bosco

Tri-Tip in before the rain

We just got hammered with a rain storm..... but I was able to get my dinner cooked in time.  I love me some tri-tip and when I saw this 3.5 pound monster at the supermarket yesterday, I had to grab it.  I hit it up with Lanes Ancho Espresso and brisket rub.  I usually do my own custom santa maria style rub, however, I wanted to try something new.   Like all Lanes rubs, this is a game changer!  Cooked to and IT of 135, 145 on the end for my wife and younger son.  Grilled some asparagus at the end of the cook.  

I absolutely love tri-tip, it is very difficult to find up here in Canada but man it makes the times that I find it all the better.

_DSC2048.jpg

_DSC2052.jpg

_DSC2058.jpg

_DSC2041.jpg

• Like 5

I love how the tri-tip swells up when you cook it.  It is such an interesting cut of beef.  Very tender, and juicy.  Cant wait for leftovers tomorrow.  

I can only find tri-tip every once in a while where I live. The popular cut in the stores these days are flat iron steaks. They too swell up when they cook.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Trends are slow to make it this far south, I guess. I've been hearing about flat iron steaks for years. I saw my first one ever at Walmart last week.

I cook a fair amount of flat iron steaks. Marinate them for a while. Cook it hot and fast on a CI griddle. Sliced thin for fajitas and what not - yummy.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

@ckreef We do flat irons often.  Really a flavorful cut, and not too terribly expensive.  We also do a lot of skirt steak for fajitas.  It can be kind of tough, but we generally use lime juice in the marinade (especially since it is often for mexican food) that helps to tenderize it.  Because it is quite thin, it is easy to get a good sear and gives a lot of nice grill flavor in the fajitas.