DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Cold room! How many lambs do have in there? Lol

Bruce I have about 50lb remaining across various cuts, vac sealed and a further 20lb in the freezer.

15 more lambs coming in this Friday to be distributed to other friends.

They weigh around 60lb each lamb.

Tyrus thanks for the suggestion. I’ll look up some balsamic lamb recipes and give it a go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice cook on the lamb Basher and Lamb is one of my favorites to cook. Did you ever marinate your lamb in Balsamic vinegar for say for maybe a day ( just a cheap brand will do ) and cook it up. Makes great sandwiches. It changes the complexion of the meat and gives it a nice tang, only saying because you have a ton of it.  Since I first posted prior , I was bitten by the basher bug and had to run to the market for some lamb and this is what was available. In a bag with the Balsamic (the cheap stuff) with one Pablamo, an aged Habernero half strength, 5 cloves chopped garlic, 1 bay leaf and a dousing of herbs de provence. Out to the rear deck to marinate. You see in New England the back deck in winter is fashionably referred to as the frig. Will pop this on the KK tomorrow to rotisserize. DSCF2855.thumb.JPG.2ae802b6ba7a80b0528459bc4fe6faff.JPG

DSCF2856.thumb.JPG.ca23222c5ec917a49f86e45ca8b874e3.JPG

Tyrus I’m inspired. How did your cook turn out?

Too late, just coated a leg in dried garlic, chilli, cumin, ground pepper, purple crack, ground mustard seeds and peppercorns. All small proportions cos it’s now bagged and marinating in balsamic vinegar and molasses and a stack of chopped basil( cos my garden needed trimming).

Plan is to pull it out Thursday, 24 hours air drying in the fridge, then spit roast Friday.

I’ll have a yard full of workers for the new ODK and also friends dropping by to pick up their lambs..... a little taste test before they go home.

Q1: How deep will the vinegar penetrate?

Q2: Will the vinegar dry out the lamb surface air drying in the cold room and further crisp up the crust?

42655519e00a023919c3dd8075f30d1f.jpg

Oh, and pequod, those ribs look amazing, like lollipops.

And Mac, it’d be good to see that cold room operating through summer

• Like 1

Well, the meat came out as expected but it's been at least 30 years since I did this prep at my old house. I let this one soak over nite and the results were way shy of what I expected but if memory serves me right it was a two day soak with a whole bottle of the Balsamic to get that tangy meat. Q1. Leaving the meat in longer is an experiment, the longer  the better for penetration, don't be shy. Q2. The balsamic has a sugar content and will darken the meat on the outside however, the inside is yours for temp, this cook should be at medium or better. So again let it soak, turn it, and let the marinade do it's thing. You may fork it for quicker penetration, I'm still holding to the longer the better although that's up to the indivigual.

DSCF2858.JPG

DSCF2860.JPG

DSCF2861.JPG

DSCF2862.JPG

• Like 8

1 hour ago, tony b said:

You could always inject it with the Balsamic marinade to get better penetration and shorten up the marinating time.

That is true Toney and a good suggestion as we sit here today. The only practical experience I have is a slow soak, it is a vinegar, and I don't know the correlation of the direct vs injection. I'm willing to try but unsure of the results. Trouble is I've never written things down and this one bit me in the butt as far as expectations were in concerned. Tomorrows another day

• Like 2

On 3/1/2020 at 12:25 AM, Pequod said:

Blasphemy ribs! Baby backs cut into individual bones BEFORE they’re rubbed and smoked. More bark per bite!

DB1D104C-6116-4F8B-B2C9-99619E0ACE6B.thumb.jpeg.c11c33feabdec0ced9e54fac15924c14.jpeg

Lead me not into temptation.  Baby back ribs with suya chicken thighs on the side.

D10D19A3-30C0-49A3-B625-9B57CBE3D467_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.4d5b340faf755d8cb4489389452bbcdf.jpeg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Bruce Pearson said:

What Tyrus said all those meals look sooo delicious! Tyrus what kind of meat is that? And did you use straight balsamic vinegar? I love balsamic vinegar and would like to try that cook. 

Lamb leg bone out. Comes easily wrapped in a burn proof net. The next time I do it I think it will stay in the frig for 2+days or inject it like Toney mentioned. Anyhow it's a rotisserie made meat, just stick it on the forks and let it roll, pull it at 145-50 if you like it pink, wrap in foil to rest.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tyrus this leg has now been marinating in balsamic and a few other herbs and spices for 5 days.

8e8819dfa7f9e7e58b5bd6b7a938e05b.jpg

I don’t think there is any problem with the absorption rate.

I’ve popped the vac sealed bag and will let it fridge dry overnight, planning to spit roast it tomorrow.

Apart from the balsamic smell when I opened the bag, the strongest scent coming through was the basil, a little molasses, cumin and garlic was mild... it smells delish. The basil has a light, fresh fragrance.

I think I’ll reduce the bag juices with a little brown sugar for a baste tomorrow.

bd907e154e9da6789975777dae0f9cb4.jpg

• Like 6

Glad you tried it Basher. I believe mine was in the bag in the frig 14-16 hours and I just didn't wait,.. for moi patience is a virtue misdirected at birth. Let's see, those complimentary spices sound good, I'm sure the spin will do it well. 

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 2

We're supposed to hit the mid-60s this weekend!! GRILLIN' TIME!!

So, I broke down and did the full-on French mashed potatoes - sous vide (192F for 90 mins) with lots of butter, then riced, and finally ran through a fine mesh screen. Paired with a nice Frenched pork chop and a side of elotes (Mexican corn).

141132462_FrenchedPorkChopandSpuds001.thumb.jpg.b1619c0d1af672ebc2340e2c227636ef.jpg

864680249_FrenchedPorkChopandSpuds002.thumb.jpg.088b77b9fbe4a96836feefa5b56b3200.jpg

Spuds were very smooth, but didn't quite hit the French Laundry standard. Needed a LOT more butter. I only used a 1/2 a stick for 3 med red potatoes! :laughing6:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2