Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Komodo Kamado

Register now to gain access to all of our features, ask queries, discuss and lot's more!

Click here to Register!

ckreef

16.5" Spring Adjustment

12 posts in this topic

Since getting my 16.5" KK earlier this year my hinge spring has slowly relaxed a bit so I wanted to adjust it.

Here is the hinge and spring cover.

fd00bbf496291b07d77fea66f2afe38b.jpg

I had Mrs skreef hold the dome open about 3/4's the way. Using a 5mm ball end Allen wrench I loosened the 2 bolts about one turn.

Once the two inner bolts were loose I was able to remove the back spring cover.

10bd134fcde394218afc64d9a15d1f11.jpg

Here is the top of the spring. Note the two bolts that I had loosened.

55fe84d619c214e1670543505a377b2c.jpg

Here is the bottom of the spring. At the bottom of the picture you can see the 2 pins that hold the bottom of the spring cover. In the middle of the picture is the bolt going up through the bottom of the spring.

Open the dome, then using the supplied wrench tighten that bolt until you achieve the desired adjustment. Check adjustment frequently as you're tightening the bolt. I tightened my bolt by 2-3 turns.

aed54d6246d30f37c96fb03c7a839943.jpg

Although I didn't adjust it for full auto opening, I adjusted it tight enough so you can let go of the dome at any time and it will sit right where you let it go at. No smashed fingers with this kamado.

7b3b525fc9d70080e19fc7b01fe18c25.jpg

0ddbf1a9a047366bec2ae9a4b3808942.jpg

This was a very simple procedure and took me longer to take the pictures then to do the actual adjustment. Once adjusted replace the spring cover and snug down the two upper bolts. This procedure should be basically the same regardless of the size of your KK.

Thanks, ck:) I appreciate you taking the pixs to show exactly how it's done. :):thumbup:  :thumbup:

Same on all KK grills..

As do all springs... they definitely settle a lil' bit in the first 6 months or so.

;-)

Ckreef

Nice photo explanation, Thanks

By the way, from the pictures I can see that you are missing the safety pin on the bolt that fixes the lid to the hinge.

Ckreef

Nice photo explanation, Thanks

By the way, from the pictures I can see that you are missing the safety pin on the bolt that fixes the lid to the hinge.

Good catch in the pictures. Yes I am missing it and yes that will be remedied soon. Can't remember why I took it out and now can't find it. I'll grab one next time I go to the hardware store. Had forgot all about it until I was behind there doing the adjustment. It had barely moved the whole time it was out. Edited by ckreef

@ckreef

I had to adjust my spring last night and your guide here - and more importantly, your in-person demo - made it a quick and easy process! Takes about 8 minutes.

The hardest part is getting the cover back on with the washers in the right place. Those little buggers keep wanting to dance around while you are putting the cover back on.

1 person likes this

The most challenging is the 16" cover because it's small. The larger grills have much more room and use the long T allen key that comes in from the other side.

1 person likes this

thanks for the tip. i just noticed today for the first time my lid didn't stay up. your pictures and description were appreciated. i am doing a smoke right now so i will wait until i finish and the KK cools down to do the adjustment. 

1 person likes this

you are cooking on a 32.  I find when the grill gets hot sometimes it doesn't stay up.  Just turn it a 1/4 turn at a time so you know where it stays up without over tightening the spring.  

If you have any questions you have my number and I will walk you through it buddy.

We still need to meet up so I can give you your cover

you are cooking on a 32.  I find when the grill gets hot sometimes it doesn't stay up.  Just turn it a 1/4 turn at a time so you know where it stays up without over tightening the spring.  

If you have any questions you have my number and I will walk you through it buddy.

We still need to meet up so I can give you your cover

Over time all Springs loosen up and will need a slight adjustment every now and then. Nature of the beast.

If it changes with temp you are not quite adjusted right - close but not there yet.

Reef's Bistro