MacKenzie

Chicken Pot Pie

Finally did something that I've been wanting to do for some time now and that is to make a chicken pot pie.

Ready for the pie crust.

kPMmjSY.jpg

A miracle, it went on in one piece. :)

slrKIJH.jpg

Ready for 45 mins. on the KK which is running at 450F.

cyrPZAd.jpg

Baked.

GNYQJnk.jpg

Steaming hot and off the grill.

pZ3SffI.jpg

Dinner is served.

lY0CEqU.jpg

The best chicken pot pie I've ever had was one I made from Tasmin Day-Lewis,  Tarts with Tops On. The actor Daniel's sister. The book was an excuse for bringing this one recipe to print, and it's a masterpiece that takes twice as long as one would expect.

In the same spirit, I've started working through Slow Fires, just released. He's a kindred spirit, another anchovies and capers guy who can show me a few things. Nothing radical but the ensemble effect of everything he says to do is extraordinary. The pappardelle with rabbit sugo surprised me; I knew I wouldn't be eating it on day one, but if I had read through the recipe before starting I would have realized I needed other plans for day two, also. A 24 dry rub, then rinse and 12 hours air dry in fridge, then braise, pull meat and chill for later assembly. I was crushed to see the pot come out of the oven bubbling away, I just knew I should have substituted sous vide. Then I tasted it, his preparation totally offset the ill effects of conventional braising. This was the best rabbit I've tasted in my life. A challenging meat many people give a pass, because it's so hard to get it to come out wonderful.

I haven't eaten the best chicken pot pie I ever ate yet. Like Dennis, I had more than my share of the Swanson's beef and chicken pot pies. In my book, they all tied for last place. Maybe if I ate a homemade one my opinion would change. But not having eaten one for the last 47 years is fine with me. Yours does look much better than what I've ever eaten, Mac, so I'm not dissin' your pie.

I haven't eaten the best chicken pot pie I ever ate yet. Like Dennis, I had more than my share of the Swanson's beef and chicken pot pies. In my book, they all tied for last place. Maybe if I ate a homemade one my opinion would change. But not having eaten one for the last 47 years is fine with me. Yours does look much better than what I've ever eaten, Mac, so I'm not dissin' your pie.

Sounds like it's time for you to make a nice homemade chicken pot pie. KK grilled chicken, some fresh vegetables and a nice gravy. Pop can pie crust and you're on the way.

I make some type of chicken pot pie almost once a month. An easy meal to prepare somewhat on the fly. Tastes good and filling. Can't wait to one day see a Poochie version.

And like most I too burned out on cheapie chicken pot pies in my younger days. Once I started making them myself I experienced a whole new level.

Sounds like it's time for you to make a nice homemade chicken pot pie. KK grilled chicken, some fresh vegetables and a nice gravy. Pop can pie crust and you're on the way.

I make some type of chicken pot pie almost once a month. An easy meal to prepare somewhat on the fly. Tastes good and filling. Can't wait to one day see a Poochie version.

And like most I too burned out on cheapie chicken pot pies in my younger days. Once I started making them myself I experienced a whole new level.

Reminds me of the comparison of Kraft Dinner and homemade Mac & Cheese. :) I can't believe I used to love that KD stuff and those Pre-made Chicken pot pies. :)