ckreef

Reef's Bistro Deep Dish

Anybody doing pizza this Friday? Reef's Bistro is.

Strayed a bit and made a Reef's Bistro Deep Dish. This is NOT a minimalist pizza. On the contrary I load it down until it's a sloppy, fork and knife only pizza.

Started out with 10" pan, dough, two layers of sliced mozzarella and a thick meat layer. (usually Italian sausage but tonight it was Italian seasoned ground chuck.)

4dcd2645bbf5a7b0f09b10e639eaaf7b.jpg

Added a full 14 oz of Classico Pizza Sauce and a generous sprinkling of KA Pizza Seasoning.

25074b361701b76b2e92e3dae7efaff5.jpg

Baked in Cassiopeia at 400* for 15 minutes then pulled.

675eb715260c1785bd2080a2d911c54b.jpg

Added additional toppings (parmesan, Mozzarella, diced ham, and pepperoni).

61c19a395ce2dc364f9fb866b75d3a08.jpg

Put it back in Cassiopeia for an additional 20 minutes.

f51d9c5fc473af305a328632fd72b261.jpg

Pulled and let it rest for 7 minutes before cutting.

6cae8db911ce3a03b562c0006c0a6078.jpg

Yup serious fork and knife delicious slop - LOL. Not my best attempt but it was good.

318c14068fa280c4c37069bc9100db72.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

If I had a pick.. This is my favorite pizza style... So it was droolicous.. We had hamburger on it cause our son don't like sausage.. But I perfer sausage better.. But even with hamburger, it still was the bomb of meat lover pie.

Mrs. Reef's Bistro

• Like 1

what size pan is that and the depth as well.  I am going to order one

Also just curious as to your dough recipe for deep dish.  You mention on the guru but I can't seem to find it.

I need to start looking into making my own pizza sauce

It's a 10" x 1 1/2" cheapie cake pan from Walmart. No need to buy a high priced deep dish pan.

The dough recipe is the 3rd post of this thread.

http://www.komodokamadoforum.com/index.php?/topic/5361-Reef's-Pizza-Dough-Recipes

The dough does need 2 hours rise time in a warm environment. I have a spare bedroom that is cutoff from the house ac. Without that turn on your oven to the lowest setting for 10 minutes. Turn it off then do the rise in there.

I won a set of KK grate grabbers using this recipe - TY once again to Bryan and everyone who voted for it.

ckreef do you find the 1.5" depth is enough?  I have seen 2" but that may be over kill.

I found a 14" diameter pan with 1.5" depth Chicago metallic pan for 20.00.  Think I will order that one

Over stuffing it like I did, 2" would have been nicer but 1.5" worked. Nothing leaked out.

Well done, Charles!

How do you prep the pan so you can get it out like that? I was thinking spring form pan (for cheesecake) would work well. I have one and haven't make cheesecake in years, so I wouldn't worry if it got smoked up on the KK. Spray it with some olive oil and off to the races!

Well done, Charles!

How do you prep the pan so you can get it out like that?

Absolutely nothing. It's a non stick pan coupled with a high oil content dough. After I pull it I let it cool for 5-10 minutes. I then carefully work a plastic pie server/knife under it and all around. After that a little tilt of the pan while coaking it out with the pie knife.

Well this thread ha set me off.  That and my wife surprising me with deep dish the other night.  Then I read this and I was hooked.   

Ordered a 14" pizza pan with 1.5" depth and started thinking it was too big and not deep enough.  Not sure if I will return it or not yet.  

Today I picked up a 2" deep 9" cake pan.  Out pizza the other night was only a 9" and we had lots of leftovers.  I think this pan will be perfect.  

Then I found a really informative website called the reel deep dish .com.   Found bakers percentages for Chicago thin crust and deep dish.  Also learned about the difference between deep dish and stuffed crust.  

So like most things I do.... I dive in deep.  

My sauce is pretty well where I want it so now I will start working on making the best Chicago pie.  

I love these forums but dam.... They cost me money and hours of countless research 

• Like 2