tony b

Hatch Chile Time Again

Hatch chiles arrived at the local supermarket last week. Bought 3 lbs. Finally got around to roasting 2 1/2 lbs today. The other 1/2 lb was put up fresh. 

20170822_141359.thumb.jpg.eeeb468dd4f2954ef95def4b77b976e7.jpg

20170822_141351.thumb.jpg.f4a5ba5788e4cdd384f0496a369a9101.jpg

I made the cage for the rotisserie basket last year out of 1/2" wire fabric. Works great for this application. 

• Like 5

Thought I had a good picture of it outside the rotisserie basket, but guess not.

001.thumb.JPG.bdd6008953ac7b293567915af440551c.JPG

The trick is to make one end a half-moon so it's easy to get the chiles in/out without taking it apart. You put the wire basket inside the rotisserie basket with the open half-moon up against the matching metal side of the roti basket. The other trick is to trim off the stems of the chiles flush with the body or they get caught in the holes of the basket. 

Timely post:   I just roasted several pounds of fresh Hatch chiles last weekend too!    Going back for more.   Interestingly Safeway has them here (.99/lb) along with a California/Nevada grocer but the Safeway peppers are much larger than "Raley's" and what I have bought in New Mexico.   But even if Safeway is passing New Mexican Green chiles off as Hatch, at 99 cents/lb I'm good with it :D

My grocer has them both in 1 lb bags and loose in the shipping box, which clearly says Hatch on it, so I'm not concerned about fakes. They tend to range in size from 4 -5" to up to 7 - 8" in length, all are similar in size in width - 1" at the stem. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Pearson said:

This may sound like a really dumb question, but what do you do with the Chili's after you roast them? Freeze them,eat them, put them in casseroles? As you can see I don't know too much about food.

Bruce, I put them up in FoodSaver bags in the freezer - both raw and roasted. I'm not a big bell pepper fan, especially green ones (give me heartburn), so I sub these for them in recipes. Also a big component in make both "white chili" and green enchilada sauce. Excellent in heuvos rancheros, too.

@MacKenzie - it takes one of those big tanks, as these industrial chile roasters are like flame throwers, with 4 to 6 burners blasting away. 

• Like 1

After roasting..... you skin them ,chop up and put in freezer bags for later use.

Used to make Green Chile Stew ( Northern New Mexican Cooking) .... Green Chile burgers( Chile on top )....

Can also put on Steaks.  Pink Adobe Restaurant in Santa Fe ( Dunnigan Steak )  other sauces and what not.

Google Hatch Green Chile .......... many recipes...... You can also buy in cans all year round..

Just love the smell of Roasting Chile.. Means Fall is close at Hand

Steve...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ckreef said:

You all are making me want to try this. 

Doesn't necessarily have to be Hatch Chiles. Regular old Poblanos work great, too and are more readily available year round. When you take them off the grill, toss them into a paper bag and roll down the top and let them steam for a few minutes. Skins practically fall off at that point. 

Like the basket. Homemade?  I seem to recall while on vacation in Vail last year the basket was flying around pretty quickly at a local fair. Your basket will certainly do the trick, may take a bit longer but it's really not about how long it takes but how you got there

Oh yeah... We buy 60-90 pounds every year!  A local market uses pizza ovens to roast them evenly.  We remove stems, pre-freeze, then vacuum seal it in portions.  We don’t remove peels as it’s easier to do after steaming them 8n the bag slightly.  Also, it saves a ton of time during the process.  We have 3 Foodsavers... 2 of them only come out during Chile season.  That’s an awesome basket, it’s really cool roasting it yourself!  We’ve thought about it, but we buy so much it’d be way too much work.  We typically mix 1/3 extra hot and 2/3 hot.  The bottom basket is full of Chile too.

632C44E2-A89D-4F2C-AABF-F89FC86897BD.thumb.jpeg.989e27afe36fd423b82b2ea7c313634f.jpeg05ADE894-B21F-496C-992C-13A23C264972.thumb.jpeg.cb384406402a0add74c4332266f4f039.jpeg827360A5-4248-4364-8751-2FCDC9A55F6A.thumb.jpeg.7fa1f4b76f7ecfd102484ebc918390d3.jpeg

Edited by Wingman505
  • Like 4