DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Cooked a prime brisket and 4 pork shoulder butts in the KK42 this past weekend.  Rub on pork is just salt and course black pepper (after an ACV spritz).  Brisket is McCormick Montreal Steak seasoning.  This cook is for Christmas gifts. I like to give (and the family likes me to give) frozen BBQ on Christmas.  It's consumable, it's something they'll definitely use.  It's better than the BBQ people can get in most places they live.

This time, I did what I normally do when I cook pork. 

• Pull and bag in vac seal bags
  • put bags in ice water bath to cool it down fast.
  • 1 hr later after it's nice and cold, vac seal in chamber sealer and put them immediately in freezer. 

Pork BBQ tastes like it is right off the smoker when you warm up in sous vide and cut the bag open. I have been doing this for years but upped my game with the KK and the VacMaster VP215 that I bought in 2021.

For the beef I did a similar thing except I didn't slice in pencil width pieces, I sliced in larger pieces that would fit in the vac seal bags. This way hopefully since it's not already fully sliced, when it's warmed up and sliced it's still (hopefully) almost like it was fresh off the KK.  I have never had brisket turn out almost the same when warmed up, but I gave it the best chance possible.  This was one of the best briskets I've ever done (and definitely best one that has ever come out of my KK).  This is maybe the 5th or 6th I have done in 2 years on the KK.  

This picture is about halfway through the cook.  When it fits, I've been doing everything on the upper grate these days.  The results on this cook were amazing.  I will continue to use this same setup.  I use a Thermoworks Billows, temp 225.  I put the pit temp gauge on the main grate, food on top grate.  The cooks just keep getting better on the KK.  2 years - not sure how many cooks I have done for BBQ (probably 15-20), maybe 100 total cooks,  and it feels like the KK is just now broken in. Cheers! - hope everyone is having a good leadup to the holidays.

Oh one other note.  I love the 42, b/c look how much I can do just on one grate, and it was all absolutely perfect.  

butts_and_brisket.jpg

• Like 9

Received my KK on Tuesday of last week and decided to go all out for my first cook. Coming from a BGE there is definitely a learning curve but it is not too bad. Friday I did the burn in process. Saturday, smoked an 18# brisket, 2 pork butts, and a few slabs of ribs. The day of the party I grilled venison backstraps, chicken kabobs and lamb chops. There are a few things to figure out but I will say the decision between the 23 and the 32 is a no brainer. The extra space makes cooking so much more enjoyable. Everyone at the party was very impressed and can’t wait to try what I cook next. 

IMG_4536.jpeg

IMG_4549.jpeg

IMG_4565.jpeg

IMG_4572.jpeg

• Like 14

I forgot to take pics as I was cooking the duck but here are the results. We like serving duck on a board, it was a special occasion type of meal. We were celebrating my 30 years of sobriety reached the previous day. Unfortunately we didn’t feel much like celebrating as we lost one of my dogs the previous night. Isn’t Karma a bitch 😔

IMG_1112.jpeg

IMG_1110.jpeg

IMG_1109.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, C6Bill said:

I forgot to take pics as I was cooking the duck but here are the results. We like serving duck on a board, it was a special occasion type of meal. We were celebrating my 30 years of sobriety reached the previous day. Unfortunately we didn’t feel much like celebrating as we lost one of my dogs the previous night. Isn’t Karma a bitch 😔

IMG_1112.jpeg

IMG_1110.jpeg

IMG_1109.jpeg

Beautiful spread, and lovely bread as always. Congratulations on your milestone, and I'm very sorry to hear about your dog.

Remi

• Thanks 1

Just before Xmas I decided better to cure a pork belly before the temperatures turn really cold after Xmas. Cured 11.7pounds of belly and here it is just after smoking on the KK. Thanks goodness the KK holds nice and steady and I didn't have to go out and check on the Temperature.

12PoundsofSmokedBacon.thumb.jpg.7f80b47b6114d424d969ada807db723b.jpg

FlipSideofBacon.thumb.jpg.53f6f6018ccc75fcae330ebc0409e3d9.jpg

It is all nicely sliced, packaged, vacuum sealed and in the freezer now except for the one package I gave to friends for their Xmas morning breakfast.

SlicedBacon.thumb.jpg.853e70fdc7bcc37fc06f4294b800ba3a.jpg

• Like 8

A special night calls for a special cut of meat. 1.125kg 42 day dry aged bistecca fiorentina, low and slow until just under rare then seared in the 7th circle of hell. Also some lamb lollipops, chicken skewers and snags for the kids. We started out with yummy negronis.

Served with a ‘green papaya salad’ made with green apples. The contrast of spicy, funky and sweet with the rich steak is our favourite.

Happy new year!

0B62D148-892C-426D-AA61-F68484F164A6.jpeg

57F737D7-F83E-438F-98BB-9BAF0066C45B.jpeg

E325DCD6-9CE7-4134-B9B5-4B23583E8411.jpeg

5A79B0AB-26C1-4A85-9D0A-E3D80B710BBA.jpeg

9F92AAFF-C504-4971-AFBC-AC4899C12932.jpeg

5668A865-DAFA-49D2-A23D-9279E6D3562B.jpeg

2F82B9A4-CBCA-4928-AF2C-3B8E3FECE6A0.jpeg

BC938ECF-158C-4E04-86A1-3473377C224B.jpeg

7919F7DF-8AD3-4B09-A80C-8F22099C0944.jpeg

E13DB271-D558-4946-AB49-FE2824A01358.jpeg

• Like 8