tekobo

My Portable KK

Road trip.  Very long road trip.  We drove 15 hours on Sunday to the South of France and a further 6.5 hours into Italy today and my 16KK came with us:

IMG_2422.thumb.jpeg.ecb5571226bb11efebdb3236ec4f66a3.jpeg

Here is Dan the Man, helping us load her into the back of the car

IMG_2527.thumb.jpeg.5a5b818da82ddb795bf002ae213f0afc.jpeg

Sitting pretty in the boot

IMG_2529.thumb.jpeg.ba65800f367ff27e0faad97eb42f84f0.jpeg

My husband had originally planned to attach loads of ties to the KK but instead decided to leave the back seats up and we packed all the rest of our stuff around the KK.  Resting now after all that driving. Will post photos in a few days when we have her all set up and ready to go. 

IMG_2549.thumb.jpeg.34362ce5eb28b009ec9a44706b58cf5d.jpeg

• Like 12

My husband and I managed to lift the KK out of the car between us.  Here is the base coming up the apartment building in the lift.

image.thumb.jpeg.abe12ff7de65339c63bd252bde06f0da.jpeg

And being wheeled through the apartment once we got it on the base.

IMG_2574.thumb.jpeg.06aa0de2e67c94048da4b59e87615b75.jpeg

Here is the KK, spring back in and the couple of tiles that came off in the move re-grouted into place.

IMG_2587.thumb.jpeg.0a80b80f1a50f1fdb0eb33bf713b594c.jpeg

Lovely bundle of asparagus from the market.

image.thumb.jpeg.3e536f8c72ddfe4da6e6a14a8f6b3485.jpeg

Lamb chops followed.

image.thumb.jpeg.75ab33c89846d2b335ee565a8573129f.jpeg

Feta and lemon zest enhanced the asparagus. 

IMG_2590.thumb.jpeg.6cee639be2b712433c111564a10a2e50.jpeg

Yummy dinner.  Welcome to Italy!

IMG_2592.thumb.jpeg.4ad68d3b2e33a35918c9acd3c7070142.jpeg

• Like 14

Reminds me of an old saying, "have KK will travel" or originally said, "have gun will travel."  A very old western Tekebo, depicting a gentlemanly-gunfighter for hire. You've taken it to another level Tekebo, all the other BBQ's are hiding & shaking in their boots.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

@tekobo, after I saw your picture of the lamb chops on those clean grates, I had to go out and apologize to my own (shamefully neglected) 16KK. I've spend half today cleaning its and the 23's grates and will finish up tomorrow. And yes, they were in pretty bad shape from the winter but much, much better now.  

• Haha 1

Your post made me laugh a lot @jonj.  The only reason my previous post did not include a picture of my grate soaking post-cook in the kitchen sink is that I could not be bothered to dry my hands and go and hunt out my camera.  I imagine that would have been a direct pull on your guilt strings.  Glad to have been of help! 🤭

• Like 1

Glad to be providing solace to 16KKs around the world.  Well done Mac!  Quick bit of advice required from 16KK owners.  I don't have room to store all KK accessories in my ready access cupboards here and have had to decide on what will go into "deep" storage.  Two grates come with the KK but I can't figure out why I would ever want to use anything other than the main grate.  Is there any benefit in keeping the smaller grate in easy reach or can I pack it away on my top shelf?

I've used my smaller grate only once in 7 years, but I have one of the earlier 16s with the flatter top. I assumed the smaller grate would be of more use with the current Hi-Tops.

Edited by jonj
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Paul et al.  I have already packed the second grate away but I see the benefit of using it as a surface for placing foil to shield from dripping fat and juices.  I used the tray that came with the KK but that does block more of the heat and is lower down than the second grate.  One to try. I have fish for tonight or tomorrow but nothing else in the house.  Reminds me that I must plan what we are eating over the next few days and get to the market.  The market and butchers are shut all day Sunday and on Monday morning so some forethought is required compared to when I am back home in the UK.  

Hello everybody!!! Happy Saturday to all of you. I haven’t posted anything for awhile, I just wanted to say I do check in almost everyday. Today I just turned another year older and am celebrating my 80th year on this beautiful planet that we live on. You all have a great grilling day and keep those yummy pictures coming! 

• Like 8

On 6/7/2023 at 6:42 AM, tekobo said:

Glad to be providing solace to 16KKs around the world.  Well done Mac!  Quick bit of advice required from 16KK owners.  I don't have room to store all KK accessories in my ready access cupboards here and have had to decide on what will go into "deep" storage.  Two grates come with the KK but I can't figure out why I would ever want to use anything other than the main grate.  Is there any benefit in keeping the smaller grate in easy reach or can I pack it away on my top shelf?

Steaks. 

• Thanks 1