Wingman505

Hello from the 505

I can’t tell everyone how excited I am to be a part of this community.  I’ve coveted one of these cookers for a long time and somehow convinced my off duty supervisor (wife) to purchase one yesterday evening.  We bought a 32” Big Bad in olive & gold pebble tile.  We purchased multiple accessories including the coal basket divider, dual bottom drip pan, teak side shelves, grate handles, and baking stone.  I currently own a BGE XL and a Kamado Joe Classic 2.  I will be selling the XL for sure and the jury is still out as to wether I’ll sell the KJ.  I look forward to discussing KK with everyone here!

• Like 11

Congrats on the decision wingman. None took it lightly and none seem to have regretted it either.

Great choice, pebbles cook better than squares.

Be sure to post some photos of the new toy being unwrapped.

It sounds like you are very familiar with kamado cooking. As such, post photos of your cook and ask any questions you like.

Welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Welcome!  Just wait until you get your hands on the Big Bad 32.  The difference in quality is hard to describe. 

Keep the KJ.  Many here do 2 kamado cooks all the time.   

You can sell it when you buy your 2nd KK  (don't ask me how I know 😁)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

"Great choice, pebbles cook better than squares."  😃

My wife and I limed the look a little better.  I was initially liking the cobalt blue, but my wife really wanted a more neutral color tone as we live in NM and everything is a shade of brown or tan in this area.  I like the Olive/Gold quite a bit as well.  I had better... I already ordered it.  :)

I'm excited for a number of reasons.  I'm sick of adjusting BGE XL straps and having a small gap at the back of the hinge allowing smoke and moisture to escape.  I'm sick of the plate setter gaps that scorch your food at the ends.  I'm really looking forward to the fuel efficiency, steady temperatures, and moisture retention if the KK.  The fact that it looks like a work of art doesn't hurt either.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Welcome to the Obsession, Wingman! You're going to be blown away once it arrives and you start to cook on it. HUGE improvement over the BGE. Can't wait to see those all important uncrating and first cook pictures! Don't be afraid to ask questions - that's why we're here - community support - from a safe distance! :smt042

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Wingman505 said:

I can’t tell everyone how excited I am to be a part of this community.  I’ve coveted one of these cookers for a long time and somehow convinced my off duty supervisor (wife) to purchase one yesterday evening.  We bought a 32” Big Bad in olive & gold pebble tile.  We purchased multiple accessories including the coal basket divider, dual bottom drip pan, teak side shelves, grate handles, and baking stone.  I currently own a BGE XL and a Kamado Joe Classic 2.  I will be selling the XL for sure and the jury is still out as to wether I’ll sell the KJ.  I look forward to discussing KK with everyone here!

Not only welcome, you appear to have unbelievably good taste! 

Is "Wingman" because you have a hankerin' for wings, or did you fly something in your past? If latter, which service, jet, etc.? If former, which sauce?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My last name is Wingle.  "Wingman" was coined my first year of Pop Warner football when I was 7 years old.  The coach tried pronouncing my name two times, gave up, and yelled "Matt Wingman!"  It stuck from that moment on.  Ironically I joined the USAF in 1999 and spent 11 years as a Nuclear Weapons Team Chief.  I work in NW to this day.  I have also been known to help a fellow friend  and take one for the team from time to time.  :D  I guess its all applicable to some extent.

I'm going to take a ton of pictures of the setup and subsequent cooks.  I have to get this 1000 pound behemoth from the front of my house to the back, over gravel, through two gates, while fighting a grade.  I'm going to employ the plywood method and leap frog the wood along the way.  I'm starting to think employing people to do it for me may be the best path forward.  Ive also researched chartering a crane.  I don't have long to decide as mine was in stock in California.  Dennis said it'd be here by mid next week.

Speaking of Dennis... He spent a half hour on the phone with me answering questions about the cooker, delivery, setup, our dogs, spice rubs, etc.  What an amazing guy.  It's clear to me he's really involved from purchase through ownership.  I haven't experienced an owner who's so involved and accessible.  I see evidence of this level of CS on this forum too.  I've seen proposed design changes as a result of loyal customer suggestions.  It makes one feel as if each customer is incredibly important and can positively affect future product development.  Special stuff....

• Like 5