DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Re: Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Chicken drums with zucchini and mushrooms - direct at about 400 deg. Quick and

delicious weekday dinner with leftover chicken for lunch/snacks.

Were those cooked direct ? Always doing chicken indirect.

I should use the third grill. Thanks for the "inspiration".

2 14 oz ribeyes cooked on 1/4 basket of lump' date=' the sear grill on the low handles just over the coals, KK at 500 deg, 2 minutes a side. Perfect every time.[/quote']

You will get better airflow and control of your temps if you use the half round sheet metal that closes the side without the charcoal. It effectively doubles the airflow on the other side.

One of my most favorite things about the KK is the ability to cook so close to the coals. It makes it so easy to obtain a really nice sear yet keep the meat on the rare side, which is how I would imagine your chops were. And now with the sear basket mod I don't have to use a ton of lump to fill the basket to the top to get the lump close to the meat or sit Weber baskets on a brick. Its just the greatest!!

Susan

Thanks for that coment, mk1. I feel somewhat like a stranger on this board for not being into low and slow cooks so it is very encouraging. And I wanted to mention to those of you who may be on the fence about buying a KK, where else in the world are you going to find the manufacturer and engineer of a super premium product giving you personal advice on your particular technique of its use????? This perk is invaluable.

Susan

Re: Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details fetch?id=67377fetch?id=67378 A 17.5 lb prime brisket from Golden Gate Meat Company. As a bonus, Boccalone ("Tasty Salted Pig Parts") is in the same building; they also do mail order. I'd been thinking the fat cap is yet one more cooking myth, like "seared meat is juicier" debunked decades ago by Harold McGee. The fat cap just gets in the way of the smoke and the rub; if I wanted one side of my brisket poached I'd cook it sous vide. And this brisket had plenty of marbling, through and through. So I'm cooking this one more like ribs. When I was done trimming the fat cap, I was down to 11 lbs, and two pieces. The point is bigger than some flats I've seen. So I'm going for a 12 hour cook, with the point on the upper deck. Four sides of rub and smoke, where I used to have only one side of rub and smoke. Dennis weighed in recently on quicker cooks; it's time to get over my prejudice that quick cooks are only for cheap meat.

post-6617-139082403697_thumb.jpg

post-6617-139082403705_thumb.jpg

These days I start with one cupful of charcoal in an empty charcoal basket and light it. I throw five or six golfball sized chunks of smoking wood on top of the burning charcoal, hit it with a hairdryer to heat the wood and get the wood flaming.. The first materials to burn off are creosote, acid and tar.. These burn your eyes, stick to your clothes making you smell like an ashtray and taste bitter..

My guess is this nasty bitter smoke is the reason most BBQ rubs and sauces are super sweet.. they are trying to balance out the bitterness from this grey primary smoke..

I keep enough airflow on the wood to let it create flames to more quickly burn off these nasties.. When the flames start to die down.. I stop the air flow, which changes the burn from flames back into smoke.. when it's thinned considerably and almost gone I grab a few burning pieces of charcoal and set them on the edge of my firebox and I pour the new charcoal on top of the now cleaned up smoking wood (it keeps smouldering) I toss the burning charcoal sitting on the edge of my fire box on top of the charcoal and set my chilled as possible meat on top..

I'm now in translucent, secondary vapor stage and this is what I want to condense on my meat.. I leave the meat cooking at low temps 225-245ºf until the meat hits about 150º at this point most of the vapor from the smoking wood is gone, the meat is too warm to get much more condensation. I now bring it up to 350ºf because I want to get thru the plateau, it's evaporation and to 190º as quickly as possible..

;);)

PS when doing chickens I bring them to room temp first and while I'm cleaning up my wood, burning off the grey smoke.. I put my room temp chicken in the freezer for ten minutes.. this of course chills only the outside of the bird and helps get more condensation on my birdie.. If I want to really impress guests, I do this with steaks and clean smoke my first step of a reverse sear..

The Space-Time Continuum

Well, a classic barbecue technique is all wood and two fires, one to condition the wood. I love how you've adapted this to the KK, putting your two fires in sequence rather than next to each other.

I'm almost entirely there on your analysis. The one part that baffles me is how to best allow for the conversion of collagen to gelatin, which takes time. This is why I've assumed that the fast brisket advocates were working with collagen-deficient cuts where time only hurts. (That, and the teasing I'd get before I learned to blur out prices on my briskets.)

In any case, the foiled trip in a cooler to the party contributes in large part to a juicy presentation on arrival. We'll see.