DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Yo [mention=2714]Aussie Ora[/mention] great to hear from you and to see that you are still cooking up a storm.  Don't be a stranger, we are missing your weird and wonderful sauce and rub combinations!
Cheers tekobo I have been in hiatus for a while .just kicking back from the online world doing my own thing .

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

Cheers tekobo I have been in hiatus for a while .just kicking back from the online world doing my own thing .

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

That sounds good @Aussie Ora.  Also good to have you check in once in a while.  Take care!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tekobo said:

It has a deep rich flavour but your tastebuds end up dominated by the whole cloves, bits of star anise or cardamom that you end up chewing on.  

You can always make a sachet with cheesecloth to hold the spices together so they can be easily removed at the end of the cook. 

9 hours ago, David Chang said:

@tekobo i don't really know much about japanese curries other than the glopidy goop stuff they serve over rice katsu. i feel like this kind of curry is the fast food variety and someone out there in japan makes better stuff..

You sent me off on a voyage of discovery.  "Gloop" appears to be feature of Japanese curries because they use quite a heavy roux.  If the internet is to be believed, curry was introduced to the Japanese by the British who brought it from India so it is not native to Japan and they have adapted it to suit their tastes.  Hopefully if there are any Japanese KK'ers lurking here they will chime in with a more authoritative view.  

20 hours ago, tony b said:

You can always make a sachet with cheesecloth to hold the spices together so they can be easily removed at the end of the cook. 

That would be the normal approach but there were soooo many hard spices that I got the impression that Andi was expecting you to leave them in.  I will see if I can get an answer from her....

• Like 1

I use the premade Japanese curry cubes. Even the "spicy" ones aren't very spicy, at least to me anyway. I typically don't make "gloppy" curry with them; I treat it just like my usual curry powders. Fun to explore though! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tony b said:

I use the premade Japanese curry cubes. Even the "spicy" ones aren't very spicy, at least to me anyway. I typically don't make "gloppy" curry with them; I treat it just like my usual curry powders. Fun to explore though! 

if you go to thailand, or if you have a thai grocery near you, they have really good curries in paste form.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, David Chang said:

if you go to thailand, or if you have a thai grocery near you, they have really good curries in paste form.

I called them "cat food" curry pastes, because the cans remind me of cat food! I use mostly the red one, but do like the massaman, as well. We have a very nice Thai restaurant here. I have to be careful there, as they don't play around when it comes to spiciness. I made that mistake the first time that I went there, thinking "Oh, I'm sure that they tone it down for folks here in the Midwest!" WRONG! I ordered a 7 out of 10 on their spice level. Thought I was going to die after the first few bites! By the end, I was in full-blown endorphin rush - practically hallucinating! I was afraid to drive, as I couldn't focus my eyes and was panting like a dog in summer! Now, I never go above a 4 or 5, and it still kicks my butt!

• Haha 5

I usually cook paella inside, but when I’ve got some time it is so much nicer on the KK. It was a beautiful autumn evening here, and kids were sorted- so it was the perfect time to cook tonight’s paella on the KK with some post oak for smoke. Originally paella was cooked on a pan over fire, so it feels right. Simple one tonight with chorizo, chicken, Roma tomatoes and green beans/ flavoured with saffron, paprika, stock and rosemary from our garden. Spicy pimenton in the adult one. I also love cooking the whole thing outside as you set up your ‘mise en place’ and then just relax. I’m smokey as all hell though, so need a shower.

Nevertheless it was so so good- worth the extra effort.

IMG_8457.jpeg

IMG_8458.jpeg

IMG_8459.jpeg

IMG_8461.jpeg

IMG_8475.jpeg

IMG_8478.jpeg

IMG_8479.jpeg

• Like 6