wilburpan

Grilled chicken pasta with pesto and spinach

We made a quick dinner last night. I was in charge of the chicken. I took a couple of chicken breasts, drizzled them with olive oil, made a quick mix of equal parts salt, pepper, basil, and oregano, and sprinkled it on.

20923822149_1e532d8dc7_c.jpg

Into Smaug they went. 0-600ºF in 12 minutes last night.

21100523842_119188a4e7_c.jpg

Finished product.

20489543293_423da94f8b_c.jpg

I brought the chicken inside, and sliced it into pieces, making sure I sliced against the grain. In the meantime, my wife had cooked some farfalle and spinach. We tossed it all together in a bowl with some pesto.

20922523170_0b480e922b_c.jpg

And plated. Or bowled, as the case may be. ^_^

21118337361_11505d1e46_c.jpg

Here’s the KK geek moment for this cook. There’s been some talk as to the utility of the back draft door. Although it’s designed to accept the gas burner accessory, and most of us probably won’t be using that particular add-on, I found it useful for bringing up the grill to temp faster. For the first part, I lit the grill as I normally would, with the bottom vent open as much as possible. When the temperature hit 300ºF, I opened up the back draft door. The temperature rise was significantly faster after I did that.

I really like farfalle and pesto but I always forget to look for it in the market, it's a bit hard to find here.

Which one is hard to find, the farfalle or the pesto?? LOL!!

Pesto is super easy to make. Even if you had to substitute Thai Basil, it would still be good, or you can use spinach, too. Sub just about any other nut of choice for the pine nuts, I've used both walnuts and cashews before. OK, maybe not peanuts! I'm assuming that you can get good cheese - parm/regg or pecorino-romano. Pesto freezes well. I put up several containers every year from my basil plants. I haven't bought pesto is ages. Used some just tonight from the freezer, as this post had me craving it. Bumped it up with some fresh garlic and basil off the plants, a splash of vodka and half-n-half and viola - vodka cream pesto sauce! Penne, not farfalle tonight!