DennisLinkletter

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

I found the facebook post to be  curious..............shows the prototype grill looking like a KK but then he says they don't like the way the tiles look and they would change the top vent???

Not buying the statement they did it just to show constant improvement at KJ.

Maybe they were trying to say they could make a grill "like" a KK but they choose not to??????  Meaning their "look" is better.......who knows??   

I was kind of put off...................as my KK has tiles :-D.    Maybe I should retire my Joe JR in protest. :smt023

Edited by Jon B.

20 minutes ago, Jon B. said:

I found the facebook post to be  curious..............shows the prototype grill looking like a KK but then he says they don't like the way the tiles look and they would change the top vent???

Not buying the statement they did it just to show constant improvement at KJ.

Maybe they were trying to say they could make a grill "like" a KK but they choose not to??????  Meaning their "look" is better.......who knows??   

I was kind of put off...................as my KK has tiles :-D.    Maybe I should retire my Joe JR in protest. :smt023

I think if you read between the lines, what this means is this:

We built our own KK by tiling up a ceramic pot, found that it would cost more than a KK to produce and still be a ceramic pot. If we back off to the ceramic pot we can dial down the price, continue to "borrow" other KK features where possible (like 4 level cooking) and call it our own innovation.

The new Big Joe is going to be around $1900. A KK 23" Ultimate is $4260. If they can do a 4-level Big Joe with all the other borrowed KK features for $3K their fanboys will eat it up. But it will still be a ceramic pot.

• Like 1

Another observation: Looking at that thread on FB, Bobby poses the question of why shouldn't Kamado's be like iPhones or cars? Meaning, you'll need to buy a new one every few years or so to keep up with latest "innovations" if you want to live in the KJ ecosystem, which is now apparently designed around the pre-planned obsolescence philosophy. Folks there seem to be eating that up (most anyway). But if I have to spend $2k every 3 years for the latest Big Joe just so it can be more like a 23" KK, why not just buy the KK once for a lifetime?

Observation the second: Many of those who complain about the price of a KK seem to have no problem shelling out $750 every two years for a new iPhone, and now apparently $2K for a KJ too.

Edited by HalfSmoke
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, 5698k said:

The external bands make it look more like an rj posk. If this thing ever makes it to production, I'm takin bets they'll never have one pictured next to the real thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My thoughts exactly when I saw it. I actually thought it was an older POSK. We'll see if KJ's version doesn't shed tiles as bad as the later POSKs did!! :-D

Somebody asked about KJ's trade in plan, and Bobby's answer was Craigslist. So...yeah, they're really hoping to keep their loyal customers buying a new one every few years. Heck of a business model if you can pull it off. 

Edited by HalfSmoke
  • Like 1

I don't think anyone will/would be fooled.

You know...I kinda keep my mouth shut at the guru about KJ, but it is rubbing me wrong when folks over there ask about upgrading their current units and it is clear that the answer is "who cares about existing customers". I can't IMAGINE hearing that over here. I would be outraged right now if I had just bought a KJ (which did cross my mind prior to buying my KK)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still have my classic and Jr the Jr has been seeing some use lately but the classic none at all Dee wants to turn it into a flower pot lol I'm holding her at bay . I like the kj warranty to an extent. They replaced my cracked firebox no worries when one of the nuts snapped on the back they sent me a whole new hinge wich is awesome .after posting on guru and emailing kj for some sort of instructions on how to replace the hinge it came with none. no one could tell me I figured it out by myself which was lucky .that was the only let down .not everyone has a degree in kamado engineering .if you can't explain how your own product works then that's different.

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

Let me say I try hard to stay out of the KJ, KK debate. In my mind there is nothing to debate. I can recognize the innovations and improvements that KJ is making to their standard product. They are quickly becoming the very best kamado in their price point and I applaud them for that. If a KJ owner thinks they have something comparable to a KK then they just don't know anything about KK's. The only time I step in is when somebody starts spouting off about KK's and they're getting it wrong, I have no problem correcting them. 

My approach about KK's is simple and somewhat silent. Everybody knows I cook on KK's. I use them almost every night and I use them every way possible. I think I produce killer meals from time to time and let the food speak for the KK. I think I do a reasonably good job using this approach. 

As for this situation - I have a FB account but I NEVER go on FB so the only thing I've see about this is what's posted here. I haven't see pictures of the inside. If you make a free standing KJ and tile the outside that's all you have. It may look like a KK from a casual appearance but that's as far as it goes. Obviously I don't have to explain the unique KK features to anyone here. POSK's look like a KK from a casual appearance but we all know how that ended up. 

OK enough rant from Reef. 

• Like 3