solid at temp control.

I purchased a cyberQ wifi and have not yet used it.  I purchased it for times when I need to cook from work so to speak, I like the idea of controlling the fire remotely during a 12 hour shift.  

From day one I have encouraged people not to spend on anything until you know if you need it or not.  

As for accessories for the KK I always say buy as much as you can upon original purchase to save on shipping!

You are the reason that I went for it!  I think I will love it eventually for what it does... but the reality is, you really do not need it with the KK.  

If you like insurance, then a pit controller is your insurance policy.

You are not the lone voice, you are an exception to the rule my friend

@Izzy - I"ll tell you that I would advise you to wait on the Controller.  Up front, I have a CyberQ and I like it.  Now here is my thinking on the Controller.  I wold learnt control your KK via the vents.  I think you'll be surprised at how stable temp is in the KK.  Very stabile.  I just dump lump in the basket, give it a good shake, and then fill to the top.  That shaking makes certain that everything is in contact with everything else in the lump pile.  

Now, I got my CyberQ for a series of cooks that were going to take a long time and I needed the security that the CyberQ offers.  It performed flawlessly. Whenever I need to get away from the house during a cook, I use my CyberQ and I can always observe what my KK is doing.  Rob is the CyberQ Guru here and if you do indeed decide to get a CyberQ, I'd get with him either here or via PM.  

The CyberQ is nice to have, but in my estimation, it isn't a necessity.

I use my CyberQ only as a remote thermometer.. I don't use the fan.  Those $30-60 remote thermometers have wimpy little-armoured cables that just don't last very long. You need a commercial/industrial grade cable with a proper thermocouple. These cost $25+ alone.  So I use a CyberQ and if you keep the cables out of water, don't kink and pull the kink and keep it under 500º they last.  

Disclaimer:  They send me them for free because I was the first company to install their inducer tubes into all my grills. 

• Like 2

Welcome to the Obsession. You are in for one fantastic ride.

And, as Robert said, don't forget those all important pictures when it arrives.

Also support the idea to get as many boxes of charcoal as the pallet will hold. 

I own a DigiQ-II and use it on a regular basis for very long cooks (> 4 hours). I just like the security blanket aspect of it, especially on an overnight cook.