Shuley

Brisket

Apparently I did not take many pictures for this cook. I did this cook a couple of weeks ago. I have gotten kind of bad at posting but I am still cooking all the time. Anyway I had a hankering for brisket. I saw this "bludawgs" method of cooking somewhere on the kamado guru forum and it promised juicy results in a much faster period of time. I looked into it, and saw it was not developed for kamado cooking so it probably wouldn't give me the results I was looking for. I decided to take some of the technique and just see how it went. No injections and I just used salt and pepper for my rub(I think this will be my go to). Set the vents for 230. Used pecan wood in my smoke pot. Fat cap down for 2 hours52a95790b4914b13673c45af20cef108.jpgflipped and fat cap up for about 2 and a half hours. Then wrapped and returned for just under 3 hrs I think. I couldn't believe it was at 203 and probing tender that fast. I really didn't think it would work. Rested for about an hour and a half 0c34b627df7a10097734396dc388ff44.jpgc78c825acdb9c223d427c9575ac1a9e7.jpgpictures don't do it justice. It was supremely juicy and tender. This method actually works very well. I thought someone might be interested to try it out.

• Like 4

Beautiful looking brisket Shuley!   Its been a while since brisket adorned my KK but thinking next week with a local small ranch grass fed brisket.   Per Tony:   What did you wrap it with?    This will be my first time trying uncoated pink butcher paper ... curious to see how it goes.   Anything Franklin does can't be off base though ;)

What did you wrap it in - foil or pink butcher paper?

Wrapping it will significantly shorten the cooking time, using either material. It's referred to as the "Texas crutch." 

It was foil. I will be picking up the pink paper before my next brisket. I had always heard of the Texas crutch... I don't know why I assumed it would lead to an inferior product. If it's good enough for franklin it is good enough for me.
  • Like 1

Beautiful looking brisket Shuley!   Its been a while since brisket adorned my KK but thinking next week with a local small ranch grass fed brisket.   Per Tony:   What did you wrap it with?    This will be my first time trying uncoated pink butcher paper ... curious to see how it goes.   Anything Franklin does can't be off base though

With foil. I had no butcher paper but am planning on trying it next time!