Nanuk

BB 32 First Impressions

This is my standard canned answer about 23" and 32's size.. First of all the 32"Big Bad.. is not Huge.. it's just not... heavy yes but as a work surface no.

If you're going to be primarily low and slow cooking the 23" is probably going to cover all your needs..  6 to 8 pork butts is 50-60 lbs of meat... more than most groups require and you can always cook two loads and have the first on holding hot in a cooler..

Now if you like to grill the 23" fills up very quickly especially if you want to grill some veggies at the same time as your meat.

I'll say it again.. the 32" is a very large "Kamado" type grill but very conservative size for a rectangular gas grill.. when you open it up, it's really not that big.

Remember it's not a 32" round grill but 32" wide and 22" deep.. any deeper and suddenly your cooking your arm and body when you try to reach the rear of the grate.. IMHO these 29" round grills are ridiculous.. who wants to be walking around while you cook..

I'm 5' 11"... if I stand in front of a 32" where I would be cooking,  put both arms straight out from my shoulders, move my right hand a 1 o'clock and my left hand to 11  o'clock that's the 32..  without moving at all I can comfortably reach all of the grill..  I NEVER grill on my 23 anymore..

With the basket splitter at 50% it gives me a large shielded area which I can hide my hand over.  This lets me play with my food/meat without cooking my hand. I can even hold a thick cut on it's side with tongs for as long as I want without gloves, I can also put a cup of baste with brush down on the shielded side of the grate. 

Throw 6 pieces of corn around the edges and you still have room to cook.. 

You can work your way thru grilling for larger groups on a 23" by doing reverse searing etc but if you have the room and funds the 32 absolutely rocks.

I'm still entertaining building a larger KK for commercial / party use.  I know I have more than 10 people ready to go..

While cooking in front of a 32 you can easily imagine another 10" in the middle..  

I have to admit to having dreams of a  42" Serious BadBoy...  LOL

This is a shot of two small-ish tri tips on a 32" with the basket splitter at 50%..  

As you can see it is a VERY reasonable size for "grilling".. 

32TriTopCook.jpg

• Like 3

The temp controls on this thing are amazing.

First time using it, and went pretty slowly to 200 then opened a little bit more and up to 300, and then again opened a little more and got all the way up to 540 ish, and closed a little so I can have it cured. Been around that temp for 1 hour and 30 minutes.

This grill is way better than I expected.

• Like 1

Dennis now you sold me can I trade in a 23" for the Big Bad...LOL

Tony I see a third in you're future!!

I so pleased to be reading all of this!! The info I have read from otherness almost intimidated me into not getting a 32". Now I so pleased that my chat with Dennis made me reconsider the 32".

I can not wait to have my 23/32 combo!!

I am going to have my 32" set up on the right so that will be my roti grill!!

Thanks guys this just made my day

Bosco, you are on the right track.

This things are amazing.

I was set on a 23, even made the deposit and changed my mind right before the shipping.

I'm pretty happy with the 32. I think that if I would have gotten the 23, would always be thinking I should've gotten the 32.

Happy that it serves you well.

Fernando

I so pleased to be reading all of this!! The info I have read from otherness almost intimidated me into not getting a 32". Now I so pleased that my chat with Dennis made me reconsider the 32".

The third one for me is the 16" then I'm done or divorced.

• Like 1

Bosco, you are on the right track.

This things are amazing.

I was set on a 23, even made the deposit and changed my mind right before the shipping.

I'm pretty happy with the 32. I think that if I would have gotten the 23, would always be thinking I should've gotten the 32.

Happy that it serves you well.

Fernando

And to think, you haven't even cooked on it yet, and are this blown away! Wait til you cook on it and taste the great food you're going to make; your head will likely explode!!

I suspected that was what it was since that is the color I have been eyeing for the Big 32.  Thanks for the reassurance :-)

I was thinking about putting a hammered copped cladding on the teak wings.  Has anyone tried doing it?   Since it will sit next to a large copper fire pit hood I thought it might be appropriate.

Edited by FotonDrv
added text
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Beautiful KK and I really like the backdrop. Don't know about the copper sounds like it would be pretty cool  though. 

The copper would get a nice patina on it since we live on the beach in a saltwater environment.  When the winds kicks up the salt spray gets everything corroded so that was why I went with a big copper hood over the fire pit, which turned a greenish brown.  I might lower it and polish it so the wings and the hood could age together and since I now have a fenced yard with a big fuzzy guard wandering around I would not have to worry about copper thieves.

On September 5, 2015 at 4:33 PM, bosco said:

Why did you make the 32" as the rotisserie grill ?  Just curious.  Thanks.