DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Cooked Hispi cabbage on the grill grate and finished it off in La Chamba roasting pan, alongside some sous vide potatoes.  Seasoned the cabbage with some Mexican oregano, champagne vinegar and salt and pepper rub to cook it and then poured on some bagna cauda sauce to soak into the crevices in the cabbage towards the end of the cook.  Super delicious.  Sliced up like a nice piece of meat.  Served with a deep fried whole sea bass.  

IMG_9199.thumb.jpeg.9fbb7d0f6f34bb4491cebb6d3356bf09.jpeg

IMG_9201.thumb.jpeg.b34c4e40158369711bcb3bd29fc1ca08.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, tekobo said:

Hi Brian.  I liked the rotisserie method because it looks great and you get a crisper finish when you slice the meat onto the pan below.  That said, the vertical method is sooo simple and fuss free that it is a winner for me.  I also think that the vertical method can work well in a 32 set up for two zone cooking. Cook slow on the "cool" zone and then move to the hot zone when you want to slice and give your meat a crisp edge.  You are of course limited by the height of your spike in the vertical method while stacking a rotisserie on a 32 would feed a crowd and would look super impressive.  

Not sure if you guys saw but that’s what I did on my 42. Here is a picture. I am going to try rotisserie once I get the motor.

9DEC5C90-BAA4-4094-B8A2-4F504DBCBEB1.jpeg

• Like 3

@Buzilo that looks great. What’s in the top rack?

@tekoboi think you should be able to achieve the same level of crispiness whether it’s rotisserie or vertical. It’s just a function of fine and temperature right? When I did rotisserie I usually did it at 425, I think I did one around 400. when I’ve done vertical I’ve been in the 375 range. It’s taken longer to crisp but looking back on my photos I don’t see a difference, but I’ve been using the double drip pan on the lower grate to block out the flames and try to force the heat to the top where the vertical meat stand is. It seems to have worked. I need to do the next vertical temp at a higher temp. I also found that allowing my meat slices to cook on the bottom  tray worked really really well when I used the double drip pan to block the heat see pics below from most recent cook 

9ABF8D28-A66B-4F38-BC26-2D6F2DF42992.jpeg

842C66D0-E4A3-4097-9A81-841AF24F024A.jpeg

A45DF7D0-0449-4098-8DED-20E26EE16434.jpeg

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Buzilo said:

I think the rotisserie should be more fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is but trying to slice that thing at 425 while the lid is open over an open flame and you’re slicing directly into a foil tray that’s sitting on top of hot coals gets hot and a bit dicey to be honest. Be careful 

Edited by Troble
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Troble said:

@Buzilo that looks great. What’s in the top rack?

@tekoboi think you should be able to achieve the same level of crispiness whether it’s rotisserie or vertical. It’s just a function of fine and temperature right? When I did rotisserie I usually did it at 425, I think I did one around 400. when I’ve done vertical I’ve been in the 375 range. It’s taken longer to crisp but looking back on my photos I don’t see a difference, but I’ve been using the double drip pan on the lower grate to block out the flames and try to force the heat to the top where the vertical meat stand is. It seems to have worked. I need to do the next vertical temp at a higher temp. I also found that allowing my meat slices to cook on the bottom  tray worked really really well when I used the double drip pan to block the heat see pics below from most recent cook 

9ABF8D28-A66B-4F38-BC26-2D6F2DF42992.jpeg

842C66D0-E4A3-4097-9A81-841AF24F024A.jpeg

A45DF7D0-0449-4098-8DED-20E26EE16434.jpeg

The other thing is a desert, dough is made out of almond flour and egg (low carb) inside cream cheese and peanut butter. 

I hear you on the rotisserie.  I think I would take it out to shave the chicken.  Specially in the summer if we’re eating outside, shave some off, and throw it back for more

• Like 1

Thoughts? I’m thinking to keep the crispy chicken warm while the rest cooks

Salton Electric Warming Tray with Automatic Temperature Control, Keeps Food Hot for Buffets, Entertaining, Stainless Steel Warmer Cooktop for Appetizers, Large Surface Measures 25” X 12”, 1000 Watts (TWT40) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0002PZUEO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_H1H7W2QCENDW6EQKRKMX

16oz ribeye, dry aged for 32 days, roasted with mesquite and reverse seared. I used a small MSR smoke pot for the mesquite (I'll use the bigger MSR for long cooks - the small one would probably be sufficient for those too but i have to justify having both!).

Storms were rolling thru the area so i rushed the roasting part of the cook and didn't get as much mesquite flavor as i had hoped. Also planned on grilling the veggies as well but did them in the vermicular kamado due to the storms.

PXL_20210327_204944545.MP.jpg

PXL_20210327_205815802.jpg

PXL_20210327_205957338.jpg

PXL_20210327_210335032.jpg

PXL_20210327_210443220.jpg

• Like 6