DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

I’ve never heard of al pastor Troble until now.

We have a Lebanese influence here and would call that kebab.

Maybe not correct in the Lebanese tradition, however, that seems to be how we dance.

Thank you Mac. We are only trying to keep up with you.

BTW Troble, your wife is clever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Troble said:

Can you enlighten me on why you love peach wood so much? I’ve only used it once and found it to be just ok nothing special but would love an education 

I think it pairs nicely with pork. It's a milder smoke than apple or cherry. I will use apple on larger pork cuts like butts and full racks of ribs. Cherry is pretty much for poultry, but I have used it on some pork cooks. I have some fruit based dry rubs - cherry and peach, that I try and match the wood with the rub, like in this pork chop cook. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another steak night. Corn on the cob on the half grate. Bacon-wrapped prime sirloin rubbed with Sucklebusters Steak Rub and some Gunpowder. Bacon was dusted with Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust. Direct on the lower grate, 325F dome, with mesquite and post oak chunks.

443269649_LockdownSteakNight9003.thumb.jpg.fbb4e4413c42103621e9180f56710bdb.jpg

Plated with a nice 2x Baked potato finished in the air fryer. Topped with a slab of sharp cheddar cheese. Corn has some fresh cilantro mixed into the S&P infused butter. Sautéed mushroom on the side.

1607858290_LockdownSteakNight9004.thumb.jpg.fe2df44091cd4d0bca209b5ca0017d43.jpg

869630925_LockdownSteakNight9005.thumb.jpg.e30613986567e3dc59082bc5ef660d1a.jpg

• Like 4

On 6/4/2020 at 4:49 AM, Troble said:

as for my adobada. It is quite literally my favorite piece of Mexican cuisine to eat. Mind you I don’t even eat them in San Diego, there are maybe a handful of spots that do it right but I literally drive down to the border (8 miles) park my car, walk across the border, go get some adobada tacos (at least 5 can be up to 7) eat those, then walk back over the border, get my car and drive home. Round trip usually 90-120 minutes. The Tijuana style adobada tacos is legendary. 

Come to Phoenix sometime, I'll take you to a few places.  I've had amazing food in Tijuana, thankfully there are some restaurants in Phoenix that can match it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Troble said:

steak marinated in Worcester& Montreal steak seasoning 

That looks absolutely delicious.  I can't wait to do asparagus on the KK, the char it gets over a grill is fantastic.

How do you like it marinated?  I normally pour some Worcestershire on while the steak is over the flames, and found it makes a delicious "sauce" right on the surface of the steak.  Been doing that method for years for Filet/Ribeye, and have never gotten complaints.  I'm curious if marinating ahead would enhance it even further.

Edited by AJR
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AJR said:

That looks absolutely delicious.  I can't wait to do asparagus on the KK, the char it gets over a grill is fantastic.

How do you like it marinated?  I normally pour some Worcestershire on while the steak is over the flames, and found it makes a delicious "sauce" right on the surface of the steak.  Been doing that method for years for Filet/Ribeye, and have never gotten complaints.  I'm curious if marinating ahead would enhance it even further.

Marinating probably isn’t the best use of the word. I rubbed some Worcestershire on it and put the seasoning in it after I took it out of the fridge while it was coming up to room temperature, so maybe 25-30 minutes tops

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tony b said:

Killer steak dinner! You got me on the wine, though. Don't recognize the label and too fuzzy to read. 

It’s Justin cab. My wife’s favorite. You’ll often see it when I cook steaks. She finished her last day of school yesterday so she gets her favorite wine....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, AJR said:

Come to Phoenix sometime, I'll take you to a few places.  I've had amazing food in Tijuana, thankfully there are some restaurants in Phoenix that can match it.

