egmiii

First Brisket

I've had my 21" for about three weeks now and have done ribs, pork butt, chicken thighs, and a chuck roast (pulled beef). The grill has performed flawlessly on every cook. I decided it was time to step it up this weekend and tackle a brisket. I purchased a 12# Angus from Restaurant Depot for 3.14 a pound. Trimmed it down to 9.5 pounds, then seasoned with salt and pepper 50/50. I decided to do a hot and fast cook with a twist. I would start at 200, then slowly ramp up to 310 over a two hour window. My theory was that this would allow more smoke to condense on the meat (since the surface temp would stay low, longer). I used coffee lump with some cherry wood.

Here's a shot at 10am. Grate temp 200F.

post-1270-0-24834300-1447104817_thumb.jp

Here's a shot at 12pm. Grate temp 310F.

post-1270-0-10711500-1447104823_thumb.jp

Here's a shot at 3pm right before wrapping in butcher paper. Grate temp 310F.

post-1270-0-77286300-1447104830_thumb.jp

I decided to mow the lawn at this point and came back 2 hours later to check the internal temp. The grill had dropped to 289 since the wind finally died down. To my surprise the meat internal was 210F! I thought I had destroyed the meat at this point and was planning to eat mush. It was probe tender everywhere. I wrapped it in foil and tossed it into a cooler with towels until 7.

Here's a shot post rest. The bark got even better while wrapped in the butcher paper!

post-1270-0-94025300-1447104837_thumb.jp

I sliced the entire thing, taking samples as I progressed from the flat to point. All I can say is, Wow! Tender, juicy, and incredible flavor. I did the bend and tug test to check for doneness that I've seen on the BBQ competition shows and it passed with flying colors. Check out that smoke ring. Going forward, I wouldn't change a thing. Hopefully this encourages more of you to attempt the hot and fast technique.

post-1270-0-52364500-1447104844_thumb.jp

The temperature can be all over the place and you still get a great result. In the past I talked about the hybrid hot fast where you start out at a more typical temperature like 225 for the first phase of the cook and then after you wrap in paper bump it up to 300 something. For example you could start at 225 and then go play golf. When you get back you should still have plenty of time to hit 165 or thereabouts before you wrap it in paper. Then kick the fire temperature up to 300,325 or 350. There is a tremendous amount of flexibility available to you in this cook. As you quite obviously discovered!!

Thanks for the kudos everyone. I'm surprised it came out so good on the first try, but I really shouldn't be. The KK has delivered amazing results on my previous cooks. Each dish was the best I've ever cooked. I've read Franklins book twice, watched all of his videos, and read the forums for years. And finally, I have to single out and thank mguerra for his brisket tips post a few weeks back. It gave me the confidence to try this so soon. I didn't have to get up at 4am and eat alone at midnight. I woke up late, had coffee, started the fire, trimmed/seasoned, and was serving by 7pm. Much easier than any pork butt I've ever done.