djami

Winter-time KK Cooking

Denis,

Just wondering ... is it safe to do regular KK cooks in the sub-freezing winter time?  An extreme may be KK getting up to 500* or so when it is 25*F outside.  I am worried about cracking some of the ceramic and other components.  What say ye?   I trust you will say not to knock off the ice on the KK and then cook.

djami - Virginia

I live in Iowa and we get pretty damn cold here in the middle of winter, but I still cook. My only temperature cutoff is not because of the KK, but because of ME! When the windchill hits negative numbers, I don't cook outside. I've cooked during snowstorms, as long as the temps stay above zero, I'm good. 

• Like 1

First off, keep it covered. That seems to be the most detrimental for the grout/tiles. Moisture gets behind or under the tiles and the freezes. Not good. 

As for cooking in the cold, I've cooked in -20F last year. No problem. I had an icicle   forming from the condensation coming out of my bottom vent. Lol.  In the winter I look most forward to using my KK. Nothing better than firing up the KK for an overnight cook during a wicked snow storm. Note, I do have my KK under a covered porch. 

Edited by Cheesehead_Griller

Everybody -- thanks for your comments.  Will do -- will keep 'er covered when not using.  I have one of Dennis' fantastic covers.  It is a few years old and still looks new.  For beau coup years I have cooked during cold weather and the snow using an aluminum or steel grill.  Was worrying about the extreme winter temperature changes when cooking and its affect on the KK ceramic and tiles.  Y'all convinced me to fire up the KK year-round.

djami

I luuuuuv the smell of BBQ in the morning ...

• Like 1

On 10/19/2023 at 1:55 AM, Cheesehead_Griller said:

First off, keep it covered. That seems to be the most detrimental for the grout/tiles. Moisture gets behind or under the tiles and the freezes. Not good. 

As for cooking in the cold, I've cooked in -20F last year. No problem. I had an icicle   forming from the condensation coming out of my bottom vent. Lol.  In the winter I look most forward to using my KK. Nothing better than firing up the KK for an overnight cook during a wicked snow storm. Note, I do have my KK under a covered porch. 

I live in Melbourne, where the weather is generally mild, and it never freezes. As such I've chosen to keep my KK uncovered... the tiles and grout look as fresh as they did 2.5 years ago. My outdoor area, and our pool also have tiles and grout after all.

My issue with BBQ covers is that they inevitably get dusty, and also potentially full of spider webs etc. Given their large and floppy nature, they are not always so straight forward to wipe clean- and with the folds/ creases that form, rain often doesn't wash the cover clean completely. My KK gets a bit dusty if it hasn't rained for a bit, but then is sparkling clean after a good downpour! Also- our KK sits right outside our kitchen window, and I prefer looking at the KK than a cover!

I also wonder whether the few issues that people occasionally have with mould in their KK could be influenced by putting a cover over the KK, which I presume would limit airflow through the open vents to some degree? 

Edited by remi

I’m in Michigan and use mine often in winter. If the pictures Dennis added didn’t give you all of the confidence you wanted, I’ve used it sub zero a couple of times because we have a Christmas ribs tradition. Usually something similar for Super Bowl, and last year I actually did pizzas for Super Bowl when it was below freezing. I haven’t ever had any issues. Takes longer to get to temp of course, but same stability as always once there.

I’ve also never brought in my thermometer…so far it hasn’t required a change. But now that I’ve put that on the forum, no doubt this will be the year .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1