DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

1 hour ago, MacKenzie said:

What a beautiful grind. :) 

5-spareribs-racked.thumb.jpg.3b7faad208618b56d7f9e496251322b3.jpg

Sieve, regrind what doesn't pass through the sieve. My usual technique also for spices. For example, freshly ground turmeric can be sourced from multiple varieties of turmeric (Kalustyan's has whole Alleppy turmeric from Kerela, in addition to the usual turmeric, and Aleppo, Maras, and Urfa peppers), and tastes much better than preground (even grinding a month at a time, for multiple Indian and Moroccan meals). I bash whole turmeric into smallish pieces in a mortar, grind, sieve, grind, ...

No picture, but I put my two quart Dutch oven smoke pot on top of my Solo Stove Campfire (still on sale a few more hours), to preheat it and get some initial lump charcoal embers to go underneath in a cradle of coco extruded lump. I was going to take a picture, but I saw the smoke pot off-gassing a small, beautiful flame, so I knew it was ready.

For anyone who thinks I was already crazy to use flour paste to seal my smoke pot lid, I'm sorry to introduce the complication of preheating the Dutch oven. It however worked amazingly well. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to make the best food I can; the flour paste is a chance to meditate on the childhood reasons why I once feared complexity in cooking. And a chance to wonder why I never tried a stainless steel Klean Kanteen instead. They make an optional stainless cap; one would need to remove the silicon seal. I'd drill 1/8" holes as usual, along the side that faces down to burn off-gassing, and three or more in case one is unfortunately blocked by shifting wood. One doesn't want to create a bomb; the Dutch oven has the advantage that in the worst case it will simply blow it's lid. Huh. Meditation over, maybe I'll stick to Dutch ovens. They do hold more.

Edited by Syzygies
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Syzygies, "For anyone who thinks I was already crazy to use flour paste to seal my smoke pot lid, I'm sorry to introduce the complication of preheating the Dutch oven. It however worked amazingly well." I just bet it did and now it's the cat's meow.:) That was just the tip I needed. Thanks.

:smt060:smt060

Same here - heat wave is supposed to break tomorrow! 

About a third of the folks at this party were from my homebrewing club, including the host, so yeah, lots of tasty beers! I took a nap when I got home - LOL!! 

Edited by tony b
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Steve M said:

Hope everybody has been doing ok, I've missed my kk friends.

I smoked some St. Louis cut ribs from Costco yesterday. Turned out great.

@Steve M I like your ribs but, weirdly for 6:52am on a weekday morning, I am even more attracted to the cold beer that you have as your profile picture.  I will blame it on the heatwave that we are having in the UK rather than my latent alchoholism.  Looking forward to a cold cider later.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, tekobo said:

@Steve M I like your ribs but, weirdly for 6:52am on a weekday morning, I am even more attracted to the cold beer that you have as your profile picture.  I will blame it on the heatwave that we are having in the UK rather than my latent alchoholism.  Looking forward to a cold cider later.  

I understand, I am often distracted by it as well. Cheers!

• Like 1

I made Syzygies' Spanish Onion and Potato Casserole today, just didn't have the Marash Pepper but did add some heat. Served with previously grilled chicken and first batch of spinach for the season.

I loved the casserole and will be doing it again and again. The spinach leaves were huge although they don't look like it in the pix. They were the size of my hand and I was a little concerned that they might be tough. I steamed the spinach and it was lovely.

1447843737_SpanishCasserole.thumb.jpg.c08acffb111fd09e24b7f1c457e083fa.jpg

Spinach.thumb.jpg.fcfd4d1aae25fdfd5066c483ff0dfba3.jpg

Plated.

1827363323_ChickenandSpanishCasseole.thumb.jpg.ff06c661957999d8f29caec44de6f051.jpg

• Like 6

Tonight we made seared ahi tuna steaks covered in sesame seeds and purple crack with grilled asparagus and red onions in balsamic vinegar. I have made a version of this recipe for the last 15 years but it’s my 1st time making it on my KK, my wife said “hands down the best one yet!”A42A1652-2206-4F75-ACA2-5DD8B43C40B1.thumb.jpeg.6dea8defbf2377e6a80bd536bd37082b.jpeg398909D4-DEA1-4E77-AE93-0F9D85F2DEB1.thumb.jpeg.1a63c0d5167394ad052a8de3ba6fe580.jpegC8490F12-E39C-4DE5-A93C-490688DAC079.thumb.jpeg.3ff17b7de57857923ba3b2b1c1e66ca5.jpeg42B725D6-A25D-4730-B9E0-7FF1124EEFAC.thumb.jpeg.2937609d5b335083fa1ec8c51c69ac13.jpeg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Chanly1983 said:

Tonight we made seared ahi tuna steaks covered in sesame seeds and purple crack with grilled asparagus and red onions in balsamic vinegar. I have made a version of this recipe for the last 15 years but it’s my 1st time making it on my KK, my wife said “hands down the best one yet!”

Great plate shot; it all looks incredible.