tekobo

Funky Old Cow

I guess I missed this the first time around. It all looks good to me and sounds tasty. 

As for firing up two KK's - it takes about the same amount of time as firing up one and usually makes cooking two different items easier. I fire up two KK's all the time. I even fire up 2 KK's and my Akorn Jr all together from time to time. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ckreef said:

As for firing up two KK's - it takes about the same amount of time as firing up one and usually makes cooking two different items easier. I fire up two KK's all the time. I even fire up 2 KK's and my Akorn Jr all together from time to time. 

If one has the option, I agree that firing up 2 KK's is definitely the way to go.  For the Sunday cook I finished off the brisket in the 23" and started the ribs on their way in the 21".  Texan friend arrived early to help with sides and when we needed to blacken some green pepper for the succotash I was able to up the temperature in the KK vacated by the brisket and do the blackening direct on the coals.  I then throttled the fire until shortly before I put the cow chops on.  All sooo convenient and reduced competition and chaos in the IDK.  I must say, her cornbread jalapeno muffins are to die for.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tekobo said:

Yet more funky cow in my life.  A week ago two briskets (aged 5 weeks)

Screwed up the cook by making a change.  I normally cook to 88C internal temp.  When this little baby looked like it was going to cook far too quickly, I throttled the fire AND decided to go up to the 95C internal recommended for "smoking" brisket.  Big mistake.  It looked more like a piece of leather at the end than a juicy brisket.

[...]

The brisket didn't turn out too bad either.  They all liked it but I know the next one will be so much better.   

Huh. Very curious about the brisket.

I've been in the long slow cook school for brisket, but I'm very picky as to which briskets to cook this way. I look for true marbling of fat and other solubles. I've always imagined that the leaner brisket benefits more from the quicker, hotter cooks.

The Golden Gate Meat Company sells fantastic briskets from the Ferry Building in San Francisco, and by prearrangement they'll dry age for me. I've tried eight days and four days. Everyone loved eight days but I thought it came out too soft, almost eat-with-a-spoon. Four days was better, but I've been skipping the dry aging since. The jury is still out for me, here.

It may be funky cow is the ideal source for some cuts but not brisket. I remember when beef cheeks were all the rage in NYC bistros. My attempt here was dismal. Laurie blamed the too-hip-for-words sourcing, said the cow had smiled too much.

• Like 2

Looked real pleasing Tekebo and I'm sure your guests thought as well. The two main ingredients when cooking a brisket are patience and time, deviating from the game plan is a roll of the dice. Then again sometime change is good, glad it all worked out.  I also sometime have 2 or 3 cookers running at once but lately I've made sure to have a pencil and paper handy with time and temp on each especially if I'm having a few.  And for some unexplainable turn in events it all works out in the end. 

• Like 1

Thanks all.  I think I am less worried about the brisket than you are.  I made a fundamental mistake in changing the target internal temperature and can easily revert to my normal target next time.  The real insight for me is in, finally, understanding that the briskets that I buy here are much smaller than the ones that you use in the US. I only buy beef from three sources and they all use particular rare breeds that don't get all that big.  So I need less lead time in future so that I am not trying to hold the brisket for up to six hours before people are actually ready to eat it!

The fun thing about my meat suppliers is that we are friends now and we have a two way conversation.  The funky cow guy got in touch to say he thought 5 weeks aging on the brisket was about right but did I want him to go further? I said no, we would go with where he had got to and see what it tasted like.  Unfortunately my mess up with temps means that the only useful feedback I have been able to give him so far is that the dairy cow may be too small for a brisket cook.   The good news is that he is an aggregator for a number of local farms and so will tell me if he thinks there is a different breed I should try.  And so it goes.  Did I tell you I am obsessed with food?

I went on a similar journey with my Longhorn beef supplier and he has settled on 75 day aging as his standard "premium" product.  No problems with the taste or texture of his brisket and I am surprised that you saw such a marked difference between eight day and four day aging @Syzygies.  It may be that that is where some significant change happens in that time window but it is much shorter aging than any beef I buy here.

• Like 3

So, I have been waiting for some months now for some more funky old cow.  I finally got a message last week, offering me some strip loins and a rump on the bone.  I replied, yes, yes please!  Feeling a little overwhelmed now that it has all arrived.  27kg of sirloin steak and a whole rump. What can I say?  Wow.

usAUAKnYRICyTkUqjipXiA.thumb.jpg.fad8f6aa537d0505d73f5558bc97486f.jpg

142254402_vHqo3UBSZO2OJvwY57kA.thumb.jpg.f94af88b01d166bea0a5687897f74815.jpg1235038394_qRGy05S3KrZVjHU9JKg.thumb.jpg.158d1968fbde9e1ee6a10248292d44bf.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My normal guy at the meat place isn't working much at the moment.  He usually protects me from myself and curbs my worst excesses.  His colleague doesn't know to do that.  Next time I will know to ask him "how much?" so I know what weight of meat is being offered and what it is going to cost.  Instead I have just looked at the invoice and am saying "how much????"  :shock:

We will have some tonight and I am sure it will be so fabulous that I will forget the bill...

• Haha 2