Basher

Lamb noisette with balsamic vinegar.

Prepared two lamb noisettes yesterday. These are boned out barrel ribs( mid rib section) rolled.
0b39f7e2a05b2f03fc0ce4566234c335.jpg
I’m loving this cut as the fat roll around the outside making it easy to render at high heat while also having very tender, lean lamb in the middle that can remain medium rare.
First rubbed with salt, pepper, cumin, chilli.
55982899b19e629ffbca388c99c89ba5.jpg
Then placed in bag with fresh mint and balsamic vinegar to marinate overnight- prefer two days but this will do.
7f65beffc8b44f6a8840649b67cd5c47.jpg
Given I’ll cook two today, I can experiment with reverse sear and forward sear and will report back on the difference.
The juice in the bag will be reduced on the stovetop for red wine balsamic sauce.
Stay tuned, I’ll finish this post within 24 hours.
I’m taking bets. Who would favour reverse sear( slowly bring to rare temp on the split grate then finish on searing grill), who favours forward sear( seared on the lower grill first then raised to the split grill and slowly bring to medium internal temp)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

I can’t speak to lamb, but with beef I have had better results with reverse sear keeping the interior medium-rare or medium without a lot of grey meat at the perimeter. So, I’m going to stick with reverse sear for this one. A great experiment.

• Like 4

It ended up pretty similar for outcome of cook.
Reverse sear took a little longer, hard to distinguish the difference in crust and texture- always expected flavour to be the same.
Big difference is ease of cook.
Reverse sear definitely easier.
Forward sear needs attention at the beginning of cook to manage flare ups- seen by excessive smoke.
Reverse sear allowed me to build into the management of this.
da5a989f54bc22b30404cf32013f2c17.jpg
The outcome was a huge hit.
Exactly what was desired. Medium rare with the edges more medium for those not liking the juices. The fat rendered beautifully.
Although they look burnt outside, they were not. This was the Balsamic effect.

• Like 9

As long as it's works is my guess, although I prefer the slower rise to bring to temp with a browning and then down low to bring on the heat. Why go to a restaurant when it looks that good!

Thanks all.
Tyrus this is definitely the easier method and a less stressful cook.
I meant to say, the sauce from this cook was amazing. I poured the bagged marinate into a pan, added some stock then reduced to 30%, then stirred in a few dollops of butter. Beurre Noir Sauce????
Not sure what you’d call it?
Anyway, caramelised with a subtle acid tang from the vinegar.

• Like 2

@Basher That looks absolutely delicious.

I can taste it.

Great tip for the marinade and Beurre Balsamique ( :-)) 

We are having " Toad in the Hole " tonight - the consolation is that it comes form one of these :

( That's not the picture I had in mind - the thumbnails are too small and I 'm still celebrating @tekobo arrivals !

IMG_1560.JPG

Edited by RokDok
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

That's a beautiful looking cook @Basher and the sauce sounds delicious.

18 hours ago, RokDok said:

We are having " Toad in the Hole " tonight

@RokDok we really are twins separated at birth.  We were plunged into Tier 4 with Boris' announcement last night.  No mixing for Christmas and so my Southern menu is postponed.  Asked The Husband what we should have now that we only have ourselves to impress.  He said, "toad in the hole".  That's because that's what we had for our first Christmas meal together.  With a bottle of Krug.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Twins separated at birth @tekobo ? - you'll be telling me next that you're learning Italian too !

My eldest and I have just spent an hour digging up two (rather obscene looking- but quite artistic - they could win the turnip prize) parsnips from the allotment - more like an archaeological  dig - they're two feet long - you have to use your fingers to dig them out.

We are firing up the Weber and having crispy duck thighs with potatoes cooked in the fat that drips off them.

Now , if you're having that tonight I am going to buy a lottery ticket.

The big bad 10.2 % matt black stout is the best beer I've ever made.

Here's what it looks like :

5c073aea-c891-40c7-b630-71883b140b8a.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, RokDok said:

We are firing up the Weber and having crispy duck thighs with potatoes cooked in the fat that drips off them.

Now , if you're having that tonight I am going to buy a lottery ticket.

No, abbiamo mangiato brisketta (I don't know what brisket is in Italian so just add an a and blag it with a strong Italian accent) sta sera.  Anatra con patate mi sembrano molto bene.  

No google translate was harmed in the production of the above text and all errors are mine and mine alone.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4