Thanks for the invite I’ve been to Phoenix many times. My old roomate in college was from there, it’s a great town. I do consider myself very well Informed on Mexican cuisine growing up 8 miles from the border and having an office in Tijuana for two years. We have excellent Mexican food in San Diego but the Mecca’s  of Adobada tacos are located about 3 blocks from each other on the same street in Tijuana. I’ve tried all the slots in TJ and I can taste the difference between even Tijuana tacos and San Diego tacos. I’m hopeful I can try to do the Tijuana tacos, but we’ll find out shortly I’m about to start the fire up shortly 

Edited by Troble
  • Like 3

Tonight, was a "country-style pork rib" (a boneless piece of pork loin), cooked indirect (@mguerra - oh look, a "wafer thin" sheet of aluminum foil as a heat deflector!) @ 275F with hickory and apple wood chunks in the smoker pot. Pulled at 190F IT.

829319113_LockdownCountryStylePorkRib002.thumb.jpg.fd13eaf7bd35c416d48d5212f1e2ad1c.jpg

Sorry, I'd pulled the corn in the husk off the grill before snapping this pic. Rib, with as couple of side sauces for dipping, curried couscous w/fresh parsley, corn finished Mexi street style (mayo, cilantro, chile powder, lime zest and parmesan) with a side salad and crusty bread. Wine is a "house blend" of reds/white to approximate a dry Rose.

2051039497_LockdownCountryStylePorkRib004.thumb.jpg.cf4bfe29b111fd109fd367c743ff5796.jpg

• Like 6

Definition of torture - this thread when you don't have your KK yet.  I'm tempted to drive to California and haul it back on the top of my Accord.  Probably not my smartest idea, but if you keep posting pictures like that, I'll have no choice even though it would end up looking something like this.

lumber_car_feature.jpg?resize=865,452

Edited by AJR
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, AJR said:

I think I need the recipe, Troble.  That looks fantastic.

I used this as my template recipe

I was supposed to make a cilantro Mexican crema but I got too busy to do it and I forgot to cut up some pineapple chunks but overall the flavors were on point. If anybody is from an area that doesn’t have a plethora of Mexican food (this means you @Basher) this is the playbook to make amazing Mexican food. You can buy the peppers and achiote paste from amazon. You can get pork butt from your butcher. All you really need to do is find good small taco tortillas and you’re in business. This dish looks great but also is great for parties cause you only cut the outside. It took about 120 minutes to cook through an entire 8lb pork butt at 500 degrees. But man it’s good and I got tons of leftovers plus gave a plate to my parents and neighbors. 

side note I was also spraying it with pineapple juice prior to carving and closing the lid. I think that was a good move to assist the fresh outer layer in added carmelization

side note I originally started out with the lower grate on thinking I could slide my cast iron past on top of it and use it to catch meat carvings....wrong....not enough room so I had to remove the lower grate and then used a foil tray directly over the coals to catch the meat carvings. This worked great and allowed the meat to crisp up and although there was a bit too many black pieces In the foil tray by the end if the night and I had to separate the meat from burnt residue it all worked out and the meat was crispy so I would definitely recommend using a foil tray to catch the meat and help provide indirect heat 

Edited by Troble
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Boy! Lockdown is producing some really good cooking from youse.  I've been away (from the forum - not my house obviously!) for a few days and I gave up trying to "like" all the great dishes that have been produced in the time.  Inspiring. 

Here is my copy cat version of @tony b's "pork wings".  I was impatient and ate the first when it still needed slicing.  The second one I cooked for longer and it made for a nice portion of pulled pork for one with a flavour top up using home made Kansas City rub.  

5AB33501-3CEC-4FCC-A349-70A4FC142F27.thumb.jpeg.730054aa5a355148a613948396c5eea8.jpeg264696A9-D623-4494-96DA-CEF20FCB9751.thumb.jpeg.216bf0eaa6ce1281aa76373ea13d2f20.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Pizza night here with sourdough rye crust. Although they turned out well, I am finding The rye flour very difficult to handle. Much less gluten and therefore doesn’t bind easily. I have a 20kg bag in the cold room so will have to work through this.
efb66c30f493af0ad3939029623de8bb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2