DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

loaves.thumb.jpeg.832ed186d3aca36b4fb9e6786211bc80.jpeg

crumb.thumb.jpeg.2c4003bad0247f9d8c30ddc7927fb285.jpeg

eggplant.thumb.jpeg.cd1160a27584cd27a174410f9a511ca7.jpeg

Tonight's after-party is eggplant, roasted for Zaalouk.

This bread is 80% home ground flour. That's pushing the limits even for the forgiving Moroccan form factor. However, we like the way it tastes, so I need to step up my game so I'm also happy at a technical level.

It's funny, at my pottery studio as an unapologetic beginner, I'm keenly aware of how "showing masterful technique" trumps other reasonable design considerations, distorting this art form for the worse. Yet I'm vulnerable to the same error, making bread. We love how this tastes, even if it's a partial technical fail.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Pequod said:

I love homemade stock and used to do it all the time, but stopped because the all day simmer method is...time consuming. This is where the Instant Pot has come to the rescue. Same ingredients, but one hour under pressure and I’m back in the stock game! Great use for roti chicken carcasses. 

Cool.  I don't have an instant pot but my vac packer comes to the rescue.  Chicken carcasses get squeezed down to very little in a vac pack bag.  We store them in the freezer until we have a good number.  The all day simmering method isn't such a big deal when you are making a lot of stock in one go.  Horses for courses...

11 hours ago, Pequod said:

Chicken skewers marinated in lemon, ginger, garlic, and baharat. 

IMG_20180715_170431.thumb.jpg.966d3ac7dd08cfb98915724ef2a0fa7e.jpg

Where can i get one off those cooking trays from. Also Pequod when your grilling like that, you keep lid closed in-between checks.....is that right :smt028

Also intrigued with the grilled lemon, how is it used and the flavour.....sorry bout all the Q's but i like trying new ideas

Edited by BonFire

57 minutes ago, BonFire said:

Where can i get one off those cooking trays from. Also Pequod when your grilling like that, you keep lid closed in-between checks.....is that right :smt028

Also intrigued with the grilled lemon, how is it used and the flavour.....sorry bout all the Q's but i like trying new ideas

The tray is a Weber Grill Pan. Had mine for years  it’s a great accessory: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Weber-Deluxe-Grilling-Pan/1000352763

Yes on lid closed between checks. Although, when working on the sear grate like that, it’s a very quick cook, so I’m wearing high heat gloves and moving things around quite a bit.

Grilled lemon adds a smoky flavor and also softens them so they are more squeezable, producing more juice. As a bonus, they look cool! ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tekobo said:

Cool.  I don't have an instant pot but my vac packer comes to the rescue.  Chicken carcasses get squeezed down to very little in a vac pack bag.  We store them in the freezer until we have a good number.  The all day simmering method isn't such a big deal when you are making a lot of stock in one go.  Horses for courses...

Used to do that too. And as long as you don’t mind storing them it works. We tend to suffer from freezer overload. Not quite sure what’s going on in there. <_<

For me, the instant pot means I’ll make stock after every chook, making smaller amounts at a time, because it’s just that easy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry bout lack of finished pics, but got side-tracked with visitors.
Decided to do Syzyies Spanish potatoe dish to go with 2 roti chickens....brined for 1 day and cooked at 300F for around 2hours, wood used was plum and sandalwood (fist size of each), all meat was juicy and tender but skin needed to be a bit more crispy for my liking.IMG_0966.thumb.JPG.0d0d5b3e7b6b45748fd69370574418a5.JPG
Was really impressed with doing the Spanish dish in the Cazuela for the 1st time,...the Cazuela really is an extension to using a cooker such as the KKIMG_0967.thumb.JPG.5de0ae9b6a834cbf53d1176a1fba846f.JPG
Every 45mins the dish came out for a toss until tender, which in this case was the same time the chooks were ready, its a side or a dish that has made my little black book.IMG_0968.thumb.JPG.385ff5186833ac270dfbb502e7c188ca.JPG
I think need to use the full basket next time
Nicely done mate

Outback kamado Bar and Grill

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 5:15 PM, Pequod said:

Huge hunk o' fish and some green stuff. 

IMG_20180509_170927_070.thumb.jpg.dd25103086e9b06d8c5f151cfe59add8.jpg

Got to ask if you quick boil and then dip in ice bath the asparagus prior to grilling. The reason being is that I once was on a cruise and asked the chef how his asparagus came out so tender, freshly green and without the chewy ends. He explained the prep as two steps and it's been tender asparagus since. That said, it would only enhance the flavor upon grilling

53 minutes ago, Tyrus said:

Got to ask if you quick boil and then dip in ice bath the asparagus prior to grilling. The reason being is that I once was on a cruise and asked the chef how his asparagus came out so tender, freshly green and without the chewy ends. He explained the prep as two steps and it's been tender asparagus since. That said, it would only enhance the flavor upon grilling

Nope. Olive oil, season, and on the grill. 

We are having the best summer ever here.  I learned about square foot gardening from @MacKenzie just before I took over a new plot at our allotment.  It has been great.  The best bit is succession planting so you have just the amount you want rather than a massive glut.   The only problem is that the summer squashes didn't get the memo.  We have a LOT of squash at the moment.  Here is a grill full of home grown produce:

1441660620_pWqigHu1ToeXlFG3zBjew.thumb.jpg.18823e3ad9a7bbc3b9566410dd90eecf.jpg\

The revelation of the evening was the peas in their purple pods on the top left.  Pick them up and chew/suck the peas out of the pods like edamame peas.  Delicious!

Kept the veg warm while I cooked the marinaded octopus.  My mother had never heard of people eating octopus.  She asked if I was really talking about the things with eight legs.  I was. 

8pGKJAL4RRisNiKvj1KCJg.thumb.jpg.e729aec49f22c26b6e8e8d19b871531a.jpg

And here they are plated.  Had another.  And another.

t3wzl6YtSJqJFHAQxwrzqg.thumb.jpg.3e609ac7d5f86ab196b240185195ea81.jpg

• Like 6