Jlipp79

Charcoal

I use Rockwood lump and Fogo. Rockwood quality has been a bit uneven -- had three bags from the same order recently that had all small pieces. Other bags have been great. Fogo is consistently large chunks, but usually too large -- like pouring a tree from the bag. 

I stopped using Fogo because the pieces were too large and it's a bitch to light, even with a Mapp torch. My fav is super hard to get after their main processing facility burned down (ironic!) - Wicked Good Charcoal's Weekend Warrior. Rockwood is good and is my "normal" charcoal now. Jealous Devil is pretty good stuff, too. It's made from South American hardwoods, so it's a different smell than oak or hickory woods. Blues Hog, yes - the BBQ sauce folks, have started selling their own brand of charcoal. I tried a bag. It's good, but nothing special.

@Jlipp79 - if you didn't know about this resource, Naked Whiz's charcoal database is a good source for judging the different charcoals. 

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

Friends don't let friends equate Fogo with their house brand bags, then believe reviews that Rockwood is better. Fogo carries many charcoals, all with a cleaner flavor than Rockwood or Lazzari. In ascending order:

• Lazzari Hardwood Lump - meh, and half the bag is useless crumbs
  • Rockwood - better, inferior to any Fogo charcoal, "dirtier" taste
  • Fogo Cuban Marabu - hint of swimming pool but cleaner taste than Rockwood
  • Fogo Super Premium - a favorite, large lumps don't bother me
  • Fogo Argentinian Quebracho - my favorite Fogo
  • Komodo Kamado Coffee Lump - best lump ever, not available

The KK coffee convinced me that charcoal could be transcendent, worth any price, life is too short to compromise. Then I couldn't get more. Fogo is the only supplier that can approximate the same thrill for me. Get a basket splitter, to conserve on fuel, the splitter will pay for itself.

Grilled fish with Moroccan red charmoula is spectacular over good charcoal.

I order Fogo charcoal directly from Fogo. Free shipping, and it comes quickly.

Edited by Syzygies
  • Like 2

A level 6 Charcoal Sommelier , I am not.  The local store only carries Cowboy, Rockwood and Royal Oak. and to purchase the other listed brands on Amazon appear high in price as compared to these. Taste is subjective in whiskey, food and yes, charcoal. For the last 4 years or so I've been running 40lb bags of Humphrey's lump at no cost to me. The well is running dry and I find myself looking for a good alternative as you without the second mortgage. Check out addonkitchen. com and type into the search bar, best lump charcoal...it may help.  You may even consider a blend of  charcoals as your signature...whatever you do the choices are immense once you begin but the over riding concern is, what are you willing to pay for a bag of coal

Edited by Tyrus

7 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

I just located a store about 100 miles from me that says they carry the Argentinian Quebracho, according to their website. I am reaching out to them to see if they actually have and what is the cost. I'd like to try this. :)

Thanks, Syzygies. :) 

The Argentinian Quebracho lump is the second hardest lump Fogo sells with Marabu being just slightly harder. I only mention this for lighting purposes because I know Marabu can be a bear to light by itself. 

39 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

I heard back and they only carry Fogo Super Premium. Maybe I can talk them into the Quebracho. :) 

The Super Premium is awesome lump but you'll end up with some really LG pieces. Might have to break a few of them up with a hammer especially in the 19". Black Bag is the same lump as Super Premium just smaller pieces. 

I’ve just finished my third cook with FOGO premium and I’m shocked at the amount of ash that isn’t there! Literally there is just a dust pan of ash after three full 1/2 baskets in my 32”

It is head and shoulders way better than everything else I’ve tried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 2/2/2019 at 7:52 AM, Syzygies said:

Friends don't let friends equate Fogo with their house brand bags, then believe reviews that Rockwood is better. Fogo carries many charcoals, all with a cleaner flavor than Rockwood or Lazzari. In ascending order:

• Lazzari Hardwood Lump - meh, and half the bag is useless crumbs
  • Rockwood - better, inferior to any Fogo charcoal, "dirtier" taste
  • Fogo Cuban Marabu - hint of swimming pool but cleaner taste than Rockwood
  • Fogo Super Premium - a favorite, large lumps don't bother me
  • Fogo Argentinian Quebracho - my favorite Fogo
  • Komodo Kamado Coffee Lump - best lump ever, not available

The KK coffee convinced me that charcoal could be transcendent, worth any price, life is too short to compromise. Then I couldn't get more. Fogo is the only supplier that can approximate the same thrill for me. Get a basket splitter, to conserve on fuel, the splitter will pay for itself.

Grilled fish with Moroccan red charmoula is spectacular over good charcoal.

I order Fogo charcoal directly from Fogo. Free shipping, and it comes quickly.

When you get the charcoal shipped, does it get banged up and turned into smalls?