ckreef

Unboxing New WFO - crazy delivery story.

2 hours ago, amusedtodeath said:

@ckreef,  Is it wrong for us all to covet that thing? :x   

Really like the extended chimney. 

LOL - I just looked up your location. Not only can you covet it but one day you can take a ride and I'll let you play with it ;)

Definitely wanted the extended chimney with rain cap. Keep the rain out and the smoke from blowing directly in your face.  Both are really high quality made out of SS. A bit pricey but since this was made in Portugal it has a funky chimney dimension that's not readily available in the states. 

• Like 1

We just watched a netflix documentary about pizza and have declared tonight pizza night.  I know you are the expert [mention=1832]ckreef[/mention] but I am not sure where to find the definitive recipes. Did a search and saw that you had tried four different doughs but need to keep searching for the definitive tutorial.  Grateful if you could post a link just in case I can't find it...

I have had such ups and downs with pizzas that I just purchased “The Elements of Pizza” by Ken Forkish. Well worth the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Grant said:

Congratulations!   I can’t wait to see the fabulous dishes that come out of there.   Did you happen to see the porterhouse that Bosco did in his a few weeks ago?   It looked phenomenal.   

I've wanted a WFO for a while now. It was @bosco's recent wfo cooks that pushed me over the edge. Me and Mrs skreef had been saving up the cash to pay off our final credit card debt. Used that cash to buy the WFO instead. Oops still have that credit card balance. It's OK it's on zero interest for the next 8 months and we'll get it paid off before then. 

Edited by ckreef
  • Like 2

On 4/7/2018 at 8:36 PM, MacKenzie said:

ck, wow, what an experience. I read your post in the middle of the night when I couldn't sleep then went to sleep and had an awful dream about that miserable delivery you had. :(:(:(   Now that I'm wide awake it all seems better that it is sitting in your yard. :) It looks beautiful and I can't wait to see it on it's stand. That first fire is going to be a sight to behold. :) Sk, keep that camera rolling. :-D 

As you know I was living a delivery nightmare for 3 or 4 days. Glad I'm finally awake and  it's over now. 

The WFO does require a 5 day burn in cure cycle before you can really fire it up. Day one a 140* fire for 4-5 hours. For the next 4 days you increase the fire temp every day and let it ride for 4-5 hours. This is to drive out any residual moisture in the refractory cement from deep inside the walls/floor. It should be a fun 5 days learning how to control the temperature while maintaining a fire. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Ok Charles! Not only a master chef now a master mechanic, to cool. What a beautiful looking WFO. Now I want one lol. Have fun setting it up and I ( and I think I speak for all of us) we will be looking forward future cooks and pictures. Ok off to the web to check out that place in AZ.

Okay true confession time. The radiator reservoir had split a seam. It has a water sensor in it so if it doesn't hold water the truck shuts down. All modern trucks are like this. A new water reservoir, 6 bolts and 4 hose clamps and the fix was complete. Not exactly master mechanic but I can turn a wrench if needed. 

Authentic Pizza Ovens is another great business similar to KK. When you call you get to talk to the owner Penny. A pleasure doing business with her and my nightmare had nothing to do with them. 

27 minutes ago, sfdrew28 said:

I have had such ups and downs with pizzas that I just purchased “The Elements of Pizza” by Ken Forkish. Well worth the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea one day I'm going to buy that book. It comes highly recommended. 

7 minutes ago, Pequod said:

Beautiful WFO! Been eyeing one of those for awhile now, but undecided between upgrading my espresso setup and upgrading my pizza setup. Glad you got yours home intact. Now show us what you can do!

It will definitely be a fun new adventure. One of the last items needed to complete my BBQ cooking arsenal. I have another recent purchase,  just not ready to post that one yet, but really soon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ckreef said:

I'll see if I can post up some links later this weekend. My pizza game is ever evolving. I'm hoping to really take it to the next level with this new acquisition. 

Great, thanks.  I worked out that "pizza" and "tonight" are not compatible unless I was ordering a take out. :)

1 hour ago, sfdrew28 said:

Absolutely!  @MacKenzie put me on to him and I took The Elements of Pizza with me in the car earlier today to check on my options. It was then that I realised I really didn't have the time to make pizza today, even using his same day recipe.  Still keen to try and will set myself up to have pizza for supper tomorrow, no matter how late it gets...

• Like 3

@ckreef - AWESOME!! I know all kinds of sick pies will be coming out of that baby as soon as it's broken in!!

3 hours ago, tekobo said:

Absolutely!  @MacKenzie put me on to him and I took The Elements of Pizza with me in the car earlier today to check on my options. It was then that I realised I really didn't have the time to make pizza today, even using his same day recipe.  Still keen to try and will set myself up to have pizza for supper tomorrow, no matter how late it gets...

Add this one to your arsenal, tekobo:

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/articles/614-one-hour-pizza?incode=MCSCD00L0&ref=new_search_experience_2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DennisLinkletter said:

It's really beautiful Charles, congrats.. Looks like they understand what fit and finish is..

How much does that baby weigh?  LOL

TY Dennis. To be honest the handmade Artisan approach to this reminded me of KK's. After owning KK's not just any grill will do. Also it's firebrick, covered in refractory cement, covered in rockwool, covered in refractory cement then finished with the stone. The different layers with insulation in the middle also reminded me of KK's. 

It weighs 1,500 lbs. Work has a brand new service truck with large boom that I can borrow to set it up on a stand. Went to a local landscaping supplier today. They have the perfect building blocks for making a stand. Will go buy 2 pallets worth next paycheck so I can get moving on this project. 

28 minutes ago, tony b said:

@ckreef - AWESOME!! I know all kinds of sick pies will be coming out of that baby as soon as it's broken in!!

Add this one to your arsenal, tekobo:

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/articles/614-one-hour-pizza?incode=MCSCD00L0&ref=new_search_experience_2

TY tony, I'll try not to disappoint. And I have a bunch of non pizza ideas too. 

Edited by ckreef

1 hour ago, amusedtodeath said:

That's funny - we are almost neighbors! My wife, Charlane, and I will drive a couple hours for good pizza pie anytime! 

Early fall after I've had time to learn this oven we'll have you two over for a small pizza party. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Shuley said:

I just love how happy you are in those pics.  That is an awesome addition to your outdoor kitchen.  Wish I lived closer to you so I could try a piece of what I know would be the best pizza ever. 

If you ever have an extra long layover at ATL let us know. Me and Mrs skreef will grab you up, feed you some (hopefully) awesome pizza and deliver you back just in time to catch your connecting flight. 

• Like 1