Web Analytics Made Easy -
StatCounter
Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Wingman505

32" BB Delivery, Transport, and Burn-in

Recommended Posts

Hey guys.  My KK was delivered and the crate has been removed for the most part.  I couldn't simply lift it off as I dont have the ceiling height in my garage and I'd have to dismantle the crate to get rid of it anyways.  I needed to get to the cooker as I ave scheduled movers to transport it to the back of my house today and I wanted to remove all of the weight from the interior.  I have a couple of questions:

1. There is a block of wood directly underneath the center of the cooker on the pallet.  Does this remain in place as I try to move it?

2. The Lid.  I don't really want to remove the lid if I don't absolutely have to.  I know the instructions indicate that I should, and this will remove ~200 pounds while moving it.  It seems to me that I wouldn't want the movers pushing, pulling, or otherwise manipulating it by the lid on its way to the backyard.. Does this sound accurate, or am I being too cautious.  It seems to me the lid is not designed for lateral forces of that degree and nature. 

3.  The fire box.  It seems to rest on the SS heat shield for the gas burner on the left, and the front vent when installed.  This causes it to be very slightly angled when installed (slightly bowed toward the middle).  This was how it was looking when I first opened the KK and vacuumed dust and debris out of it.  I haven't installed it myself yet as I'm waiting for it to be in place.  Perhaps shipping vibration caused it to be slightly off?

4.  Ive read a lot of posts about burn-in but, for some reason, remember reading something that indicated it wasn't necessary with the new grills... it is done at the factory.  I've read a thread written as recently as March that indicated the burn in still needs to be done.  I think it'll be fun, but don't want to waste the coal if I don't have to.

5.  Coffee Char - I bought 10 bags and am thinking about upping it to 15 as I know it's rarely available.  That may seem to be changing as Dennis has secured another shipping route.  Having read this forum quite a bit lately, I have a feeling I'm going to be told to order as much as I can while its available.

I'll write a more extensive post with more pictures, initial impressions, first cook, etc. once its in place

KK2.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Wingman505 said:

Hey guys.  My KK was delivered and the crate has been removed for the most part.  I couldn't simply lift it off as I dont have the ceiling height in my garage and I'd have to dismantle the crate to get rid of it anyways.  I needed to get to the cooker as I ave scheduled movers to transport it to the back of my house today and I wanted to remove all of the weight from the interior.  I have a couple of questions:

1. There is a block of wood directly underneath the center of the cooker on the pallet.  Does this remain in place as I try to move it?

2. The Lid.  I don't really want to remove the lid if I don't absolutely have to.  I know the instructions indicate that I should, and this will remove ~200 pounds while moving it.  It seems to me that I wouldn't want the movers pushing, pulling, or otherwise manipulating it by the lid on its way to the backyard.. Does this sound accurate, or am I being too cautious.  It seems to me the lid is not designed for lateral forces of that degree and nature. 

3.  The fire box.  It seems to rest on the SS heat shield for the gas burner on the left, and the front vent when installed.  This causes it to be very slightly angled when installed (slightly bowed toward the middle).  This was how it was looking when I first opened the KK and vacuumed dust and debris out of it.  I haven't installed it myself yet as I'm waiting for it to be in place.  Perhaps shipping vibration caused it to be slightly off?

4.  Ive read a lot of posts about burn-in but, for some reason, remember reading something that indicated it wasn't necessary with the new grills... it is done at the factory.  I've read a thread written as recently as March that indicated the burn in still needs to be done.  I think it'll be fun, but don't want to waste the coal if I don't have to.

5.  Coffee Char - I bought 10 bags and am thinking about upping it to 15 as I know it's rarely available.  That may seem to be changing as Dennis has secured another shipping route.  Having read this forum quite a bit lately, I have a feeling I'm going to be told to order as much as I can while its available.

I'll write a more extensive post with more pictures, initial impressions, first cook, etc. once its in place

KK2.jpg

1. No...rock it off of that block. That's just a center support so that your legs aren't taking the impact in transport.

2. Don't remove the lid unless you need to for some reason. I had an incline at my house and so it was advantageous to reduce the weight. Otherwise, NO.

3. Possibly. Take a picture if you can.

4. Just do it. Right of passage. Not a real man until you do it anyway.

5. Back up the truck. Get all you can. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Pequod said:

1. No...rock it off of that block. That's just a center support so that your legs aren't taking the impact in transport.

2. Don't remove the lid unless you need to for some reason. I had an incline at my house and so it was advantageous to reduce the weight. Otherwise, NO.

3. Possibly. Take a picture if you can.

4. Just do it. Right of passage. Not a real man until you do it anyway.

5. Back up the truck. Get all you can. 

Back it up!  I just sent Dennis a message about adding 5 bags.  I'm more worried about coal storage space than cost, lol.  I'll send a picture of the firebox when I install it tonight after the move.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well... Got the extra 5 bags ordered.  I also got impatient and got the KK off of the pallet with a small assist from my tiny wife.  :D

Nobody can say I'm risk averse.  I tested how difficult it was to move before trying it.  I am VERY surprised how easily it moves despite the weight.  The move this afternoon will probably go much easier than I anticipated.  We just have a 42" gate to navigate, then its basically level gravel from there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As Pequod said.

