Troble

Non KK cooks

today was my first time using real japanese binchotan. 

so this is some magic charcoal. absolutely ZERO flareups. none. super hot and i reckon i can reuse this two more times. so i guess the high cost is worth it..

tonight i grilled those little spanish peppers (carry-on from barcelona), A5 rib eye dap, pork secreto, cuttlefish, corn..

we bought a live cuttlefish from the pier today. $5 usd. im so spoiled by live seafood, i can’t eat frozen anymore..

IMG_5955.jpeg

IMG_5954.jpeg

IMG_5953.jpeg

IMG_5951.jpeg

IMG_5952.jpeg

IMG_5957.jpeg

IMG_5945.jpeg

IMG_5958.jpeg

IMG_5964.jpeg

• Like 7

Hey David, very nice cook. Do you still have the SS Bincho grill and is the Diatomaceous grill a better cooker, I’ve been toying with getting one and haven’t decided the best choice yet. We have wet, cold damp Vancouver, BC weather although would always be used under a cover and stored in a garage.

Regards

First time I've seen a PK grill. The KK gets hot enough send Satan back to hell to cool off.  But I can see where a smaller grill might be quicker to get to temp. 

Yeah it’s just less charcoal, quicker to get going. Sometimes I find it it nice not to have all that thermal inertia too. Works great for indirect cooking the way the vents are set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Seasport said:

Hey David, very nice cook. Do you still have the SS Bincho grill and is the Diatomaceous grill a better cooker, I’ve been toying with getting one and haven’t decided the best choice yet. We have wet, cold damp Vancouver, BC weather although would always be used under a cover and stored in a garage.

Regards

seasport, i have two of these tabletop grills. one is the ss bincho grill. the other one is a japanese round ceramic that i used last night. i do not have a diatomaceous grill. i believe @tekobo has one. i find the bincho to be a top performer in terms of yakitori grilling. the rectangular size of it makes it easy to rest skewers on bars or on the edge of the grill. and stainless steel cleanup is easy. the round grill is like a ceramic bowl. there is the body which holds some water in the bottom and the ceramic charcoal bowl fits inside of this body. when the ash falls through, it hits the water so there is no scorching of the bowl. it's a cheap grill i picked up in my supermarket. probably around $120 USD with 2 grates. its a good tabletop grill for communal use (maybe up to 3-4 people). the bincho grill is more of an operators grill. if you travel or want a bulletproof grill, maybe the stainless steel bincho. if you want a traditional korean/japanese feel of table top grilling, maybe the round grill. i've heard the diatomaceous retains heat well but does not like to be wet..

On 11/19/2023 at 12:13 PM, David Chang said:

we bought a live cuttlefish from the pier today. $5 usd. im so spoiled by live seafood, i can’t eat frozen anymore..

I agree David, we live by the sea and it is hard to beat the super fresh seafood we can buy from the fish market by the harbour.  That said, I have got into buying some frozen fish for convenience.  4kg of frozen black cod (sable fish) steaks arrived this morning and my mouth is watering at the thought of the delicious meals we are going enjoy from that haul.  No chance of getting that at our local fish market.  

I also found that when you cook super fresh flat fish like Dover sole it turns out like a rubber tyre.  Apparently it needs to rest and relax for a few days before eating so the dry ager comes in handy there.  

8 hours ago, David Chang said:

i've heard the diatomaceous retains heat well but does not like to be wet..

You are so right - a konro grill would not enjoy the rain.  Mine lives under cover in our greenhouse and has survived many a wet winter although it is always used under cover or sunny weather.  

On 11/20/2023 at 8:59 PM, tekobo said:

4kg of frozen black cod (sable fish) steaks

i've never seen black cod sold fresh. only frozen. they say patagonia toothfish and black cod are the same, but they are clearly not the same fish..

i got a delivery of spanish beef today. a rib eye and tenderloin chain. what we have in abundance in fresh seafood, we don't have in meat and poultry- like the incredible selection you get in europe. so i have to pay up the wazoo for this stuff...image.thumb.png.07083a0453684cd3c942890efc5e0241.png

• Like 3