DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

OK, tonight's dinner, being totally confessional, is Leftover Kabobs. I had about half of a previously grilled tri-tip in the fridge that I was desperately trying to think of how to use it up? The muses came to me and said "kabobs!" So, I cut it up into chunks, seasoned the cuts sides with a blend of Dizzy Pig IPA and Sucklebusters Hoochie Mama, then onto one skewer. Some yellow onion and brown mushrooms on the other skewers, slathered with garlic olive oil and Sucklebusters SPG (salt, pepper, garlic) and a dash of purple crack (because!) Grilled direct, at 375F, for about 25 minutes on the lower grate.

20180430_171133.thumb.jpg.12048d325df6c968db8ad59e0480dc40.jpg

Done, on a platter of rice pilaf. 

20180430_171658.thumb.jpg.0e33b66ba659c4080f91f0b54ec5add3.jpg

Plated with a nice Pinot Noir.

20180430_172019.thumb.jpg.d2e2c27709c94576ca5b2fe54b73e459.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Tyrus said:

Those skewers look like the local blacksmith turned em.

Astute eye! They were made by the blacksmiths down in the Amana Colonies as part of a Churrasco setup.

164774694_AmanaRack.thumb.JPG.ec9f53a28ba372ac9b50ab37ee96cfdb.JPG

They did several other pieces for me over the years - a custom pot rack for my kitchen remodel, and the BBQ table on my deck. 

001.thumb.JPG.5b96df980b169985090408a39f6f7c33.JPG

• Like 7

Really lovely food story from the weekend.  We had a couple over for Sunday lunch and I was worried that the two small lamb loin chops that I had allocated for each person would not be sufficient. I bulked the meal out with Brazilian sides like coconut rice, farofa and beans.  I also had a back up with a rather small brisket joint that I had untied and unrolled (they are usually roasting joints here) and put on the 21" early that morning.  Well, that brisket became the star of the show.  Our friend is in her 80s and from Brisbane and she said the last time she had eaten brisket was when her mother cooked it for her many years ago.  There was no appreciation shown for my smoke ring but much love for the rub (coarse Dizzy dust) and the "crunchy bits" (burnt ends).  Needless to say, there is no meat left but I have lots of rice and beans to eat up.  Hurrah!

Edited by tekobo
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, tekobo said:

Really lovely food story from the weekend.  Well, that brisket became the star of the show.  Our friend is in her 80s and from Brisbane and she said the last time she had eaten brisket was when her mother cooked it for her many years ago.  There was no appreciation shown for my smoke ring but much love for the rub (coarse Dizzy dust) and the "crunchy bits" (burnt ends).  Needless to say, there is no meat left. Hurrah!

That's a very nice story. I know you were smiling on the outside, and absolutely beaming on the inside. :smt049

• Like 2

Thanks all.   They both love to eat and the added dimension of feeding her a long lost cut was great @Bruce Pearson.  @amusedtodeath, I was laughing out loud most of the time - she tells some very bawdy jokes!  @MacKenzie, I was planning to use the one KK but the brisket stalled for ages and so, in a panic, I lit the 23".  Didn't need it in the end.  I broke the stall by raising the temp in the 21", pulled the brisket when it hit temp and while it was resting I cranked up the 21" for the chops and turned off the 23".  First World problem - how many KKs shall I light today???

• Like 1
  • Haha 3