Troble

Wagyu Beef?

After 15 hours I pulled the brisket and wrapped it in butcher paper. Had some challenges cooking it as yesterday I did pizza for lunch at 500 at around noon, then did chicken schwarma at 5pm at 350 which took about 3 hours. Shut the KK down at 8pm but it took awhile to get the temp down. 

finally at 9pm (KK still at 350) I pulled out my double bottom drip pan and the top grate to let them cool 

at 10pm I put foil on the double bottom drip pan and put that and the top grate back in. KK temp was now 250, so I put the brisket on and opened the vents& damper to my normal 225 position 

woke up at 2:30 when and checked on brisket, KK was around 205, added coco char and relit some pieces, added mesquite wood, got it up to 240 by 3am then we got a random thunderstorm with big rain droplets. That lasted about an hour. Finally got it stabilized at 250 around 4:30am. Had at 250 from 4:30am to 1:30pm, spraying with apple juice every 30 minutes. Internal temp is 175 and just wrapped in butcher paper 

CD6393C0-AE1D-4067-9746-D2E38AF7F1A2.jpeg

E341C602-5A6C-4ED9-B94D-6D0CBCFE3357.jpeg

• Like 7

this A5 saga (similar to kobe, but from a different prefecture) boneless short rib was the last piece of waygu i made. cooked reverse sear on a weber go anywhere.  i think this is good to eat once in a while, but my wife and i prefer chewy gamey old beef cows rubia gallegas. or hanwoo beef from korea. anything with a strong bovine taste really..

i just ordered a chunk of zabuton waygu arriving tomorrow. gonna be slicing steaks and small pieces for yakiniku.

image.thumb.png.f2fb0f1f83cadc75f6a621b7cd2c4ea6.png

image.thumb.png.ae7a35a5a302a2a6f79f90e55179a31e.png

• Like 7

We’ve branched out from SRF.  Here is a Wagyu ribeye from The Meatery in San Diego, with certificate of authenticity.  Holy Grail Steak has also been a good source.  There is a lot to learn about marbling rating scales,  and the differences between Japanese, Australian, and American Wagyu.

F1D09A26-2DFB-47DB-B915-6E7DE031D4DA.thumb.jpeg.de913324be1159d48dd6e7f83f363c0a.jpeg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, braindoc said:

We’ve branched out from SRF.  Here is a Wagyu ribeye from The Meatery in San Diego, with certificate of authenticity.  Holy Grail Steak has also been a good source.  There is a lot to learn about marbling rating scales,  and the differences between Japanese, Australian, and American Wagyu.

i don't think anyone offers certificates of authenticity for waygu in hk. you just take their word for it when buying in a shop like sogo (japanese department store chain). you pretty much trust what they say. or if i buy online, i just get a label in kanji. maybe they should label meat with qr codes and serial numbers, like they do with hairy crab from yangcheng lake..

image.png

image.png

• Like 2