DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

four-butts.jpgbourbons.jpg

Bour-BQ-Sauce.jpg

Getting four pork butts ready for Laurie's Greek Orthodox Church on Sunday. I cooked for them last year and they asked me back. Taking one for the team, trying bourbons for the Bour-BQ sauce from "Smoke & Spice". I'm not normally one for such adornments, but a friend made this and it's awesome; we both make it now for large events. I'll mix some in with the pulled pork for "sloppy joe" style sandwiches, with a layer of coleslaw. That works.

dragonfly.jpg

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, tony b said:

@Syzygies A more economical bourbon would work just as well and not waste "the good stuff."

Huh. I thought these were the affordable choices! I have to be able to drink the leftovers.

I won't pretend that I can't navigate the cheap shelves at BevMo. There was a math department Christmas party some years ago, the department admin tried to wrap things up by 10pm. I ducked out with a determined look, so the grad students held off on bolting for the local bars. I returned with a "handle of Jack". The bottle lasted twenty minutes, and the legend will last twenty years. Then I bolted with the grad students for the local bars.

Here is our "cooking Armagnac". I highly recommend it if you can find it. Have you seen the prices on the good stuff?

TheArmagnac.jpg

Edited by Syzygies
  • Like 1

I've never seen it, but I don't generally cook with Armagnac. I use Christian Brothers cognac. Most of my cooking liquors are cheap - bottom shelf stuff. If I need to finish a dish with a splash, where the actual flavor will make a difference, then I'll upgrade and grab something better off the bar. 

Thanks for all the great comments KKers!  That pan of Mac-n-Cheese didn't even see the guests who returned for seconds.  It was done after Round 1!  I was told that if I ever brought something that good and that small, don't bother showing up next time!  I just smiled.  So now I'm screwed ... I have to cook double portions.  No good deed goes unpunished around here!