Sounds like fun wingman, especially when the cooking can begin. BTW, nice choice, that’s a fine looking KK.

Yes the firebox can shift in travel.

You can move it around only if it hasn’t had a fire. After your first fire, it kind expands into that position and shouldn’t be moved from then on without risking a crack.

Burn in if you plan to cook pizza, bread at high temps, otherwise, cook away. Use burn in as a time to understand your temp control and gradually work it higher.

Try not to swing it by the handle, although, a gently push/ tug can help change direction or start the roll.

If you have helpers, then try to have their contact points around the bench brackets or a little lower.

They roll pretty easy for a heavy unit, you can feel the momentum gather even on a flat surface.

I remember having to call Dennis and holding my breath before rocking it off the pellet. I felt like I’d bottomed out a brand new car and didn’t want to rip the guts out as I unwedged it.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wingman , "I also got impatient and got the KK off of the pallet with a small assist from my tiny wife. "    and Christine said," hmmm... Interesting. That's not exactly how I remember that."  :grin:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The movers were as careful as I would have been if I moved it myself.  I was really appreciative of that.  I am burning in now and I definitely smell it off-gassing.  I've kept it between 500-550 or so... Mostly 525.  I've noticed a couple of tiles that were raised on one side, or seemed a little springy.  I'd go over the rest of the cooker and go back to those spots and they wouldn't be springy anymore, which tells me the venting is working and I've been careful to slowly bring the cooker to temp and have held it well.  It's still burning in, so I'm going to obsess over inspecting it.  One thing I've found already is this:

KK_Void.thumb.jpg.00877445ac76a0095c166a83280986b9.jpg

I'll need to fill that tomorrow morning as I don't want to chance any water intrusion of any kind.  I know the movers didn't hit anything because I was on them like white on rice.  The adjacent tiles are untouched as is the hinge cover.  I'll fill it, wait 8-10 hours, remove excess... Presto!  Here's some other photos of it basically in its final resting place.

KK_Front_light.thumb.jpg.cd6529cde6c76f0584167e0f0271ba7e.jpg

KK_Back.thumb.jpg.15f4984646ee5da44ccce1623b504028.jpg

KK_Front_Dark.thumb.jpg.248efd31745d9e072cac759ab61dbc02.jpg

KK_Front_Dark_2.thumb.jpg.2db87a21e4ccf7e3fb42243f03faa745.jpg

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you picked the right color for your location. It looks great in its (new) natural habitat.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is the perfect colour and texture to fit right in with all the other pebbled surfaces.:occasion7:

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, jonj said:

I think you picked the right color for your location. It looks great in its (new) natural habitat.

I agree, it looks lovely.  Congratulations!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all!  I finished the burn-in.  In typical fashion I watched it like a hawk and obsessed over it.  I had three vent locations.  I made the mistake of temperature hunting and the grill got to 650 according to the dome thermometer at one point.  There was audible hissing from a section of lifted tiles.  I got control of the temperature and brought it back down to 525 degrees, but I made the mistake of trying to push the tiles back in too soon (before the pressure subsided) and ended up tearing the grout in a couple of places.  I could smell solvent for a very long time.  I made the mistake of thinking it'd take 6 hours so I started at 1800 on Friday evening.  I didn't go to sleep until 0630 the next morning.  The dome cap was the last area of venting and it took forever for the pressure to subside.

I began the task of repairing/patching the grout the next morning.  I took the advice of another forum member and used my finger to apply the grout to the necessary areas.  It didn't look good, but I followed Dennis' advice... "Less is more."  I allowed it to cure for 9 hours and used the pink tile scrotch brite to abrade the areas and remove the grout from the tiles.  I was amazed at the results.  I'm a bit neurotic and OCD... Self-diagnosed on both accounts. :)  I called my wife over and she could not differentiate between the areas I repaired, and the untouched areas of the cooker.  I am so happy with the results.  The patch kit and patching process seems to work as well as the cooker!

Repair_Area_Back.thumb.jpg.0849eb966303043225847bd72a7ec0a9.jpg

Repair_Area.thumb.jpg.02882f91080f786b4c1f7633566be3cf.jpg

 

KK_Void.jpg

Edited by Wingman505
Removed Picture
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nicely done! Fretting over the burn-in is a rite of passage as a KK owner! You, and your KK, are now broken it! :smt023

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s a great repair job wingman, better than new.
And now a piece of your toil is imbedded into your KK.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I'm selling the Kamado Joe as well.  Good news... I'm already talking to my wife about a gold & olive pebble 23" Ultimate!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...