tony b

NYE Prime Rib

For NYE dinner, it was a nice 2 bone prime rib from Trader Joe's. Frenched the bones, as I was inspired by ckreef! Actually, it's really easy to do. 

post-975-0-00419700-1451614251_thumb.jpg

Made up a wet rub of toasted coriander seed, celery seed, black peppercorns, and mild paprika. Spices got pulverized in the mortar and pestle, with fresh garlic, salt, bay leaf and some olive oil. Mixed with Dijon mustard, fresh ground dark roast coffee, and slathered on the roast. Wrapped in plastic wrap and rested overnight in the fridge. While waiting for the grill to heat up (250F, indirect, with post oak, pecan and apple wood in the smoker pot, using the Guru), I chopped some fresh rosemary and thyme and sprinkled on the roast.

post-975-0-21563900-1451614584_thumb.jpg

Bones wrapped in foil and onto the KK.

post-975-0-02287900-1451614653_thumb.jpg

Ready for searing, at 120F IT.

post-975-0-64932100-1451614700_thumb.jpg

Reverse seared on the sear grate @ 450F dome. About 30 seconds on each side. Finished well before I was ready, so wrapped and into the cooler for 2 1/2 hours. 

post-975-0-96962500-1451614747_thumb.jpg

Sliced. Almost no gray ring in sight! If you didn't know better, you'd swear this was pre-cooked Sous Vide to get this even color. Seriously proud of myself for this one!!!

post-975-0-23250700-1451614854_thumb.jpg

Plated. Sides were Roasted Yukon Gold Potatoes, Creamed Spinach, Side Salad, some horseradish on the side, and Piper Sonoma Champagne. (This side bit is for Robert and Poochie -  appetizer was Drago style roasted oysters on the KK, with sour dough bread. Sorry, no pics, but Day-yam, they were good!!)

post-975-0-69692000-1451615085_thumb.jpg

Money shot!!

post-975-0-80918900-1451615106_thumb.jpg

Happy New Year, Everyone!! Best Wishes for 2016!!

Thanks all! It was one of my better efforts to say the least. But, I couldn't have done it without you guys pioneering the way with your Christmas roasts!!! Hats Off to my KK family!  :salute:

PRip, it took all my inner restraint to not go all caveman on that hunk of meat!! 

That is a perfect Prime Rib!!  What are Drago Style Oysters?

Thanks, Rak!

Grilled oysters on the half shell, with this insane garlic butter sauce. Drago's is the seafood restaurant in Metarie, Louisiana that is famous for them.

I normally can't get oysters in the shell here, but the local COOP had them for NYE. As soon as I saw their weekly email ad, I knew what I had to do! I had the foresight to only get 4 oysters/person, because they are so addictive, you fill up on them and would blow off the rest of the dinner!

Thanks, Rak!

Grilled oysters on the half shell, with this insane garlic butter sauce. Drago's is the seafood restaurant in Metarie, Louisiana that is famous for them.

I normally can't get oysters in the shell here, but the local COOP had them for NYE. As soon as I saw their weekly email ad, I knew what I had to do! I had the foresight to only get 4 oysters/person, because they are so addictive, you fill up on them and would blow off the rest of the dinner!

That sounds amazing!  I love oysters and those sure do sound amazing!

As with most restaurant recipes, they always hold back on the "secret ingredient," to keep you coming back to their establishment.

I'm partial to the recipe with oregano instead of parsley in the garlic butter. And, my own twist, I use roasted garlic paste instead of fresh. The key, to me, is to not skimp on the butter sauce and cheese. Hit it hard!! 

post-975-0-80528000-1451782630_thumb.jpg

• Like 1