DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Inspired, I did a rib-eye cap steak from CostCo last night. Direct, lower grate, mesquite chunks, rubbed with Dizzy Pig Raising the Steaks.

1064901711_Rib-eyecapsteak001.thumb.jpg.4c46c0b4a228f01730c893db745c7291.jpg

Plated with a huge baked potato loaded with Peruvian green sauce, sauteed shrooms and creamed spinach. Chimichurri for the steak, too. Side salad and dinner rolls.

1611660061_Rib-eyecapsteak002.thumb.jpg.21d0544fd6d6abb62f4927aee4d0c4b0.jpg

703461803_Rib-eyecapsteak003.thumb.jpg.5b2f608988a8a7102a01f8a6cb1b194d.jpg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Steve M said:

That's a pretty cool setup. So simple but effective.

I've never seen gin with such a dark color. Looks like dark rum. How was it?

Incredibly simple. A reminder that for all the kit I have, you can achieve great results with technique and motivation! 

I'm not sure what the gin scene is like in VA but the UK has a proliferation of gins and I've seen seen gin in everything from lurid green to neon pink. 

The gin we were drinking was actually infused with Rooibos which is a Fynbos species used to make tea. It literally translates from Afrikaans as 'Red (Rooi) Bush (Bos). Pronounced as Roy-e-boss. The colour comes from the infusion. It's a dry gin but is quite honeyed - Rooibos is particularly refreshing drunk as an ice tea and is popular as an afternoon refresher with a little orange juice or honey. It does have a slight sweetness, perhaps toward an acacia honey but not sickly sweet. I think it works really well with the juniper. Never tastes the same drunk in the UK though!

This is the bottle if you're interested: New Harbour Distillery Rooisbos Gin. It's a middle to upper middle market gin. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Troble said:

@Braai-Q thank you for sharing! That looks awesome. I absolutely love cooking outside over a fire in the wilderness. Your trip looks phenomenal 

Thanks Troble. Growing up in Africa and going back regularly, I've done a lot of outdoor cooking. I've had my meals interrupted by Hyaena, Lion, Baboons, Elephant and Buffalo on at last a dozen or more occasions. The birdlife also seems to like inviting itself along too! 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Braai-Q said:

Thanks Troble. Growing up in Africa and going back regularly, I've done a lot of outdoor cooking. I've had my meals interrupted by Hyaena, Lion, Baboons, Elephant and Buffalo on at last a dozen or more occasions. The birdlife also seems to like inviting itself along too! 

I dated a South African for 7 years. I’ve been there 4 times. She was from Capetown a d her family lived in Constancia so it was a nice visit outside the flight. I know Roobois tea very well and I have find new prices of being in our early 20s and going on a backpacker trip through the Kruger and eating springbock stew under the stars before going on our night drives. Very beautiful country South Africa 

Edited by Troble
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Braai-Q said:

Incredibly simple. A reminder that for all the kit I have, you can achieve great results with technique and motivation! 

I'm not sure what the gin scene is like in VA but the UK has a proliferation of gins and I've seen seen gin in everything from lurid green to neon pink. 

The gin we were drinking was actually infused with Rooibos which is a Fynbos species used to make tea. It literally translates from Afrikaans as 'Red (Rooi) Bush (Bos). Pronounced as Roy-e-boss. The colour comes from the infusion. It's a dry gin but is quite honeyed - Rooibos is particularly refreshing drunk as an ice tea and is popular as an afternoon refresher with a little orange juice or honey. It does have a slight sweetness, perhaps toward an acacia honey but not sickly sweet. I think it works really well with the juniper. Never tastes the same drunk in the UK though!

This is the bottle if you're interested: New Harbour Distillery Rooisbos Gin. It's a middle to upper middle market gin. 

I think with state run spirit stores, ours is a bit muted on just about everything. That does sound really refreshing.

Despite my limitations, your post did inspire me to prepare a few G&T's with our plain old clear versions on this mild and lovely evening while I wait on the chicken wings to stop spinning.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Troble said:

I dated a South African for 7 years. I’ve been there 4 times. She was from Capetown a d her family lived in Constancia so it was a nice visit outside the flight. I know Roobois tea very well and I have find new prices of being in our early 20s and going on a backpacker trip through the Kruger and eating springbock stew under the stars before going on our night drives. Very beautiful country South Africa 

Excellent. After 7 years, I expect you support all the right Rugby teams and act in an appropriate way when people ask if you'd like 'wors... :-) 

Constantia is a superb part of the world. I think you can find beauty in so much of the world though, you just have to look. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Steve M said:

I think with state run spirit stores, ours is a bit muted on just about everything. That does sound really refreshing.

Despite my limitations, your post did inspire me to prepare a few G&T's with our plain old clear versions on this mild and lovely evening while I wait on the chicken wings to stop spinning.

Cheers

My wife says that I'm enough to drive her to drink which generally prompts me to offer her one. I try to be helpful. 😀 

There is no such thing as a bad G&T, it's only bad when your glass is empty.

If you can get your hands on Rooibos, the infusion is easy. It's not the same as running it through a still as part of the distillation process but if you steep it for a day or so, I'd say it wouldn't be that far off. When we have parties, I do a spring punch and instead of getting carried away with sugar, introduce some sweetness with rooibos and honey. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1